Domain Empire

.uk The .CO.UK Discussion and Showcase

Spaceship
Watch
Impact
This being the cctld section of namepros I am sure the answers I get here will be somewhat bias:) But here is my questions:

I found several niche generic domains with rather good overture. I was debating on getting the .net or the .co.uk version.

Revenue is important in this decision with it being a solid overture number with .com I know this would do great, but obviously not many people would choose to type mygoodgenericname.net, BUT my do people type megoodgenericname.co.uk????

Thoughts? Sorry, I am just wading into the international ext world but was wondering how well generics do for type-ins.

Thanks for any help!!!!!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Just received this prompt reply from Moniker support.

.UK domains (and most other country code domains) must be renewed two months before expiration or you lose them. The only way around it is to set them to auto-renew.

On the other hand I've got this from Nominet FAQ FAQ

If a renewal request is not received from your registrar, we will send you a renewal reminder by email. You will have 30 days to arrange for your registrar to renew the domain name. If we do not receive a renewal request for your domain name within 30 days of the expiry date, the domain name will be suspended. It will then be cancelled 60 days after suspension if we have still not recieved a renewal instruction for your domain name from your registrar.

Which is from a completely different angle it seems to me, saying that it will be suspended 30 days before expiry and cancelled 30 days after expiry.

And of course (link above from miss-chiff) Moniker says they will delete .co.uk domains 6 days before expiration.

Can anyone square the circle here? Is there a Moniker rep that can make sense of it?

Editted: Beginning to realise this is a Moniker thing, isn't it? It's not ordained by Nominet?

Eugh.

Thinking aloud, maybe it might be a good idea to transfer my co.uk domains to a registrar that deletes my domains 30 days AFTER expiry rather than 60 days BEFORE expiry. Not that I can make head nor tail of it, because Moniker says it deletes them 6 days before expiry in the link above from Miss-chiff, and 60 days before expiry in the email I recieved from support.

I need help :)

P.S As an aside - don't want to start a new thread for this - has anyone else noticed that the Moniker backend throws up occasional errors? Just now the security level showed as unlocked for two domains, but refreshing the page then showed that they were locked.

Last edited:
•••
.UK Discussion, Sales and Showcase

Couldn't find a thread dedicated to .co.uk (and related .me.uk & .org.uk) so here it is.

Feel free to discuss the .UK ccTLD, report any sales and showcase your .UK domains here.

Thanks.

•••
How to contact the registrant of a UK domain?

I not found email in public whois of dot UK domain.
Where can query more detail?

•••
can you advice a good (and cheap if possible) registar for .uk names? Thanks.
I would say DAILY.co.uk.
Cheap and good!:imho:

•••
If the nature of my business is local (not global), i.e. for the UK people only, then I will prefer .co.uk name to any other extension.

•••
You could consider 2 or more websites...

research apparently shows that UK buyers will tend to choose a .uk site as being more trustworthy - so logic would suggest a .uk site would work against you for non UK customers.

if the business is worth enough, mid £xxxx is cheap! - see domainprices.co.uk for examples.

The business is global AND local.

---------- Post added at 04:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:52 PM ----------

123-reg.co.uk
heartinternet.co.uk

- but remember cheapest is not always the best option! :)

Where is the cheapest registration .CO.UK ?

•••
There is not restrictions to register .co.uk

•••
Theo is correct here. There are no restrictions when it comes to .CO.UK. For the other third level there are restrictions though (.net.uk,ltd.uk etc).

•••
4000.co.uk
Archeologist.co.uk
Bashing.co.uk
Eloping.co.uk
Frivolity.co.uk
Paleontologist.co.uk
Waving.co.uk
Synchronized.co.uk
Gat.co.uk
Lustfully.co.uk
Lusciously.co.uk
Errrr more I'm sure just can't remember lol.

•••
•••
SafetyStore .co.uk sold for $2166 at Sedo this month.

•••
http://www.nominet.uk/mapping-the-online-world/

Map-Of-The-Online-World-Scaled-1280x691-1280x691.jpg

•••
•••
TV-Links.co.uk sold for $18420 at Sedo.
I think its very good sale.

•••
just hand regged CarMaker.co.uk It is one word generic

•••
Just hand regged Quickrate.co.uk

•••
You're making valid points but I'm an optimist :)

•••
•••
Regardless of Brexit, England...and more importantly London will remain the economic capital of Europe. What you must realize is that the only way .co.uk losses value is if there is a lasting change in the confidence towards the pound sterling. Although there was a very brief reaction in the markets due to Brexit, I strongly believe that capital inflows into the UK will remain consistent in the long run. Also it's quite sensationalist to believe that Brexit will kill the .co.uk cctld. Even if the UK loses Scotland for example...its still a kingdom. In addition to this there are numerous political and economical complexities that would make it difficult for most countries within the Kingdom to become completely autonomous. Also I think it is illogical to assume that the UK would make detrimental policy changes to their own economy, like any competitive developed country increased yearly foreign investment is a key aspect of maintaining geopolitical dominance and the tax policies that will follow Brexit should reflect that. These changes will represent the kingdoms plan for the future, and indirectly for youth the of the nation. Will the EU make it harder to do business in the UK? No I don't think so because that would be the like asking the milkman to stop delivering milk to your doorstep every morning. There definitely will be some kind of dialogue and debate towards increased taxation and duties but it doesn't make sense to assume that those taxes will be enough to force multinational European companies to begin diminishing their business relations with the UK, not only is the market far too developed for significant change to happen in the short run or even in the medium term (5-8 years)...its just doesn't seem to be in the best interest of current AND future business owners within Europe. The EU will have to adapt because straining the UK, economically speaking...is like straining the heart of Europe.

PS...don't take this too seriously...I am a ranting Canadian economics student.

The UK is not the heart of Europe and the EU's economy is in no way depended on the UK for it's survival. UK's trade figures pales in comparison to the combined union of other member states.

Products and services provided by the UK to other EU member states has enjoy a free trade environment whilst being a member of the EU.

With the advent of Brexit the UK will no longer enjoy this level playing field, there is no doubt that almost all products and services provided by the UK to other member states will have greater taxes and/or duties imposed on them.

What this means is the UK will become less competitive within the EU. EU consumers and businesses will have to pay more for products and services from the UK, this alone will make .co.uk a less attractive destination for EU member states to visit and do business. Ask you tutors what they think, I'm sure they will agree.

May also remind you that the UK's decision to leave the EU was not decided by the economic masterminds that I have no doubt exist in London but a collective decision by a much less informed general public who quite frankly have very little working knowledge of the complicated structure and workings of the EU.

PS: Coming from the Republic of Ireland we have a vested interest in the UK's economy and remain heavily reliant on them as a trading partner.

Last edited:
•••
•••
Could be a mixture of both. I also find it likely that if there were any NNN sales, they were private.
Yeah that's true I guess. Numbers don't have as much importance for the British either as for other markets. LLL are more useful than NNN I would think.

•••
Yeah that's true I guess. Numbers don't have as much importance for the British either as for other markets. LLL are more useful than NNN I would think.
Yea I agree with you unless its something like 666,777 or 888 etc

•••
•••
•••
Could be a mixture of both. I also find it likely that if there were any NNN sales, they were private.

360.co.uk was sold in 2009 but that's a very special one. :)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back