Dynadot

showcase Showcase -Debate - Discuss .online vs. .com

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

ThatNameGuy

Top Member
Impact
Anyone reading this attend NamesCon.online? First let me say I just love the domain industry that I knew absolutely nothing about until about three years ago. Prior to 2017 all I knew about were the very traditional .com, .net, .org, ,gov and .edu extensions (the letters just right of the .Dot). While it's pretty obvious that names like .edu (education), .net (internet), .org (organization), .gov (government) how many consumers or businesses actually know what .com (???) stands for or means?

To draw a comparison (very important), i was the guest speaker at my zoom "K" (Kiwanis) meeting yesterday, and even though we were discussing two very sensitive topics, "suicide and racism" I directed us to, "how many people know what the bold "K" we proudly where on our hats, polo shirts and tee shirts stands for? Ironically, and much to the dismay of my Kiwanis brothers and sisters, very few people in the world have ever heard of Kiwanis despite having over 600,000 members in 80 different countries worldwide. As an aside, but just as important our motto is, "Serving the Children of the World"

Again this was meant to draw a comparison to how little the rest of the world (outside the domain industry) knows or even cares what's right of the .dot:xf.rolleyes:

I know it's incensed many of the members here, but this is a subject that should and needs to be discussed. Why? Because we're literally running out of .com's, and those that are still available are so "overpriced" very few consumers or businesses can afford them. Why is that? It basically involves the old economic theory of "Supply and Demand". However, unlike typical "supply and demand" theory, there are many alternatives to .com, one of them being .online like you saw NamesCon.online using to promote their annual convention which is virtual aka online:xf.smile:

Despite being actively involved in the domain industry for the last three years, I never realized until recently that anything to the .right of the dot is moot. While I own over 900 .online domains that I've accumulated in the last 30 days, many of my .online domains make more sense than their "exact match" .left of the .dot. Here are a few of mine.....LetsDiscuss.online;

Whistleblower.online
QualityDomains.online
Reservations.online (serious dispute with Go Daddy and Radix over this one)
GunSafety.online
CaliforniaHomes.online

btw, you can "Discover" anything .online from Africa to Space. Anyone know where Com is:xf.eek:

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Coach....since we're here to "Showcase", "Discuss" and "Debate" all sides of the .online vs. .com saga, here is another domain I just registered a few minutes ago;

VisionScreening.Online

Let's make the best of this thread with some constructive advice, in the hope that other people will eventually dare to participate in this thread as well, and it's no longer your Online Show.

So, you're a fan of .online. There's no problem with you doing the risk-reward analysis with your own money. You follow this online strategy, you believe in it, stick to it, and in general I like people believing in things.

Elon Musk believed in things, and is now making huge sales while selling ZEV and GHG regulatory credits. $1.58B, $594M, and $419M for the years 2020, 2019, 2018 respectively. He has zero cost to produce, and it's not even his core business, or is it? I sincerely hope you're the new Elon.

Maybe you're not in domaining for the money and just like to have some nice conversations with peers online.

I sincerely hope you will sell some domains in your favorite TLD to other domainers, or to end-users. You'd be surprised, but I will be the first to congratulate you in the...

Report Completed Domain Name Sales Here

...thread.

For this particular domain you mentioned above, I'd say: Focus on better, shorter, one-word dictionary domains first. The risk-reward ratio will be much better for you.

Last edited:
•••
All websites are online.

From the Department of Redundancy Department.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
Hey Domain.Coach....we know you don't like us, but we just hired a new BrandCoach.Online, a new DomainCoach.Online and for good luck, a NameCoach.Online.

Sorry if you're overwhelmed by .online, but that's our intention. Someday you'll just wake up and wonder WTF:xf.rolleyes:

The fact is, I do think you're an okay guy in the offline world. Drink some good wine together, listen to your stories. But online, it's kind of annoying indeed. I notice that this thread is not an open environment for other people to participate, because it's mostly about you. Cheers.

Last edited:
•••
It's like a huge highway pileup and I just can't stop watching. Every long-term/time message board, regardless of the topic, has one or more of these characters at any given time. I always wonder if the character knows that they are the character or not. It just seems like a hard way to go, being the antagonist of your own show.

•••
I have about 20 .online domains that are an exact match for operating banks in the US. For example I own DiscoverBank.Online and the largest bank in my area TowneBank.online.
Rich, this is the textbook definition of cybersquatting.

Last edited:
•••
Joe....i probably should be thanking you for all the attention you and your domain friends pay me. In order to keep my response to you OT I just finished registering the following .Online domains;

CancelFreedom.Online
CancelSpeech.Online
CancelRights.Online

To be perfectly clear, this is my OPINION just like you have yours. I don't know who made you the domain police and the judge and jury overseeing the domain industry, but I'm guessing you're self appointed.

