Domain Empire

WARNING: How to Avoid Domain Scams and Scammers

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Prevention:

Google the domain (also try adding words like stolen, scammed, help, missing, etc), asking other domainers about the domain in question, checking the various marketplaces and making sure things add up... The biggest single indicator of a potential scam is the price. A scammer will want to price the domain low enough that it sells before he gets caught. Keep a watchful eye on new members. Recently modified whois is another warning sign. If other indicators are present (ex. extremely low price), proceed with extreme caution.

Some known scams:

1. Appraisal Scam -- If they ask for an appraisal, it's probably a scam.

2. Snail mail scam letters -- Letters through the mail reminding you to renew your domains from companies which aren't your current registrar

3. Compromised web-based email accounts and keyloggers -- Using an email provided to you by your Internet Service Provider is generally safer than web-based email solutions. There have been known security flaws in certain webmail applications in the past (ex. Gmail) which made compromising member accounts considerably easier than guessing a password. Understand the risks involved with using a web-based solution. Download spyware software such as Adaware Lavasoft and scan your computer daily. Keyloggers are A) easy to put on someone's computer and B) potentially catastrophic to a web based business.

4. Unauthorizing funds (particularly bad with Paypal). Paypal makes it very easy to create chargebacks. Don't accept large amounts by Paypal unless you're dealing with people you absolutely trust. Moneybookers/Escow.com are a step above Paypal, however the best option would be to go with a true escrow service such as Sedo Escrow, Moniker Domain Escrow Service or EscrowDNS.

5. Emails saying your domain requires renew/transfer/you to take a certain action. Check the email and make sure that A) it's from your registrar and B) the url mentioned matches what your registrar's would be. Safer to just visit the registrar than click the links in the email.

6. Incorrect Whois emails -- if your whois isn't incorrect, beware. Phone your registrar if you think they made a mistake.

7. Traffic/Click Fraud -- Self explanatory. If it isn't direct navigation it shouldn't be sold as such. Due diligence is required here.

8. Hijacking -- If you use one of your own domain names as the nameserver, be sure to make sure it doesn't expire or someone could fraudulently gain control of your domains.

9. Escrow.com is NOT 100% safe. They do not cover stolen domains -- buyer beware. Don't think processing a "bargain" through Escrow.com won't potentially end in you being out money. In the event a domain is stolen from someone's account, the domain WILL be returned to the original owner and you'll be out whatever you paid for the domain.

10. One thing I should add: Most free webmail providers will delete accounts after certain periods of inactivity. A clever scammer could notice that your Hotmail/Yahoo/other webmail account had expired, register that same email address (which is now available) and then proceed to "Request Password" at various registrars using what was previously your email address. If you plan on using your webmail infrequently, it's recommend you verify what amount of inactivity is tolerable and won't result in email account deletion.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I was up for the last 24 hours and i'm so tired right now .. info/details have been collected about this scammer so far.

Ronald Regging said:
Did some digging, heres what I found so far:

http://forums.DigitalPoint/showthread.php?t=606491

A post on DP by a user named Kevnospam (banned), asking for an appraisal for the domain PayMass.com

PayMass.com is owned by:

Whois Record

Registrant:
Dorobantu Marian
bd tomis nr 68
Constanta, Constanta 8700
Romania

* Then after posting all of his/her emails .. Bill from NamePros Management found his/her accounts :

Bill said:
Username Usergroup Email Join Date Last Login Posts
securekev Account Closed [email protected] 11-07-2007 01-29-2008 25
securenkvd Account Closed [email protected] 11-24-2007 11-24-2007 0
kevnospam Account Closed [email protected] 01-29-2008 01-29-2008 0

* Then i start scanning all of these usernames posts. and i found this thread :

http://www.namepros.com/for-sale-advertising-board/396534-each-member-you-invite-my-forum.html

I checked the whois for http://www.theonlinedeal.com which validate what "Ronald Regging" post earlier. Also validate Digg's profile info : http://digg.com/users/r1gsxr

* Digg profile photo is a bike which similar to the photo in his/her Yahoo Messenger

* His/her GetAFreelancer account : http://www.getafreelancer.com/users/544095.html

* He/she uploaded some photos for Romania here .. he/she was also chatting with others in Romanian language. i hope anyone speak Romanian can find more info about this scammer.

