Dynadot

WARNING: How to Avoid Domain Scams and Scammers

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Prevention:

Google the domain (also try adding words like stolen, scammed, help, missing, etc), asking other domainers about the domain in question, checking the various marketplaces and making sure things add up... The biggest single indicator of a potential scam is the price. A scammer will want to price the domain low enough that it sells before he gets caught. Keep a watchful eye on new members. Recently modified whois is another warning sign. If other indicators are present (ex. extremely low price), proceed with extreme caution.

Some known scams:

1. Appraisal Scam -- If they ask for an appraisal, it's probably a scam.

2. Snail mail scam letters -- Letters through the mail reminding you to renew your domains from companies which aren't your current registrar

3. Compromised web-based email accounts and keyloggers -- Using an email provided to you by your Internet Service Provider is generally safer than web-based email solutions. There have been known security flaws in certain webmail applications in the past (ex. Gmail) which made compromising member accounts considerably easier than guessing a password. Understand the risks involved with using a web-based solution. Download spyware software such as Adaware Lavasoft and scan your computer daily. Keyloggers are A) easy to put on someone's computer and B) potentially catastrophic to a web based business.

4. Unauthorizing funds (particularly bad with Paypal). Paypal makes it very easy to create chargebacks. Don't accept large amounts by Paypal unless you're dealing with people you absolutely trust. Moneybookers/Escow.com are a step above Paypal, however the best option would be to go with a true escrow service such as Sedo Escrow, Moniker Domain Escrow Service or EscrowDNS.

5. Emails saying your domain requires renew/transfer/you to take a certain action. Check the email and make sure that A) it's from your registrar and B) the url mentioned matches what your registrar's would be. Safer to just visit the registrar than click the links in the email.

6. Incorrect Whois emails -- if your whois isn't incorrect, beware. Phone your registrar if you think they made a mistake.

7. Traffic/Click Fraud -- Self explanatory. If it isn't direct navigation it shouldn't be sold as such. Due diligence is required here.

8. Hijacking -- If you use one of your own domain names as the nameserver, be sure to make sure it doesn't expire or someone could fraudulently gain control of your domains.

9. Escrow.com is NOT 100% safe. They do not cover stolen domains -- buyer beware. Don't think processing a "bargain" through Escrow.com won't potentially end in you being out money. In the event a domain is stolen from someone's account, the domain WILL be returned to the original owner and you'll be out whatever you paid for the domain.

10. One thing I should add: Most free webmail providers will delete accounts after certain periods of inactivity. A clever scammer could notice that your Hotmail/Yahoo/other webmail account had expired, register that same email address (which is now available) and then proceed to "Request Password" at various registrars using what was previously your email address. If you plan on using your webmail infrequently, it's recommend you verify what amount of inactivity is tolerable and won't result in email account deletion.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
mhdoc said:
That seems surprising; with 54 positive iTraders and an 8 month history I would generally assume the seller was real.
there are some scammers build a good reputation just to seem legit, than they come and scam you

i am not surprised at all... if you read other forums you will see it is happening every single day and DP is the place where there are more scammers
he tried to scam people there yesterday and his account is active yet... he must be banned

•••
Shenron said:
Well well... since this is also SCAM related, please check this thread and stay alert:

http://forums.DigitalPoint/showthread.php?t=689996

;)

That's sad. If you look through his Itrader you can see that he has had successful mid to high dollar deals, along with a bunch of low dollar avatar and sig line sales. I hope the seller has made a mistake, type or something.. It's just horrible to see someone with such good Itrader go so bad.

•••
I've seen similar stuff at DNF lately...

Always be careful no matter who you're dealing with (including mods!). Having 50+ iTrader doesn't mean much if the guy's account has been hacked by a scammer.

GreenGambler said:
That's sad. If you look through his Itrader you can see that he has had successful mid to high dollar deals, along with a bunch of low dollar avatar and sig line sales. I hope the seller has made a mistake, type or something.. It's just horrible to see someone with such good Itrader go so bad.

