NameSilo

question So.. What is EstiBot good for?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

33S

Established Member
Impact
Hi. I often stumble upon the belief that a robot appraisal is pretty much worthless. Which is understandable, since a bot can't value aesthetic aspect of a name, brandability, how it's pronounced, whether it's in the right TLD (like MegaUltraTVsale.org or HelpStarvingChildren.tv) etc.

But what if I'm sure my domain is:

- relatively short
- easily memorable and pronounceable
- can be used as a company (shop) name
- is in the right TLD
- contains words that represent goods people are looking for, and the words are in a correct and logical order, not like HousesUpscaleBuy.com for example

Can I rely on EstiBot to have at least +/- 100% value accurcy?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
this is rather a display issue, but nonetheless adds to the irrelevancy of such automatic valuations..

•••
Have you heard people talking about something over and over only for them to say it doesnt matter? exactly.

Whatever is talked about matters. Estibot might not be correct or useful, but IMO it has a PLACE in our industry. Different people find different things useful on estibot. And if estibot's opinions was so useless, then why do they get a few million searches per day?(per their website).

For me i think estibot's "similar sales" feature is very useful to me. It helps me know what range similar keywords have sold for.

I just dont like it whn people oversimplify Estibot's value or usefulness. find what you need and move on.

•••
I beg to differ a little with all those who are against Estibot. To me, it's a very useful tool - if we simply omit the valuations part. I get good insight about PR, Alexa, searches, SERP, CPC, keywords whois, extensions registered and a lot of data all at one place and that in my books, is worth to justify it.

•••
I beg to differ a little with all those who are against Estibot. To me, it's a very useful tool - if we simply omit the valuations part. I get good insight about PR, Alexa, searches, SERP, CPC, keywords whois, extensions registered and a lot of data all at one place and that in my books, is worth to justify it.
That is probably the most useful information it provides in one easily accessible place (other than going to check PR and Alexa manually). Otherwise, the valuation is pretty much like owning this squirter:
51KZAh0N%2BsL.jpg

Another great tool that provides additional information on top of Estibot (as you mentioned) is Majestic.

•••

it's not about being against something, it's about what it sets itself up to be, in the minds of the unknowing.

you ( not you personally) have to understand that many domainers were doing this, long before the bot, before google keyword tool... so in the scheme of things, it's irrelevant to how we pick domains or how to price them.

additionally, the results from pr, alexa, serps, cpc, extensions registered, etc, really have no bearing on "gut feeling", so, therefore such data becomes meaningless and time consuming to gather.

as there is such a thing as having "too much information" to make a decision.

when you learn to spot good names from the crowd, then you'll see what I mean. :)

imo....

•••
The resale value of a domain boils down to one thing: is there an end user that wants your domains, and is willing to pay for it ? Everything else is speculation, or worse: wishful thinking.

•••
Estibot is good for making Estibot Inc money. That's about it.

•••
The resale value of a domain boils down to one thing: is there an end user that wants your domains, and is willing to pay for it ? Everything else is speculation, or worse: wishful thinking.
While I 100% agree with you, domainers ought to educate themselves on what Alexa, PR, age, backlinks, etc. are as it can be a selling point. Though a lot of those metrics don't hold weight until it comes time to prove the quality of your content, it could be the difference between having $1000 on the table or $100 on the table being able to explain what Alexa is and what the numbers mean

For example: It's rated 3,000,000 globally which means it receives 3.45 visitors per day and ranked 567,000 in the UK (if you think that is relevant to the end user). The traffic is confirmed that most users visit this website by a direct referral (break that down Barney style as well if you have to) and is on the same page as what Alexa is reporting with an average of 3.27 U/V a day over the period of ownership in which I had it for 5 months.

I definitely wouldn't go that far explaining stuff to tire kickers as you're just wasting your time. One knows when someone is just kicking and one knows when someone wants that new car scent, no matter the price.

Not having knowledge in these numbers could be a contributing factor of what an end user will pay for your domain as you can keep them going higher and higher, take the elevator all the way up and close the door on them when you feel you've reached the right floor (metaphorically speaking).

•••
Domain 3 - Sold for $5500, Estibot appraisal = $21,000

U sould 2 lo, no? clear it is worth much money more than you got payed. Why?

•••
alexa numbers can be faked, as well as PR, and every backlink has to be checked to see where it's placed on site listed.

age, is only a factor to those who buy domains with age.

and it doesn't automatically add intrinsic value, to every domain with some.

imo...

•••
U sould 2 lo, no? clear it is worth much money more than you got payed. Why?

You're probably right. I have multiple regrets about that particular domain. It was a domain that I had purchased for $300 sometime during my first year of domaining. About 2 months after buying it, I received an unsolicited offer of $5k which I promptly declined. An hour later the same buyer came back with a $10k offer which I declined again. This time I asked for $45k. It took about a month before I got another response, and this time the buyer was asking if we could work out a deal for a 6 month payoff at $20k total. I said I would do it for $25k through escrow.com. We went back and forth, and finally settled on $24k. Where I screwed up was with the terms. After we settled on price I insisted on getting $10k as the first payment. I think I must have turned off the buyer with my unreasonableness, because that was the end of the discussions. I followed up a couple of times but got no response. Two years went by without me getting a single other offer for that domain at which point I became disheartened and sold it to a reseller for $5,500. It was an expensive lesson about what not to do during a negotiation.

•••
Early this year I compared the amounts I was paid for 4 domains to the estibot estimates for the same domains. These were the results:

Domain 1 - Sold for $7k, Estibot appraisal = $260
Domain 2 - Sold for $8,200, Estibot appraisal = $0
Domain 3 - Sold for $5500, Estibot appraisal = $21,000
Domain 4 - Sold for $5k, Estibot appraisal = $170

Does that answer your question? :)

great!

•••
there are few domains which estibot estimated my domains in to XX digits but i have sold it for 3 and 4 digits.
and for new gTLDs, estibot is valuation is poor, and it doesnt give the value more than $5.
the funny part is, domain original value to buy from the register is more than $5.
so dont 100% rely on the estibot, it gives just an idea thats it. what your gut feel says go ahead with that.
i am sure you better know the worth of your domain than estibot
good luck
cheers

•••
I use estibot sometimes, but i dont look at it to figure out the dollar value of the domain. It is very useful tool to see some numbers collected together in one place, such what else was sold in similar keywords, how big are the search numbers, prices per click, etc. It gives me an overall idea about the domain. However when I look at the estimated price given by estibot, i look at it like at a grading domain tool some sort of a filtration system. less than xxxx - grade 0 (most likely worth nothing, which is also not always), more than xxxx- grade 1 - most likely worth reg fee or more. How much more? That not one automated appraisal would be able to tell, because automated appraisal is not the one that actually takes money out of pocket and pays for the domain. then i go digg deeper, into moz, alexa, archive, etc.

•••
Estibot is usually right on the money with my names

AnotherHandRegFromGodaddyFor99Cents.com Value: $0

•••
•••
so estimating a domain rely on the traffic the ppc and the amount of search?

•••
Estibot is quite good as it slaps a few dreamers around. I haven't seen too many awful names with exorbitant pricing.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back