* Some of his/her domains ..

Canadawallet.com
Dieforcash.com
Fep.name
Masspayment.net
Orderbulk.net
Paybycent.com
Paybymoney.com
Paygp.com
Paymass.com
Pokergeneraltalk.com
Sexismylife.net
Pokerwish.net
Uswallet.com

* Some of his/her emails ..

[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]

* Yahoo messenger nickname: Crazy Crazy

•••
good luck for you EG.domains and for trendicator
i really hope you get your names back :)

•••
Got similar offer from a NP first time poster with similar email -

I'll take that domain name for $100 If you interested push domain name to my email id kwell****@gmail.com and let me know soon your PayPal id.Good deal. Good luck.

I am not sure is it scam or not, so i didnt reveal complete email.

•••
someone should post all this into all the domains forums

•••
Thanks Reece.

This means always be careful when you enter into any sort of purchase or trade (without escrow). Paypal will not help you once the payment has gone over. I've lost $500 to a DP member not too long ago when I paid through paypal, the guy took off with my money. Paypal's dispute claim! - don't even know why they are an online service when they can't support online digital transactions.

Anyhow, just be careful and think twice before you hit the send button.

-NK

•••
Thanks for the heads up Reece

Much appreciated!

•••
•••
I know this guy back when he had that issue with wibrodomains.

Being a Romanian, I just gave him a call. His name is Marian Dorobantu (and MArian is a male name, not a female name, Eg), and I spoke over 10 minutes to him.

He admits he owns the canadawallet.com domains and others, but says he registered them some months ago.

I treated him as he would not be guilty (though I have a feeling about this). He says he did not steal any domain. I told him he was banned on namepros, but he said that this has nothing to do with him being guilty.

Anyway he gave me an email address, and I will link him to this thread. He said that later tonight he will come and post a reply here.

I told him that he is playing with fire in case he is doing this, because Romanian laws are very strict nowadays, and the public media is eager for a story of a dumb scammer.

Moreover, I will follow this thread and will go to the police, because people are scammed by a Romanian. I had many unpleasant issues with this, as once I lost a $x.xxx deal just because the buyer saw I was a Romanian, and he did not trust me, no matter I tried to use Moniker escrow, no matter I showed him my TR over here.

So I am personally very pissed off by scammers here. And I will follow with all the steps till the scammer will not be punished accordingly, and till the media picks up the story.
And I have a very good relation to the media.

The police also likes these types of investigation, and they will treat it seriously, but I will wait till I go to the police to see if there can be a middle solution found.

I would go personally to teach a lesson (as Filter said), I am 160kg (352 lbs), and I was a wrestler till I broke my knees. (Btw Reece, you are a nutritionist, help me!!!! )

Anyway, I will wait till he replies to the thread, I will just write the email now, and let's see. It should be interesting

•••
Alex said:

Being a Romanian, I just gave him a call. His name is Marian Dorobantu (and MArian is a male name, not a female name, Eg), and I spoke over 10 minutes to him.

He admits he owns the canadawallet.com domains and others, but says he registered them some months ago.

I treated him as he would not be guilty (though I have a feeling about this). He says he did not steal any domain. I told him he was banned on namepros, but he said that this has nothing to do with him being guilty.

Anyway he gave me an email address, and I will link him to this thread. He said that later tonight he will come and post a reply here.

I told him that he is playing with fire in case he is doing this, because Romanian laws are very strict nowadays, and the public media is eager for a story of a dumb scammer.

Moreover, I will follow this thread and will go to the police, because people are scammed by a Romanian. I had many unpleasant issues with this, as once I lost a $x.xxx deal just because the buyer saw I was a Romanian, and he did not trust me, no matter I tried to use Moniker escrow, no matter I showed him my TR over here.

So I am personally very pissed off by scammers here. And I will follow with all the steps till the scammer will not be punished accordingly, and till the media picks up the story.

The police also likes these types of investigation, and they will treat it seriously, but I will wait till I go to the police to see if there can be a middle solution found.