•••
today in namepros the nickname hostgator , sent me $375 via paypal for a domain I pushed then immediately opened a dispute of unauthorized payment he is the scammer I lost the domain

•••
I am telling you guys, start using more wire transfer payments....I`m not selling anymore via PayPal unless very exceptional circumnstances but will progressively shut down the use of PayPal and other similar cr@p.

I`ll rather not sell that sell at risk.

And scammers are active at TDNAM as well: I have sold 3 domain twice and both times TDNAM had to pull them back to me closing buyers accounts.

Maybe I should start asking an ID as well...lol

I put my face , my name and everything true on here, why a genuine buyer would have a problem doing the same?

•••
epasaport said:
today in namepros the nickname hostgator , sent me $375 via paypal for a domain I pushed then immediately opened a dispute of unauthorized payment he is the scammer I lost the domain

It would be great if you provide more information if your seeking for any possible help from forum administration and fellow npers, what was the domain name? I cant even find that user id by search function because there are 100s of hostgator hosting threads .. can you put a link to his profile? contact NP staff if you havent yet.

•••
Netizen said:
It would be great if you provide more information if your seeking for any possible help from forum administration and fellow npers, what was the domain name? I cant even find that user id by search function because there are 100s of hostgator hosting threads .. can you put a link to his profile? contact NP staff if you havent yet.

his profile http://www.namepros.com/member.php?userid=81945

domain was yvj.org , he is online but he is not answering pms

•••
•••
epasaport said:
his profile http://www.namepros.com/member.php?userid=81945

domain was yvj.org , he is online but he is not answering pms

He made a deal with tristan too, I hope he is gonna resolve this issue and if not then we gotta trace down his ip adress and location with the help of NP staff to get more details about him..

•••
I moved manage.snapnames.com [email protected] account then he closed this account he pushed the domain another snapnames account proffesional scammer ,

•••
epasaport said:
I moved manage.snapnames.com [email protected] account then he closed this account he pushed the domain another snapnames account proffesional scammer ,

I sent him pm but havent heard back yet, lets see if he has anything to say.. if domain is with snapnames then it would be better you contact jeremy who is rep there, very helpful person..

•••
Netizen said:
I sent him pm but havent heard back yet, lets see if he has anything to say.. if domain is with snapnames then it would be better you contact jeremy who is rep there, very helpful person..

is jeremy online what is his nickname ? who is releated to this subjects in namepros who is online in staff for I send pm ?

•••
Actually - You guys NEED to stop posting in the forum like this and Actually start reporting items to the Mods/Staff etc ... We have a system in place for this.
You can report posts, Contact the Moderators over particular sections, or use the Contact Management sections

Until your post was pointed out to us - There was no way for us to even know of this latest incident. It was not reported ....

BTW - That member has "0" posts here ... Which leads to another problem.
If you insist on doing deals via PM , You need to really screen those people yourselves somewhat. Doing deals with someone via PM with "0" posts here isn't a very wise thing to do.

They seem to have 2 accounts - the older one matches the email posted above.
dly Registered [email protected] 02-02-2008 02-10-2008 15

hostgator Registered [email protected] 02-08-2008 02-10-2008 0

Domain Name: REGFEE.US
Domain ID: D15727500-US
Sponsoring Registrar: ENOM, INC.
Domain Status: clientTransferProhibited
Registrant ID: 328704B2971BC573
Registrant Name: person person
Registrant Organization: personperson.net
Registrant Address1: personperson.net
Registrant City: personperson.net
Registrant State/Province: NY
Registrant Postal Code: 10000
Registrant Country: United States
Registrant Country Code: US
Registrant Phone Number: +1.10000000
Registrant Email: [email protected]
Registrant Application Purpose: P1
Registrant Nexus Category: C11

Fake whois as well ^

I'm sorry this has happened , But there is little we can do besides PM them ourselves and then close the accounts really. As a few have already suggested - You really need to start using more secure payment methods and dealing with only people who have something to lose. People known and with an actual reputation to risk in this Industry -or- Companies and Corporate type entities are your safest bet.
If they have nothing to lose .... They do not care.

