IT.COM

WARNING: How to Avoid Domain Scams and Scammers

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Prevention:

Google the domain (also try adding words like stolen, scammed, help, missing, etc), asking other domainers about the domain in question, checking the various marketplaces and making sure things add up... The biggest single indicator of a potential scam is the price. A scammer will want to price the domain low enough that it sells before he gets caught. Keep a watchful eye on new members. Recently modified whois is another warning sign. If other indicators are present (ex. extremely low price), proceed with extreme caution.

Some known scams:

1. Appraisal Scam -- If they ask for an appraisal, it's probably a scam.

2. Snail mail scam letters -- Letters through the mail reminding you to renew your domains from companies which aren't your current registrar

3. Compromised web-based email accounts and keyloggers -- Using an email provided to you by your Internet Service Provider is generally safer than web-based email solutions. There have been known security flaws in certain webmail applications in the past (ex. Gmail) which made compromising member accounts considerably easier than guessing a password. Understand the risks involved with using a web-based solution. Download spyware software such as Adaware Lavasoft and scan your computer daily. Keyloggers are A) easy to put on someone's computer and B) potentially catastrophic to a web based business.

4. Unauthorizing funds (particularly bad with Paypal). Paypal makes it very easy to create chargebacks. Don't accept large amounts by Paypal unless you're dealing with people you absolutely trust. Moneybookers/Escow.com are a step above Paypal, however the best option would be to go with a true escrow service such as Sedo Escrow, Moniker Domain Escrow Service or EscrowDNS.

5. Emails saying your domain requires renew/transfer/you to take a certain action. Check the email and make sure that A) it's from your registrar and B) the url mentioned matches what your registrar's would be. Safer to just visit the registrar than click the links in the email.

6. Incorrect Whois emails -- if your whois isn't incorrect, beware. Phone your registrar if you think they made a mistake.

7. Traffic/Click Fraud -- Self explanatory. If it isn't direct navigation it shouldn't be sold as such. Due diligence is required here.

8. Hijacking -- If you use one of your own domain names as the nameserver, be sure to make sure it doesn't expire or someone could fraudulently gain control of your domains.

9. Escrow.com is NOT 100% safe. They do not cover stolen domains -- buyer beware. Don't think processing a "bargain" through Escrow.com won't potentially end in you being out money. In the event a domain is stolen from someone's account, the domain WILL be returned to the original owner and you'll be out whatever you paid for the domain.

10. One thing I should add: Most free webmail providers will delete accounts after certain periods of inactivity. A clever scammer could notice that your Hotmail/Yahoo/other webmail account had expired, register that same email address (which is now available) and then proceed to "Request Password" at various registrars using what was previously your email address. If you plan on using your webmail infrequently, it's recommend you verify what amount of inactivity is tolerable and won't result in email account deletion.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Another whois alias he uses:
Administrative Contact:
nospam, kev [email protected]
wawan inc
besole rt 01/02 no 426 bayan
Purworejo, jawa tengah 54223
Indonesia

•••
edited

Last edited:
•••
AzN said:
Administrative Contact:
nospam, kev [email protected]
wawan inc
besole rt 01/02 no 426 bayan
Purworejo, jawa tengah 54223
Indonesia

it's my stolen domain.
I push to him just change name and email..
he mailed me using:
[email protected]
:'(

•••
Broker said:
I dont understand how people fall victim to this. As long as the buyers paypal account information and registrars account information match 100% how can he use a charge back and get away with it?

zurc.net said:
How in the world does paypal allow all these charge backs.
If the PayPal account was funded by a credit card, PayPal can hardly do a thing
against approved chargebacks by credit card companies. That's one thing they
have little to no control over.

Kudos to the OP for starting this. Stay alert, everyone.

•••
italiandragon said:
Maybe we should send someoen to visit him.... :yell:

I invite everyone to start selling by Ecrow services , especially Moniker`s Escrow.....the safest.
Well actually this is not a bad idea. See, countries with weak laws work BOTH ways. Seek out a less than reputable Private Investigator in the country. Ask him to take some pictures of the person. The after you get the pics say you will pay a few hundred extra bucks for a picture of his teeth. Nothing else, just his teeth on a white sheet.

•••
I'm not a big fan of gratuitous violence ... but in this case ... considering the real misery that this sort of theft causes both to the direct victims, and all the GREAT TRADERS in Romania and Russia and many other of the presumed "risky business" locations - a few of whom I've enjoyed really good luck doing profitable, honorable deals with in the last few months.

One thing to also be aware of - it's just as easy for a scammer to be sitting in a boiler room in Brooklyn and throwing out red herrings to distant locations to discourage pursuit. Plenty of creeps trying to rip people off right here in the good old U. S. of A. too. Though this guy seems pretty clearly to be a confirmed idiot of the Romanian persuasion this time ....

I think our man in Romania "Investigator Alex" is on the case now anyway ... Didn't know he was a wrestler (just knew he was about 2 meters tall, and approximately as wide!) ... that certainly adds a new dimension for Marian to contemplate as he reviews his dental insurance policy.

