Dynadot

WARNING: How to Avoid Domain Scams and Scammers

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Prevention:

Google the domain (also try adding words like stolen, scammed, help, missing, etc), asking other domainers about the domain in question, checking the various marketplaces and making sure things add up... The biggest single indicator of a potential scam is the price. A scammer will want to price the domain low enough that it sells before he gets caught. Keep a watchful eye on new members. Recently modified whois is another warning sign. If other indicators are present (ex. extremely low price), proceed with extreme caution.

Some known scams:

1. Appraisal Scam -- If they ask for an appraisal, it's probably a scam.

2. Snail mail scam letters -- Letters through the mail reminding you to renew your domains from companies which aren't your current registrar

3. Compromised web-based email accounts and keyloggers -- Using an email provided to you by your Internet Service Provider is generally safer than web-based email solutions. There have been known security flaws in certain webmail applications in the past (ex. Gmail) which made compromising member accounts considerably easier than guessing a password. Understand the risks involved with using a web-based solution. Download spyware software such as Adaware Lavasoft and scan your computer daily. Keyloggers are A) easy to put on someone's computer and B) potentially catastrophic to a web based business.

4. Unauthorizing funds (particularly bad with Paypal). Paypal makes it very easy to create chargebacks. Don't accept large amounts by Paypal unless you're dealing with people you absolutely trust. Moneybookers/Escow.com are a step above Paypal, however the best option would be to go with a true escrow service such as Sedo Escrow, Moniker Domain Escrow Service or EscrowDNS.

5. Emails saying your domain requires renew/transfer/you to take a certain action. Check the email and make sure that A) it's from your registrar and B) the url mentioned matches what your registrar's would be. Safer to just visit the registrar than click the links in the email.

6. Incorrect Whois emails -- if your whois isn't incorrect, beware. Phone your registrar if you think they made a mistake.

7. Traffic/Click Fraud -- Self explanatory. If it isn't direct navigation it shouldn't be sold as such. Due diligence is required here.

8. Hijacking -- If you use one of your own domain names as the nameserver, be sure to make sure it doesn't expire or someone could fraudulently gain control of your domains.

9. Escrow.com is NOT 100% safe. They do not cover stolen domains -- buyer beware. Don't think processing a "bargain" through Escrow.com won't potentially end in you being out money. In the event a domain is stolen from someone's account, the domain WILL be returned to the original owner and you'll be out whatever you paid for the domain.

10. One thing I should add: Most free webmail providers will delete accounts after certain periods of inactivity. A clever scammer could notice that your Hotmail/Yahoo/other webmail account had expired, register that same email address (which is now available) and then proceed to "Request Password" at various registrars using what was previously your email address. If you plan on using your webmail infrequently, it's recommend you verify what amount of inactivity is tolerable and won't result in email account deletion.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Thanks---glad To Help You All Out---the Guy Was Very Nice And Agreed He Did Wrong And Had No Problem Pushing Them To Me---we Have Talked In The Past

•••
Namepros should give me a 1 million namepro bucks for a reward---LOL

•••
thanks for the headsup! i actually received a bulk offer on my names from this person last night by email using the kevnospam account. i had an odd feeling, Declined his offer, and told him (since the text from my LLLL offers thread was pasted into the email) to please make future offers via pm or post OVER the forum, for both of our safety, as it includes a level of 'identity' and credibility. He made a second offer anyway via email which i declined. havent heard back since! thanks again for the info and i hope everyone gets their names back! sp

Last edited:
•••
•••
As I said in another thread, PayPal put a temporary hold on my account because they thought there was suspicious activity. I have purchased over $250,000 worth of domains using PayPal in the last month and they thought there was a problem with my account. They didn't open customer service until 4:00 AM PST so I contacted them as soon as they opened (since this all happened in the middle of the night) and they immediately released my account and the last 5 transactions I purchased last night. I have contacted each one individually to let them know everything is fine. I have my reputation to protect and I am more than aware of the scammers that are on the threads. Sorry about that, but PayPal shut me down for 8 hours. I'm back up again. John

•••
It always stinks how a few bad seeds ruin it for the rest of us!

Thanks for the heads up Reece,

Without your warning, Many would probably fall victim of this scam. The odds always are... & with so many attempts...

Be on the lookout.

•••
As long as you pay with Paypal, you're covered should the seller choose not to follow through. The burden is on the seller to provide proof that he "shipped" the item in question.

I've never been a big fan of selling domains using Paypal tbh -- and I'm sure some of you have seen one of my many rants on here about it. I was the victim of a similar scam (nothing to do with LLLL.coms though) in December of 2006 and am surprised at how little Paypal did to investigate the situation or even give me the time of day to tell my side of the story... They're clearly focussed on being "Buyer Safe" rather than "Transaction Safe" like Escrow.com would be...

