IT.COM

question So.. What is EstiBot good for?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

33S

Established Member
Impact
Hi. I often stumble upon the belief that a robot appraisal is pretty much worthless. Which is understandable, since a bot can't value aesthetic aspect of a name, brandability, how it's pronounced, whether it's in the right TLD (like MegaUltraTVsale.org or HelpStarvingChildren.tv) etc.

But what if I'm sure my domain is:

- relatively short
- easily memorable and pronounceable
- can be used as a company (shop) name
- is in the right TLD
- contains words that represent goods people are looking for, and the words are in a correct and logical order, not like HousesUpscaleBuy.com for example

Can I rely on EstiBot to have at least +/- 100% value accurcy?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Simple answer - NO (and that is 100%). :xf.rolleyes:

•••
No, you cannot. Absolutely nothing wrong with taking Estibot appraisal into consideration when you're trying to guesstimate (!) the value of a domain but as you said there are a lot of tricky moving parts involved.

If you have good keywords, actually any real words, in your domain, you can always check e.g. dnpric.es for past sales including those keywords and try to determine the value of your domain that way. Better yet, you can refer to those past sales if the possible buyer is not comfortable with your price range.

•••
estibot
huh
yeah
what is it good for
huh
absolutely nothing
say it again

•••
Well the one thing estibot is good with is not just giving a high appraisal for any domain - if it appraises a domain in the 5 or 6 figure range then that domain definitely has some value.

But if the domain is appraised in the 3 figure range it usually isn't worth much.

•••
Hi. I often stumble upon the belief that a robot appraisal is pretty much worthless. Which is understandable, since a bot can't value aesthetic aspect of a name, brandability, how it's pronounced, whether it's in the right TLD (like MegaUltraTVsale.org or HelpStarvingChildren.tv) etc.

if you re-read and believe what you said, then the answer should still the same.

•••
Estibot cannot estimate how much a buyer will pay for any domain. The selling price will always be different to their valuation. How far they are out depends on who the buyer is, how much they are willing to spend, and how much you are willing to accept. These are factors beyond their algorithms. They can try to take these factors into account by looking at past sales, but they will never refine their algorithms sufficiently to be accurate, because every sale is different and unique.

•••
People still use estibot and think that hey, it gave me such a 5 or 6 or 10 figure valuation, my domain is going to make me rich?
Hahahahahhaha....

•••
•••
What is the horoscope good for ?

•••
No, you cannot. Absolutely nothing wrong with taking Estibot appraisal into consideration when you're trying to guesstimate (!) the value of a domain but as you said there are a lot of tricky moving parts involved.
I like the way you put that (and agree with it also).

I was going to defend Estibot -- marginally -- but then I remembered at least a few times I gave it a try, and due to those "tricky parts" the results were simply absurd.

•••
You can always use Estibot to pick up gold diggers from the bar, though. Just tell 'em what your portfolio is worth per Estibot.

•••
Or it works for selling a crap domain to some naive buyer.
Hey, this premium domain was valued at $xx,xxxx by estibot!
You can have it right now for the bottom price of $xxx!

•••
estibot
huh
yeah
what is it good for
huh
absolutely nothing
say it again
estibot has caused unrest within the younger generation huh yeah

•••
Early this year I compared the amounts I was paid for 4 domains to the estibot estimates for the same domains. These were the results:

Domain 1 - Sold for $7k, Estibot appraisal = $260
Domain 2 - Sold for $8,200, Estibot appraisal = $0
Domain 3 - Sold for $5500, Estibot appraisal = $21,000
Domain 4 - Sold for $5k, Estibot appraisal = $170

Does that answer your question? :)

•••
Not a fan and am amazed at quite a few older domainers that suggest it. As soon as ya say Estibot to me I think Noob. I get the whole "yeah but it's good for metrics" News flash end users don't care about metrics or traffic they buy cause they like the domain name. Estibot's best feature is making new domainers waste money which also adds to registrars bottom line.

Selling a car? Flip open KBB, model, miles, options= there's your price
Selling a unique domain name where only one exists= no way to automate that as you have quality of domain, negotiation skills of seller combined with aligning the correct buyer for maximum ROI

Any veteran domainer/blogger that suggests Estibot, yes I'm publicly calling you a rookie ;)

Let common sense be your guide....

A) Does the domain apply to a profitable business sector
B) Would you want the domain if you were in this business
C) Are there multiple end user buyers for the domain

etc...

Wanna sell to end users start buying domains that make business sense

When Estibot starts buying domains from domainers based on their automated appraisals then I'll sign up.

Last edited:
•••
If the Estibot value is high, it's is great for letting end users know how much they will have to pay at minimum for your domain.

Last edited:
•••
If you watch the domain sherpas, quite often these experts vary greatly in the pricing of a name and they offer the 'Human Factor" as well

•••
•••
If the Estibot value is high, it's is great for letting end users know how much they will have to pay at minimum for your domain.

make sure that the recent sales listing on that page dont show names that are way way better than the one for sale that sold for lot less

•••

But what if I'm sure my domain is:

- relatively short
- easily memorable and pronounceable
- can be used as a company (shop) name
- is in the right TLD
- contains words that represent goods people are looking for, and the words are in a correct and logical order, not like HousesUpscaleBuy.com for example

I don't bother with it and haven't used it since I started buying and selling domain names. It doesn't give you a price that's anywhere near accurate to what an end-user or domainer would value it as.

•••
MessMeBot will make you happy for 5 minutes.

•••
Typical beginner mistake to rely on Estibot, same story with those initial Sedo valuations whenever you list your domain with them.. they almost always show the same $349, $549, $399 values..

•••
Typical beginner mistake to rely on Estibot, same story with those initial Sedo valuations whenever you list your domain with them.. they almost always show the same $349, $549, $399 values..
When I started out I remember buying a deleted domain because I'd ran it through Estibot and got a $1.2k valuation, I was literally shaking in my chair. HA it was completely worthless but I made a real website out of it in the end.

•••

And if you change the currency the Sedo estibodge changes currency but not the numbers, so $299 becomes £299 which is at least 50% more.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back