•••
Last edited:
•••
In regards of the PayPal chargebacks and similar scamming problems, I advice you guys to have a good read at this thread:

http://www.DNF/f34/paypal-safe-x-xxx-domain-sale-thread-274318.html

PayPal is not safe and I personally limit the usage of it for low amount with trusted people.

•••
Broker said:
I dont understand how people fall victim to this.

It's not easy to find whether it is a real buyer or scammer. Once things like these happen, then you realize your on the wrong end.

•••
I use escrow.com for anything above $500. And wire for anything over $1k or even xoom.com (uses paypal).

Its better to be safe than sorry, I'd rather keep my domains than make a sale which refunds... sorry to hear about all your troubles.

I've also warned about another scammer on the loose in my other post in this thread.

Alex said:
If I do not trust somebody I advise them to use MB, there is no recharge possible.

Another popular misconception. I am not a moneybookers user but I did research them when someone offered to use their escrow -

---------
https://www.moneybookers.com/app/help.pl?s=terms

7.4. When Customer receives a payment through the Service, he/she is NOT protected against a subsequent reversal of the transaction. Examples of such a reversal include, but are not limited to, a credit card reversal by the sender of the payment and a reversal of the transaction because the sender of the payment was using a stolen credit card or unauthorised bank account.
---------

Last edited:
•••
Marian just emailed me from a Kev email, and told me that he read the thread, he has no time now to stay on the internet but he promises to get back here in the next days.

I hope he will do the right thing, I just replied to his email, and I really hope the boy comes to his mind.

Sincerely, I am (ok, was) a wrestler etc, but I would love this to end without involving third parties. I hope he will do the right thing.

And I hope those "next days" will be very soon, and won't be used just to get some extra time. Everybody please search for your domains on google etc, so that they are not sold again. I will give him 2 days myself. It is very enough time to contemplate, and get a connection :)

•••
Please Note He Pushed The Domains To Me---im Me If You Lost Them To Him
I TALKED TO HIM ON IM FOR 30 MINS---HE AGREED TO HAND OVER 14 DOMAINS--HE WAS COOL AND DID IT--I HOPE THIS GUY STOPS THIS

•••
Wibro is a man of his word! Thanks Wibro for the rocovery of my name! I have learned a valueable lesson....ESCROW Always!

•••
Thanks---glad To Help You All Out---the Guy Was Very Nice And Agreed He Did Wrong And Had No Problem Pushing Them To Me---we Have Talked In The Past

•••
Wow, that's amazing that you recovered the domain names Wibro.. Props and rep added:)

I am a PayPal user and this thread is really scaring me.. ha. I've had over 100 successful domain transactions, w/o any scams. Thank God.

I am starting to integrate paypal onto my site so that people can just buy names from my site but now after reading this I'm no so sure if I should proceed. PayPal is extremly popular and so many people allready use it that it is very convinient to use. But the lack of chargeback protection does have me a little worried.

I think that PayPal and GoDaddy should work together to protect sellers from having this happen. If a chargeback happens via PayPal, GoDaddy should ensure the return of the domain name if the seller files a complaint.

btw: I see at the bottom that kevnospam is reading this thread right now. Shouldn't that IP be banned or something?

Last edited:
•••
wibrodomains said:
Please Note He Pushed The Domains To Me---im Me If You Lost Them To Him
I TALKED TO HIM ON IM FOR 30 MINS---HE AGREED TO HAND OVER 14 DOMAINS--HE WAS COOL AND DID IT--I HOPE THIS GUY STOPS THIS
Thank you. That is an awesome job. I am still trying to contact someone there locally to talk to him. I am assuming this is how things are handled there and who am I to pass judgement?

•••
Namepros should give me a 1 million namepro bucks for a reward---LOL

•••
I've been following this thread and i can say im just really impressed with the helpfulness and assistance the NamePro members offer to their fellow domainer. I just think this is what a community is all about. I am glad to be a NP member.

Hats off to everyone who has contributed to this happy ending. :)

•••
wibrodomains said:
I started that off with 50 :)

•••
continued with another 50 ... :) :)

•••
I'm sorry guys - I'm not yet convinced that this all isn't just an attempt to buy this guy more time.

Has everyone gotten their names back? Or at least SOMEONE that doesn't have a feedback of only 1.

I have a hard time believing a scammer would go through all this trouble - just to give the names back.

It just doesn't sit well with me.

I hope this is honestly taking a turn for the better... but I'm NOT convinced yet.

Last edited:
•••
wibrodomains said:
Just got your PM .. waiting for GoDaddy email :tu:

Rep ++
982NP$ sent.

Great Job what you did really :)

•••
This scam wasn't limited to LLLL.com's.

He also stole 3 character .coms.

It'd be real easy - to give the LLLL's back (to get the majority of people off his back) and keep the 3 character names for a nice profit.

Don't back off his case until EVERYTHING has been returned!

Wibro - did he also transfer all of the 3 character .coms he stole?

•••
thanks wibro and other who help to get back my aq0.com , it is a real valuable lesson more than my domain value...

•••
Trust me he stoled 3 letter.coms I already handed over few 3 letter.coms

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back