I never do any transactions through Paypal with people who send emails to my whois listed email address. I'm very cautious about even doing Paypal transactions with newer Namepros members or members with little feedback. You can never be too safe... That $25 escrow fee is really worth the peace of mind... I do every transaction over $500 via escrow except when I have a good relationship with the buyer.

4ltrorg said:
Hmmm....word of advice. Last night someone posted an unbelievable offer for a great domain at a fantastic price here at Namepros. However, the ad said NO PM'S and he stated that you needed to send him and email. He then spelled out his email with the dot etc.. The person was a member since 2004 so I thought, it was a little strange, but, o.k.

Being a dummy late at night (12:00 am in California) I opened up my email program and sent them a letter saying I'd take the name. However, now looking back I realize this person has my personal email addres. So exercise caution not only if someone contacts you through your email, but, when responding to great offers for domains with a message that they won't accept PM's and that you need to email them.

I just checked my email and I see that he accepted my offer. Do you think I should take a chance and buy it???

•••
I know this guy back when he had that issue with wibrodomains.

Being a Romanian, I just gave him a call. His name is Marian Dorobantu (and MArian is a male name, not a female name, Eg), and I spoke over 10 minutes to him.

He admits he owns the canadawallet.com domains and others, but says he registered them some months ago.

I treated him as he would not be guilty (though I have a feeling about this). He says he did not steal any domain. I told him he was banned on namepros, but he said that this has nothing to do with him being guilty.

Anyway he gave me an email address, and I will link him to this thread. He said that later tonight he will come and post a reply here.

I told him that he is playing with fire in case he is doing this, because Romanian laws are very strict nowadays, and the public media is eager for a story of a dumb scammer.

Moreover, I will follow this thread and will go to the police, because people are scammed by a Romanian. I had many unpleasant issues with this, as once I lost a $x.xxx deal just because the buyer saw I was a Romanian, and he did not trust me, no matter I tried to use Moniker escrow, no matter I showed him my TR over here.

So I am personally very pissed off by scammers here. And I will follow with all the steps till the scammer will not be punished accordingly, and till the media picks up the story.
And I have a very good relation to the media.

The police also likes these types of investigation, and they will treat it seriously, but I will wait till I go to the police to see if there can be a middle solution found.

I would go personally to teach a lesson (as Filter said), I am 160kg (352 lbs), and I was a wrestler till I broke my knees. (Btw Reece, you are a nutritionist, help me!!!! )

Anyway, I will wait till he replies to the thread, I will just write the email now, and let's see. It should be interesting

•••
This is the question we should be asking ourselves. How in the world does paypal allow all these charge backs... Is it not obvious that if a account is doing 10+ charge backs in such a short period there obviously scamming? Why do we continue to use a service like PayPal when they do absolutely nothing to protect us whether we are selling or buying. PayPal is a online merchant and they have absolutely no dispute system for digital transactions. There should be a NamePros vs. PayPal strike... No one on Namepros is to use PayPal til something is done with these situations. We are a small portion of the rest of the world, but believe me, they will feel it.

-zurc

•••
Please Note He Pushed The Domains To Me---im Me If You Lost Them To Him
I TALKED TO HIM ON IM FOR 30 MINS---HE AGREED TO HAND OVER 14 DOMAINS--HE WAS COOL AND DID IT--I HOPE THIS GUY STOPS THIS

•••
wibrodomains said:
Trust me he stoled 3 letter.coms I already handed over few 3 letter.coms

I hope you mean 3 character .com's

•••
It'd be nice if the first post of this thread had a list of EVERY name this guy stole - with it's current status, returned/MIA.

•••
My suggestion on this matter now:
If you sell a domain on this forum and accept paypal "Make sure that person has very good feedback"

Never take Paypal with Ebay Auctions

If you do take paypal with Ebay Auctions i would wait 48 hours untill transferring that domain"Allows enough time for paypal to email you saying they are looking into a fraud complaint"
When i sold mine with ebay "Paypal emailed me 12 hours later and ebay emailed me 1 hour after the auction saying it was fraud.

Its up to you how you want to sell domains but be careful=I was lucky to get them back.

Plus pull up the contact info for the buyer on ebay and give them a call ask them if they bought a domain

Last edited:
•••
epasaport said:
his profile http://www.namepros.com/member.php?userid=81945

domain was yvj.org , he is online but he is not answering pms

He made a deal with tristan too, I hope he is gonna resolve this issue and if not then we gotta trace down his ip adress and location with the help of NP staff to get more details about him..

•••
Actually - You guys NEED to stop posting in the forum like this and Actually start reporting items to the Mods/Staff etc ... We have a system in place for this.
You can report posts, Contact the Moderators over particular sections, or use the Contact Management sections

Until your post was pointed out to us - There was no way for us to even know of this latest incident. It was not reported ....

BTW - That member has "0" posts here ... Which leads to another problem.
If you insist on doing deals via PM , You need to really screen those people yourselves somewhat. Doing deals with someone via PM with "0" posts here isn't a very wise thing to do.

