IT.COM

WARNING: How to Avoid Domain Scams and Scammers

NameSilo
Watch
Prevention:

Google the domain (also try adding words like stolen, scammed, help, missing, etc), asking other domainers about the domain in question, checking the various marketplaces and making sure things add up... The biggest single indicator of a potential scam is the price. A scammer will want to price the domain low enough that it sells before he gets caught. Keep a watchful eye on new members. Recently modified whois is another warning sign. If other indicators are present (ex. extremely low price), proceed with extreme caution.

Some known scams:

1. Appraisal Scam -- If they ask for an appraisal, it's probably a scam.

2. Snail mail scam letters -- Letters through the mail reminding you to renew your domains from companies which aren't your current registrar

3. Compromised web-based email accounts and keyloggers -- Using an email provided to you by your Internet Service Provider is generally safer than web-based email solutions. There have been known security flaws in certain webmail applications in the past (ex. Gmail) which made compromising member accounts considerably easier than guessing a password. Understand the risks involved with using a web-based solution. Download spyware software such as Adaware Lavasoft and scan your computer daily. Keyloggers are A) easy to put on someone's computer and B) potentially catastrophic to a web based business.

4. Unauthorizing funds (particularly bad with Paypal). Paypal makes it very easy to create chargebacks. Don't accept large amounts by Paypal unless you're dealing with people you absolutely trust. Moneybookers/Escow.com are a step above Paypal, however the best option would be to go with a true escrow service such as Sedo Escrow, Moniker Domain Escrow Service or EscrowDNS.

5. Emails saying your domain requires renew/transfer/you to take a certain action. Check the email and make sure that A) it's from your registrar and B) the url mentioned matches what your registrar's would be. Safer to just visit the registrar than click the links in the email.

6. Incorrect Whois emails -- if your whois isn't incorrect, beware. Phone your registrar if you think they made a mistake.

7. Traffic/Click Fraud -- Self explanatory. If it isn't direct navigation it shouldn't be sold as such. Due diligence is required here.

8. Hijacking -- If you use one of your own domain names as the nameserver, be sure to make sure it doesn't expire or someone could fraudulently gain control of your domains.

9. Escrow.com is NOT 100% safe. They do not cover stolen domains -- buyer beware. Don't think processing a "bargain" through Escrow.com won't potentially end in you being out money. In the event a domain is stolen from someone's account, the domain WILL be returned to the original owner and you'll be out whatever you paid for the domain.

10. One thing I should add: Most free webmail providers will delete accounts after certain periods of inactivity. A clever scammer could notice that your Hotmail/Yahoo/other webmail account had expired, register that same email address (which is now available) and then proceed to "Request Password" at various registrars using what was previously your email address. If you plan on using your webmail infrequently, it's recommend you verify what amount of inactivity is tolerable and won't result in email account deletion.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
wibrodomains said:
Trust me he stoled 3 letter.coms I already handed over few 3 letter.coms

I hope you mean 3 character .com's

•••
•••
Alex said:
I hope you mean 3 character .com's

My domains are back in My Godaddy account again :)

Thanks again wibrodomains and thank you Alex for your help :tu:

•••
Glad to see this is actually starting to be resolved.

Excellent work wibro.

•••
EG.domains said:
My domains are back in My Godaddy account again :)

Thanks again wibrodomains and thank you Alex for your help :tu:

Thanks EG for the initial warning and the link to this page...very helpful!

Last edited:
•••
I just got scammed by him a few days ago for an $x,xxx name. :(

•••
It'd be nice if the first post of this thread had a list of EVERY name this guy stole - with it's current status, returned/MIA.

•••
I just got my doimain back. Thanks wibrodomains and everybody else who worked on getting domain back. I never thougtht I would see it again.

•••
Wibro, you should become a DN scammer PI.. lol People can pay you a reward fee for retrieving their stolen domain names.. :)

•••
I Am Working And Hoping I Can Get Dans Back--i Hope He Will Be Nice And Return It To The Rightful Owner

•••
wibrodomains said:
I Am Working And Hoping I Can Get Dans Back--i Hope He Will Be Nice And Return It To The Rightful Owner

He is watching this thread right now. and i'm sure he will hand over the domain :)

Wise move you did Kev/Marian/or whatever your name .. by returning the domains :tu:

Bad (online) reputation to your real name is the worst thing could happen.