I would go personally to teach a lesson (as Filter said), I am 160kg (352 lbs), and I was a wrestler till I broke my knees. (Btw Reece, you are a nutritionist, help me!!!! )

Anyway, I will wait till he replies to the thread, I will just write the email now, and let's see. It should be interesting
i read the thread you helped wibrodomains and your help was really very important to solve that
i am sure now you will be also very important to solve this issue as well

•••
Alex said:

Alex : my stand up for you and a applause!

You got really the point: eveytime there is someone scamming from Est Europe or Russia, then all we can ear or read is americans saying "I won`t deal with anyone from those Countries..."

Go get him and make him pay!

•••
bricio said:
i read the thread you helped wibrodomains and your help was really very important to solve that
i am sure now you will be also very important to solve this issue as well

Actually then, Wibro solved the matter for himself, as I could not help there much.

•••
•••
•••
zurc.net said:
Even more of a reason to hold onto my LLLL.com's
My thoughts exactly!

•••
I dont understand how people fall victim to this. As long as the buyers paypal account information and registrars account information match 100% how can he use a charge back and get away with it?

•••

I know that romanian has bad reputation, and I know that it is not because ALL of the romanians are bad, it is because of this stupid scammers ruining the reputation>.< being born at the same country that receive the bad reputation like romania too, I do understand this matter:).

thanks for the work~~

Broker said:
I dont understand how people fall victim to this. As long as the buyers paypal account information and registrars account information match 100% how can he use a charge back and get away with it?

as much as I know:

let's say you have a paypal, you have 0 balance of paypal fund, but paypal knows your credit card.

and then you decide to pay someone , let's say you pay 100 USD.
what will paypal do is charging your credit card and at the same time paying the receptor 100 USD.

but if you credit card is somehow a fake one/piracy/stolen from others/etc, then paypal will charge the 100 USD back.

not sure if this happens to verified paypal tho

as far as I know, paypal is very safe if you deal with verified member with some trade reputations/trade scores

•••
Reece said:
...snip...
Known email addresses the scammer uses include:

[email protected]

[email protected]

[email protected]

[email protected]
...snip...

One of my most frequent responses to buyers is: "Sorry, I don't do business with free email users". Since AOL is not free I ask: "do you have another email account" to try and get a different email address, or have them contact me through my site contact form. The odds are better if you have a couple of email accounts for a scammer. When they contact me through one of my sites then I get a confirmation of their email address, their IP address on both the initial and confirmation email, and the detailed email header when I contact them offline.

Sure, not foolproof, but the "no free email user" cuts way back on wasted time. I may lose an occasional sale, but that is life. Just a suggestion.

Marc

•••
MattheP said:
Got similar offer from a NP first time poster with similar email -
I am not sure is it scam or not, so i didnt reveal complete email.

[email protected] is also a scammer.

She/He has scammed a lot of people on DP, tried with me but I've been doing business online for a long time and didn't fall for the 'transfer domains first... then payment'

If she/he is on NP I recommend the account be closed asap. I also have related info and other email IDs of this person if required.

BTW, I had a bulk offer for all my domains for sale over at DNF, wanted to pay by paypal - but since I don't know the person and since the amount was four figures I told him to pay via escrow.com... sure enough he backed out... citing 'lack of funds' as an excuse.

He also has an account on NP, but I don't know for sure if it was a scam. Just smelt like that to me.

I'd be happy to share his NP/DNF ID w/ mods for verification if required. We can do without scammers...

Last edited:
•••
This is the question we should be asking ourselves. How in the world does paypal allow all these charge backs... Is it not obvious that if a account is doing 10+ charge backs in such a short period there obviously scamming? Why do we continue to use a service like PayPal when they do absolutely nothing to protect us whether we are selling or buying. PayPal is a online merchant and they have absolutely no dispute system for digital transactions. There should be a NamePros vs. PayPal strike... No one on Namepros is to use PayPal til something is done with these situations. We are a small portion of the rest of the world, but believe me, they will feel it.