They seem to have 2 accounts - the older one matches the email posted above.
dly Registered [email protected] 02-02-2008 02-10-2008 15

hostgator Registered [email protected] 02-08-2008 02-10-2008 0

Domain Name: REGFEE.US
Domain ID: D15727500-US
Sponsoring Registrar: ENOM, INC.
Domain Status: clientTransferProhibited
Registrant ID: 328704B2971BC573
Registrant Name: person person
Registrant Organization: personperson.net
Registrant Address1: personperson.net
Registrant City: personperson.net
Registrant State/Province: NY
Registrant Postal Code: 10000
Registrant Country: United States
Registrant Country Code: US
Registrant Phone Number: +1.10000000
Registrant Email: [email protected]
Registrant Application Purpose: P1
Registrant Nexus Category: C11

Fake whois as well ^

I'm sorry this has happened , But there is little we can do besides PM them ourselves and then close the accounts really. As a few have already suggested - You really need to start using more secure payment methods and dealing with only people who have something to lose. People known and with an actual reputation to risk in this Industry -or- Companies and Corporate type entities are your safest bet.
If they have nothing to lose .... They do not care.

•••
Alex said:
Is this really your picture?

Why would I put someone`s else picture on my profile?

epasaport said:
saying me are you surprised this is kidding , You are saying this a person who is in bad mood. thanks for your other best advices

well, I can understand that, but you should also understand that YOU made the mistake and I`m here in your thread trying to help you a bit but if you don`t understand the mistake you have done or you are not willing to understand it , then basically what I am going to advice you?

I would not trust a member which joined 1 month ago, you trusted one who just got here the day before you sent him your domain.....that`s the problem.

It`s like welcomming home someone just met on the road. It`s just a big NO-NO.

You lost , there is not much we can do anymore, he`ll probably have 10 millions different e-mail addresses and accounts if he`s not stupid so there is nothing to do, just move on and learn how to prevent this mistakes. I have seen/read people losing 4 figures domains on chargebacks, I have read about good memmbers gone bad all of a sudden...it`s life, it`s the risky part of our business. To cut it you got only 1 solution: stop using PayPal and start using wire payments or Moniker Escrow. I`m doing it this way too.
But for you...It`s up to you of course.

•••
bgmv said:
I just contacted my lawyer. He is a corporate domain attorney and deals mostly with TM issues but I am hoping he can help. I also asked about a class action suit. I will keep everyone posted.

Thank You everyone for your help.

and who`s going to pay him?

and I`m sure PayPal has a ten millions little notes that when we register we accept....

•••
I take back my domain thanks to Snapnames , they helped me very much , The domain is in my control panel , I sent + rep to who support me while I am in trouble , This is the proof snapnames is the best and trusted company , the scammer dishonorable hostgator will be punished by God, if I found him I will give him his punishment.

Last edited:
•••
•••
Jack.Whisky said:
Just got the above PM from new member

Asys

Just reported to NP staff

I just got a PM with that by the same member.

SO I JUST WANT TO SAY 2 LITTLE THINGS TO THIS B@STARD:

1) I WON`T FORGIVE YOU , I WON`T REPORT YOU TO AUTHORITIES , I CAN`T WRITE WHAT I`LL DO.

2) I`LL CHASE YOU WHEREVER YOU ARE, MEXICO OR AFRICA I DON`T MIND, I`LL KEEP CHASING YOU TILL I`LL DO WHAT I NEED TO DO AND YOU WILL HAVE THE RIGHT TO PRAY.

•••
domainar said:
i clicked on the link but i did NOT enter anything.
as soon as i saw it was not linking to NPs i closed the window.
should be fine then, I don't think there's any cookie-snatching compromise they can do ...

Might be appropriate counter-measure to spam the spammer ... that is - visit their bogus login page and enter some bogus login info ... if enough people do this, then they'll have mostly garbage for their harvest. Maybe best to do it through a proxy service though, just to be on the safe side with regard to revealing your IP address. Extra-paranoid folks might want to first log out of NP to clear all cookies - but that's being gratuitous just for the sake of it - good security habit though.

:sold:

Last edited:
•••
ideesweb said:
These idiots must not have lives, they need a hobby, like actually working for money.

lol Bring the whole forum.

I was thinking something more along the lines of getting a few guys together and kidnapping him..wrap a bandana around his eyes and throw him in the back of a car..drive to a secluted place with one laptop..make him login to his accounts and transfer the domains back to their owner..then beat the snot out of him and leave him to walk home...But then again, that may be to mean (Personally I wouldn't think so!) :alien:

•••
notlikeyou said:
Anyone tried using bugmenot there are a few U/PW combos for the hacker site there?

http://no_url_shorteners/35nam8

hksteve is on desihackers now!.....but none of the U/PW combos are working. :td:

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back