Dynadot

The battle for ouch.com (DNF)

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
If you're not yet following this open thread at DNF, take a few minutes to do so. It's a fascinating scenario, if not a mini movie of the week:

--> SORRY ... Link removed by moderator <--

Scott

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
yeah, i was reading that earlier on today, quite daft though, if the guy selling the domain (at DNF) had just taken the first offer he got and accepted payments via Paypal or Escrow rather than Western Union, he would have been away and wouldn't have had a problem (that is, of course if he lived in Russia as he said, cause if he was from Kentucky he would have got caught up with).

i suppose we should wait till he (domainp) tells his side of the story (assuming he does) before assuming he's guilty, but it does look like it.

•••
Very interesting article! Thanks for the link.

•••
When someone joins a forum and offers an incredible, out-of-this-world deal in his/her first post, and wants to run with the first offer received, some caution flags should go up.

Unfortunately, these things do happen, so it does not hurt to be careful, and watch out for these kinds of things.

If it's too good to be true...

•••
/LINK Removed/Thread moved to the correct forum./

•••
Originally posted by DrWho
/LINK Removed/

Is NamePros so proprietary that a link to a worthy collegial thread at another forum is somehow inappropriate or threatening? If so, it's bad policy.

Scott

•••
Originally posted by DomainMyName
Is NamePros so proprietary that a link to a worthy collegial thread at another forum is somehow inappropriate or threatening? If so, it's bad policy.

Scott

I do not beleive this is the case at all. Most places do not allow direct links to competiting forums.

I am sure if you posted a link to NamePros at DNF you would find the post deleted and yourself BANNED

•••
Originally posted by CenterPoint
I am sure if you posted a link to NamePros at DNF you would find the post deleted and yourself BANNED

Make book on it..... ;)

•••
well seems namepros is as bad as DNF ;)
i see namepros is also on google adwords for keywords domainstate and DNF as well :O

•••
DNF sux anywayz, you need to pay :(

•••
thats the whole point ;)
thats what keeps the forum full of quality domainers and not millions of 14 yr olds wanting free domains

•••
Thank god.
I'm 16 soon, and I do think this board has seen a "change" in quality since we got 1500 members. But I think alot of pros hang around here ;)

•••
Originally posted by DotLeader
thats the whole point ;)
thats what keeps the forum full of quality domainers and not millions of 14 yr olds wanting free domains
That is debatable.

•••
CenterPoint has a Point.
When I got here I didn't want any free domains, I wanted advice on how to develop the ones I had. And they are not "free" you need to do something in return.

•••
One question,

how come links to webhostingtalk and domainstate are still hanging around this forum?

seems just becuase the mods here were banned from DNF except rj they have a personal vendetta with them and would rather delete whats left of the quality disscustion here be removed

•••
Actually I posted some WHT links and they got edited.

•••
Originally posted by DotLeader
One question,

how come links to webhostingtalk and domainstate are still hanging around this forum?

seems just becuase the mods here were banned from DNF except rj they have a personal vendetta with them and would rather delete whats left of the quality disscustion here be removed

Well, I personally have not seen links to domainstate, WHT is a totally different creature. The main focus is not Domains, and really is not any different that SitePoint, WMW or about 10 others

As to a personal vendetta I don't see any. I am sure if you were in their position you would be more than a little pissed and for good reason.

NamePros gain is DNforums loss

As to quality discussion, you seem to forget that NamePros has a lot of rookies, (were you not one once?). At least here they can get some unbiased help to learn the business.

Yes, there are some kids here looking for free domains. If they are interested in the business they will stay, if not they will leave when they quickly find out there is more to this place than snagging a free name. Maybe some of these kids will actually take an interest and become serious domainers.

•••
Originally posted by darksk8er
Actually I posted some WHT links and they got edited.

