NameSilo

question .top VS .xyz - Which of those 2 TLDs will stay on top before this year (2016) ends?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

DOMAIN ILLUMINATI

THTMVATMEDNOATTop Member
Impact
Hey nP members,

What do you think which TLD will stay on top (in amount of registrations) before this year (2016) ends:

.top or .xyz - what do you think, which one will it be?

The current status: https://namestat.org/

Share your personal assessment here.
Thank you and all the best with your domains.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I feel good about .xyz -

•••
•••
Most of the .top domains majorly are regged in china.. chinese chips

•••
.xyz is a feeble attempt at a generic TLD, to me it looks ugly with it's sharp letters (x y z) . This might not be the case in some eastern cultures where it's aesthetics seem to have more appeal. Overall I consider the .xyz TLD a dangerous branding trap even for Google.

.top can only take credit for being a generic TLD because the word TOP is nearly always used before a keyword and thus losses it's grammatical strength coming right of the dot. However it's much more meaningful to me than .xyz and can be used in a clever way to differentiate between and the good and the bad, the top and the bottom, the best form the worst.

•••
top of course is more attractive than xyz, and in my opinion it will stay ahead of xyz, though I have more XYZs domains than TOPs.

•••

Maybe a similar reason as you do for .TOP?!

.XYZ are so far doing better with western keywords on the aftermarket. And that is a fact. Maybe not that strange, as it's run by Americans.

Personally, I think .PRO is somewhat similar as .TOP, even if I personally prefer .PRO as a name. Both have a positive meanings (just as, but better than .ONE and .WIN in my opinion) and both are short.

Last edited:
•••
Maybe a similar reason as you do for .TOP?!

.XYZ are so far doing better with western keywords on the aftermarket. And that is a fact. Maybe not that strange, as it's run by Americans.

Just the current status, my question belongs to 2016 > 2017.
I am sure that some of the western / american registries are frustrated about the fact that they did not have the clever idea itself to create a TLD called .top

•••
I am sure that some of the western / american registries are frustrated about the fact that they did not have the clever idea itself to create a TLD called .top

They created 90-95% of all other gTLDs, so, I don't know :P

But as I've said before. I like .TOP as a generic extension.

•••
They created 90-95% of all other gTLDs, so, I don't know :P

This doesn't help because ironically just .top is not in their hands ;)
They are running so many TLDs - but just .top not! Just .top!

I think THIS fact have and will have huge symbol force.

Last edited:
•••

I was all over this extension when they launched an everything was reserved or over priced. Honestly not sure why it's gaining speed, could be IDNs, not sure.

The fact is it's not generic within the U.S. like xyz and limited.

Maybe it's being manipulated like their currency, not sure. ;)

@kingof.top Serious question. How many single word do you own, or LLL, NNN etc..?

•••
I was all over this extension when they launched an everything was reserved or over priced. Honestly not sure why it's gaining speed, could be IDNs, not sure.

The fact is it's not generic within the U.S. like xyz and limited.

Maybe it's being manipulated like their currency, not sure. ;)

@kingof.top Serious question. How many single word do you own, or LLL, NNN etc..?

Of course it's generic - more than .xyz and more than any other TLD in my eyes.
It's simply the ultimate generic TLD.
It's gaining speed because... ...it's .top - that's all what we have to realize.
It's working like a magnet because human nature loves to reach the top.

@mad409 Serious answer. Many single words. You are welcome to visit my portfolio (signature) to learn more.

•••
Of course it's generic - more than .xyz and more than any other TLD in my eyes.
It's simply the ultimate generic TLD.
It's gaining speed because... ...it's .top - that's all what we have to realize.
It's like a magnet because human nature loves to reach the top.

@mad409 Serious answer. Many single words. You are welcome to visit my portfolio (signature) to learn more.

Looked at it, rest my case. :rolleyes:

•••
•••
Oh, about 4000 names. How many of these .TOP will you renew?
I don't know it yet but I think as much as possible.
I will see.

People, what do you think?

Which TLD will stay on top (in numbers of registrations) before this year (2016) ends?

.xyz or .top

Last edited:
•••
bike.top just sold recently for 1,490 USD

In my opinion it got sold for too cheap.

As example, 'fahrrad', the german word for bike, got sold for 6 figures as a .com, and also known word formations with 'fahrrad' usually gets sold for 4-5 figures - as CNOBIs or ccTLDs.

'Fahrrad'-domains only can be practicable in german speaking areas (Germany, Austria, Liechtenstein, Switzerland and Luxembourg).

Bike-domains can be used for international purposes.

I like .top, but is .top really that top?

Last edited:
•••
Or do you guys think it was just a silly seller and sales like this are exceptions and only happens because .top is still in his 'blossom phase'?

•••
bike.top has been sold by Registry.

•••
+ tons of other singular .TOP-keywords are available from Registry (so-called "Premiums").

•••
It would be interesting to know in which regions around the world .XYZ and .TOP are popular.

•••
I don't know...
At least in Ukraine I didn't see any websites .xyz/.top

•••
.COM is global in that way whether .XYZ and .TOP too are also global or particularly popular only in some regions.

•••
bike.top has been sold by Registry.

Do they have a special reason why they sell their 'premiums' for that cheap?

Howsoever, who cares, the better for all the visionary people, chinese investors or just '.top-believers'. ;)

•••
We all know that .top / .xyz are primarely existing 'in a domainers world' in the current phase.
Of course there are some more or less significant websites but it's all the beginning.
Thats why the question of this thread belongs to the amount of registrations and not to the amount of websites.

•••
.TOP is operated by Chineses...
I don't think that they completely understand the English and/or German value of domains...

Last edited:
•••
Amount of regs doesn't matter at all...
.tk has ~24M registrations and what???

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back