-zurc

•••
It is 2 AM in Romania, and it seems he did not reply yet. I wonder if he'll do, and I hope he will, for his own advantage.

zurc.net said:
This is the question we should be asking ourselves. How in the world does paypal allow all these charge backs... Is it not obvious that if a account is doing 10+ charge backs in such a short period there obviously scamming? Why do we continue to use a service like PayPal when they do absolutely nothing to protect us whether we are selling or buying. PayPal is a online merchant and they have absolutely no dispute system for digital transactions. There should be a NamePros vs. PayPal strike... No one on Namepros is to use PayPal til something is done with these situations. We are a small portion of the rest of the world, but believe me, they will feel it.

-zurc

I wonder about this too. What the ..... does Paypal for domainers and webmasters?
This is another discussion, but it is shameful for a company with such stupid service to deserve the money of domainers.

I do not like Paypal, first I do not like it for their awful customer service, do not like it for their high fees, and for their insecurity issues (just read www.paypalsucks.com).

I prefer to conduct my business through Moneybookers, or Moneybookers escrow. Yes, there is a very cheap escrow service over at Moneybookers that charges you an incredible 1%. Less than the almighty Paypal fee. Ohh, and forgot to mention Moneybookers support is good, security is very high, and fees are lower. If I do not trust somebody I advise them to use MB, there is no recharge possible. And if they feel insecure dealing with me using a service that does not allow chargebacks, I ask them to use the escrow service, and everybody is happy. I did this before and everything went smooth.

A company like Paypal, does not deserve a penny from domainers.

all the time in every industry there will be b***ards like this scammer who will use any loophole for quick money. If he does not come and reply to this thread till tomorrow, in my eyes he is 100% scammer, and I will talk to the police.

•••
Yup thats the guy who stoled my domain and i drove him nuts to get my domain back---I will email idiot right now

Trust me paypal.com will not help you---He steals people paypal accounts---I bet your auction has been canceled right?? You need to keep an eye on where he is listing the domain he stoled from you--Email that company and tell them its stolen---I will try to get your domain back for you

Hi! This is his real Email address and info

Technical Contact:
Dorobantu Marian [email protected]
bd tomis nr 68
Constanta, 8700
Romania

Ps Godaddy.com will not help you---I will try to get them back---

keep an eye on this auction house for your domains

http://www.okazii.ro

My Posting on this guy with my domain----Email him over and over and over

http://www.namepros.com/domain-name...ghlight=pr3.net

•••
paypal dispute sometimes good , I bought readable LLL.org I gave $400 however the seller did not pushed the domain in 24 hours I felt seller is the scammer, I opened a dispute after that in 2 hours the seller pushed the domain ,then I closed the dispute, I hope you will take your money back if not take your domain back , The scammers will be punished

Last edited:
•••
mwzd said:
[email protected] is also a scammer.

She/He has scammed a lot of people on DP, tried with me but I've been doing business online for a long time and didn't fall for the 'transfer domains first... then payment'

I also got scam offer from this email, his/her nick on np was buyer777

•••
I'm not sure if GoDaddy will help us.. this is GoDaddy reply to my ticket.

Thank you for contacting Online Support.

Please note that we do not get involved in user-to-user domain transactions, outside of TDNAM and our DomainBuy Service.

While this domain is registered with us, we are not the registrant, or owner, of the domain. If you feel that the use of this domain is in violation of copyrights, is infringing upon trademarks or is otherwise in violation of applicable laws, you may wish to contact the current registrant of the domain to seek resolution. You can find the registrant's contact information by performing a WHOIS search on the domain on any of the multiple WHOIS search sites available. We also provide a WHOIS search for domains that are registered within our systems, which is accessible from the following link:

Search the WHOIS Database

If you are unable to come to a satisfactory agreement with the registrant, you may wish to proceed through a court or arbitration forum, such as WIPO (The World Intellectual Property Organization, [email protected]). Should we receive notice of a pending dispute from a court or arbitration forum, we will lock the domain name so it cannot be transferred or have the registrant information modified. Likewise, when we receive a decision from the legal body, we will update the domain name accordingly.

Note that, per the Uniform Domain Name Dispute Resolution Policy(URDP) set forth by ICANN, registrars cannot allow the transfer or change in ownership of a disputed domain name without direction from a court or arbitration forum. You can find more information regarding the URDP on this ICANN page:

PS: Thank you so much Alex for your support.

•••
Edit....

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back