Just Google "Charlie Wenzel"

•••
EG.domains said:
He is watching this thread right now. and i'm sure he will hand over the domain :)

OMG, I thought that I am the only insane guy who is awake at 6:14 AM :'(

There is something that worries me. He surely has other domains that he does not want to return (like Dan's domain).

Maybe somebody contacts Jay from DomainTools for some help. I am sure that he would give us a help. Please can anybody do this, since I go to sleep now. It would be an occasion for him to show that the registrant search can be used for good purposes too, and I think he will help.

Edit: Charlie Wenzel is a really great story though. Anybody who has about 3 free hours should google him and read a very long thread on pirate 4x4 :)

•••
I have a subscription that allows me to see whois history if anyone isn't sure about where a domain should go. Just pm me if needed.

•••
Please post here with the name(s) you lost to this guy and the status (returned, etc.). Also let us know if you have not received your name(s) back as well and which ones.

Thank you wibro and everyone else for your assistance! :)

•••
Dan said:
I just got scammed by him a few days ago for an $x,xxx name. :(
Got your domain or not yet ?

•••
Happy to say all domains pushed--I am waiting to get dans domain for him--

•••
Got my names 03L and 03N back :)
Thanks Everyone...

•••
I am happy to say i got Dans very good domain back.The guy transfered it today to me---Dan you owe me 10 million namepro bucks!!!

•••
wibrodomains said:
I am happy to say i got Dans very good domain back.The guy transfered it today to me---Dan you owe me 10 million namepro bucks!!!
I'm sending over some NP$ now. I can't believe I got it back. Thanks, wibrodomains.

•••
My suggestion on this matter now:
If you sell a domain on this forum and accept paypal "Make sure that person has very good feedback"

Never take Paypal with Ebay Auctions

If you do take paypal with Ebay Auctions i would wait 48 hours untill transferring that domain"Allows enough time for paypal to email you saying they are looking into a fraud complaint"
When i sold mine with ebay "Paypal emailed me 12 hours later and ebay emailed me 1 hour after the auction saying it was fraud.

Its up to you how you want to sell domains but be careful=I was lucky to get them back.

Plus pull up the contact info for the buyer on ebay and give them a call ask them if they bought a domain

Last edited:
•••
wibrodomains said:
[...]
If you do take paypal with Ebay Auctions i would wait 48 hours untill transferring that domain"Allows enough time for paypal to email you saying they are looking into a fraud complaint"
When i sold mine with ebay "Paypal emailed me 12 hours later and ebay emailed me 1 hour after the auction saying it was fraud.

Its up to you how you want to sell domains but be careful=I was lucky to get them back.

Plus pull up the contact info for the buyer on ebay and give them a call ask them if they bought a domain
Thanks for this great advice!

•••
I just had a scammer try to scam me on DP here: http://forums.DigitalPoint/showthread.php?t=685256

He uses this info:

First Name: Scott Kenny
Last Name: Kenny
Address: 15 castlemore
City: markham
State: Ontario
Zip Code: M1b1n2
Email: [email protected]

phone: 9059991010

And is also known to use thise addresses:
[email protected] – This is the Buyer’s PayPal payment email
[email protected] - With this email he invited me to join Live Messenger for communication
[email protected] – This email is his GoDaddy email account
[email protected]

Beware of this buyer!!!!!

Last edited:
•••
thanks for sharing GreenGambler

•••
Well well... since this is also SCAM related, please check this thread and stay alert:

http://forums.DigitalPoint/showthread.php?t=689996

;)

•••
Shenron said:
Well well... since this is also SCAM related, please check this thread and stay alert:

http://forums.DigitalPoint/showthread.php?t=689996

;)

That seems surprising; with 54 positive iTraders and an 8 month history I would generally assume the seller was real.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back