I've also done the same for my friends at DS ... but ONLY the direct link(s), which have been few and far between. If there are any that were overlooked, please PM me the Namepros thread, and I'll edit those, as well. We try our best to stay on top of things, but with this site's recent growth and increasing activity it's been tough at times. No worries.
DotLeader ... for someone that spends as much time here as you do, I find it interesting that you constantly get in your 'digs' against the site for your "teeny bopper" issues. It would appear you're the only one that really has an issue with this ... teens are people too, you know. Embrace and nurture them, they may make you proud one day. I do truly believe we're handling the growth responsibly and effectively ... but we will work even harder on this aspect if you're not satisfied. Keep the faith, DotLeader. ;)
The thread "Title" here says, "The battle for ouch.com (DNF)" ... and it WILL stay that way. By removing a direct "link" to a competing Forum's Sales thread is by no means unreasonable. It's just standard protocol within the industry and a rule of the site. Do you see a direct "link" to Pepsi at the Coca Cola site?
If you have any concern that we're simply crazed and threatened and don't believe in freedom of speech, and good times for all ... do this as a personal favor for me:
Go to DNF and open a thread entitled, "The battle for XXXX.com at Namepros"). Provide a few direct "links" there to some of the Sales threads here. While you do, I'll grab a Dr. Pepper and get on back to my (daily and unending) campaign of sending E-mail's directly to some of the potential End user's :$: for some of my domains, the unique and responsive Namepros Appraisals, and trying my best along with the fantastic membership here to help out some of the newer members to the Namepros site (who may or may not be teenagers). Live, love, and work hard friends. :)
See you soon.
-Jeff B-)

•••
Originally posted by CoolHost.com
removing a direct "link" to a competing Forum's Sales thread is by no means unreasonable. It's just standard protocol within the industry

Actually typing "Namepros" at DNF brings "********" so it's a case of tit-for-tat, I don't think Domainstate has any policy on it.
Personally I think it's a shame that we can't just all get along like one and refer to one another's sites, but there we are - that's life.

•••
It is a case of a jealous moderator removing an important read because he was banned. Cut and dry, simple as that.

•••
Originally posted by mr webname
Actually typing "Namepros" at DNF brings "********" so it's a case of tit-for-tat, I don't think Domainstate has any policy on it.
Personally I think it's a shame that we can't just all get along like one and refer to one another's sites, but there we are - that's life.

I wasn't aware of that ("********"). :o
Yep, it's life ... but thanks for being cool, MrWebname.
Have a great domain day. :)

•••
Originally posted by mr webname
Personally I think it's a shame that we can't just all get along like one....

That statement does not seem to be consistent with posts you have made on other boards webname.

For example, this is your post from DNF

This site is not dependant upon one or two individuals with their own agenda. Those "banned" have made their home elsewhere and seem happy in their different environment - an environment which is quite different from the "style" of DNF. ....

Some forums are more domain/business oriented and others are more "chatty" or "teeny"...

I believe that if you set out to damage the forum then you should be removed.

and

we don't need them back to improve the forum and they are quite happy in their new home I'm sure (interesting to see most of them are Mods where they are and now behave quite differently, they've even carried out their first banning - must be a moral there somewhere :) )

It's obvious you were talking primarily of this forum. It would seem difficult to reconcile your "we are the world - cant we all just get along" statement above with your insistence that banned members not be accepted back to DNF.

Larry

p.s. Banning members is just silly unless they have done and will continue to do irreparable damage to the forum.

And quote frankly..it;s waste of time as you can see. I was reading dnf posts within a few minutes of being banned and could pay for membership anytime I want...but as I stated in another forum I saw no valid reason why I was banned and so won't be rejoining there....but I read everything and do business with people there by email ;)

And jh3 - If it is your assertion that a similar post at dnf would not be censored than you are delusional. As webname pointed out...try just typing in the name of this forum there.

•••
Larry, when Adam took over he allowed domainstate and namepros to be typed out in the forum. Something has happened since then for him to ban it. Someone probably PMing lots of people trying to get them to jump ship. It happened.

•••
I know it did jh3 and I dont agree with that type of behavior. But none the less it is a current fact.

•••
alright, ill run the "can't we all just get along" line then as i havent been a hypocrite about this and couldn't be cause i havent posted anywhere else within this triangle of forums.

Anyway, its understandable for NP to censor anything to do with DNF if they want, especially if they were just returning the favour as thats what DNF was doing first. I think NP would get a lot more respect if they were the better man (so to speak) and not be as petty as DNF about the whole situation. I already have a lot more respect for NP as it is for a number of reasons but this whole situation is understandably lowering it even tho NP is still beter off than DNF.

anyway, that rant might have been complete and utter bull and feel free to ignore it but thats what i think and even if i have only been at this place for a couple of days (lurking through NP, DNF and DS for a month or so), my opinion should be valid at least only slightly..

</rant>

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back