•••
Be careful LLLL.Com sellers as another scammer just born somewhere in neighbourhood ... LLLL Scammer :td:

•••
He just tried to scam me. I was sent a lot of money through PayPal by this scammer before we had ever finalized a deal of any sort. I guess it's a gift :) His PayPal email was: [email protected] -- BE CAREFUL.

•••
He is using stolen paypal accounts he sent me from two paypal accounts first [email protected] this was cancelled , second [email protected] paypal withhold the money he said to paypal unauthorised payment ,

•••
UPDATE: He just reversed his payment to me. Nothing of mine was lost since I had not yet transfered the domains over, however he falsely claimed the payment was sent without his "knowing or consent". My PayPal account is now on limited access so I am working on resolving that (should only take a few minutes) and I am then going to cancel the claim and issue him a refund.

Just beware, people. I've done this a lot before with scammers.. A good rule of thumb is to simply NOT, under ANY circumstances, sell ANY domain name to ANY user here on NamePros if they do not have 10+ positive feedbacks. It may result in a delay selling your domain(s), but it will help ensure you're not being scammed.

•••
I think that the email address on file with PayPal is usually the correct email address belonging to the real account owner.

I emailed the true account holder of the paypal account that the scammer was trying to use on me.

The owner replied today saying this:

stolen account holder said:
Hi Richard,

Thanks very much for letting me know and for refunding the payment, that was the first I had heard of it! At first I must admit I thought your email was dodgy, I tend to get lots of junk to this email address, but I got a pretty big shock when I logged into my paypal a/c and saw the transaction history!

Anyway I have reported it to paypal and it should all be sorted out in a couple of days thankfully. I will have to think twice before using paypal again though!

All the best.

IMO, If you are a trusted seller, someone with a good rep, Itrader, long time on the forum. A new member, buyer shouldn't mind waiting 24hrs - 48hrs for you to transfer the name. That would give you some time to do a little research and email the paypal email address on file. Selling to other long time members with good itrader is another story, I usually send those asap.

•••
I just got a PM from to. Good thing I searched his email in google. Here is the info he provided me: His username is KINGSTON

David Hayling
address: 2489 Ray Court
city:Laurinburg
state: north carolina
zip: 28352
usa
phone: 9103186373
godaddy email: [email protected]

paypal: [email protected]

WATCH OUT EVERYONE!!!

•••
How does he get all these stolen PP accounts? Phishing?

I suggest than you not only notifiy the mods and post to the forum but you also email PayPal and let them know so they can freeze that account immedietly.

Rather than send an email to PayPal I prefer to call.. Here is a list of all of
PayPal's phone numbers.

http://www.paypalsucks.com/PayPalPhoneNumbers.shtml

. Let them know what you think.

Last edited:
•••
i ever read if we visit sites our cookie could be recorded so be careful ti click/visit site, and also email can send our cookie out (look at mozilla firefox, we are able to edit cookie). I ever watch video of hacking email account , friendster etc. you may find them at youtube.com... etc.

•••
Netizen thanks for your support, italiandragon and mark keep your insulting advices to your self your always same donny parked.com closed my account and not give my $300, moderator deleted my topices this is my second get scammed in namepros first was parked.com as you already understand , I am still struggling to take my domain

•••
If you have been scammed with a stolen PP account or believe that you have been scammed please report the email address on account with PayPal immedietly.

Call this PayPal phone number and report the stolen email address so they can freeze it ASAP! : (402)935-2100
Call Center Inbound Call Center
Premier Services Line

I called and reported all of the email address that I could find throught the various scammer report threads on the forums. They said to keep them updated and for everyone to call them if you suspect a stolen account.

•••
I along with alot of people on dp were scammed and he took over 30 domains today..Can we get advice how to get them back..all LLLL.COM

•••
beautyinmd said:
I along with alot of people on dp were scammed and he took over 30 domains today..Can we get advice how to get them back..all LLLL.COM
hi, welcome ... not sure what to tell you, but might be useful to list the domains in question here. (Or not - others might have different opinions on this. Just a suggestion to consider ...)

•••
Back