In your post and most all previous posts, I believe you have ulterior motives to cancel my speech, my rights and my freedom to do domaining my way. You and other members have commented over and over that I'm bad for "your" industry. I put "your" industry in quotes because I believe you view me as a threat to "your" industry.

I think I've said enough, but I'll share/showcase with you and other domainers an .Online domain I registered just last night;

ToolTime.Online

Joe, I paid exactly $1.17 cents for this domain, and not because the .com version wasn't available, but because I preferred the .online version. However, unlike the .com version that's neither in use or for sale, anyone is free to buy it from me, just like I was free to buy it for myself.

Carry on Joe, and thanks for your dedicated following(y)

ps. for anyone reading this, please remember that context, hypocrisy, bigotry, ethics, truth and lies ALL MATTER .Online and offline.
You can dress it up and do whatever song and dance you need to do to make yourself feel better, Rich. Your ethically challenged decisions aren't made magically heroic or right just because you break out the hilariously overused (and misused) term "cancel culture".

Towne Bank and Discover Bank are unique brands, and you made it very clear that you knew that and registered those names because of how useful you think they would find them. That's as disreputable as when you registered the name of a well-known domain investor in .online in an attempt to connect with them on LinkedIn.

Here are some other domains you might want to think about adding to your collection:

Reputation.online
Integrity.online
Accountability.online

Hope you can find them one day.

•••
So I'll repeat to you what I just said....now listen loud and clear. Insinuating or Accusing me of cybersquatting is very serious, and I don't take it lightly. Now back off Joe Nichols. I've done absolutely nothing wrong and I abhor the insinuation.
The fact that you registered the domains because you know that existing banks operate under those very names proves your bad faith quite clearly. You have no legal claim to those names, and registering them is an attempt to benefit from their existing brand.

That's about as wrong as it gets in domain investing.

The act itself is deplorable, and the idea that there could be some great advantage to them owning their name in the .online extension is laughable.

If you were a newcomer to the industry, you'd get a pass, but you've been here for three years and in business for decades. You should know better.

•••
Wowzer 900 of them eh? In such a short time. Good luck with them!

I'd just say, it's easy to get carried away when these tld's go on sale, but the crunch will come. If you really believe in the extension, take the next year to exhaustively cull your list. The renewals on .online are double that of .com, and .online is also double the character length- not a good thing!

IMO .online vs .com: There is no contest. Saying something is online is redundant, so what's the point? That is my overall take on the extension. At least .com gives the name ambiguity.

Not to say, there are definitely some names that will work great with it. A scenario where exampleonline.com, which I come across often, for example, can rebrand to example.online. Or, like what you have NameGuy, Whistleblower and Reservations- those are fabulous!

So a few can stand out from the crowd if formed properly, this is what to look at in pretty much any nGTLD. Otherwise, pitting against .com is counter-intuitive, as both styles of domains can live together in harmony if they stick to their knitting.

•••
I'm slowly starting to hate the complete .online TLD for another reason, and that's the continuous self-promotion by 1 member in these threads.

Last edited:
•••
there will be hell to pay for the entire domain industry.

Are you able to elaborate on what you mean by this?

It's a bit concerning that you're asking for people's personal contact information and then making blanket threats against an entire industry.

Last edited:
•••
Last edited:
•••
The .com extension is not only for company but many other important words, like community, communication, compendium (see wiki), comparison etc. The list is very long with com meanings.

I sincerely hope that all these alternative explanations (or an explanation at all) for the .com TLD will not be necessary. Original intent was: commercial, not company.

Last edited:
•••
I am amazed that some people can be in a field for years and seem to have learned so little.

I guess that comes with the territory when you think you know it all and are not willing to learn...You expect to be a teacher in a field you have really not done much in. O_o

Brad

Last edited:
•••
"Are you upset that good .com domains are so expensive" Wow Joe.....are you're missing the boat:xf.frown: I'm not upset, I'm ecstatic(y) And if there are any novices out there that don't understand why I might be ecstatic, I'd suggest you talk to anyone but a domainer. Then I would suggest you ask most anyone whether or not they've heard of the new extension .online that's rapidly becoming the new replacement for .com.

If you see a puzzled look on their face have them contact me....you can FindMe.online:xf.wink:

Now ask me Joe if I'm having Fun:ROFL:online
Same weird, circular discussion as always. Carry on, Rich! I'll check back in another 3.5 years to see how much more money has been sunk into the next big idea to take the domain industry by storm.

•••
So Joe....you think investing $2,500 in 2,200 .online domains is a lot of money??? I guess you think it's like buying lottery tickets that I rarely do:xf.rolleyes: So my partner who owns Bird Mad Media will be online here in a few days. Last night after we had few beers he goes home and registers about a dozen .online domains. One of the domains he registered was/is BookaCruise.online. Now I'll let you do the homework Joe, and call down to the Caymens (tax haven) where a GD's rep will tell you how much they're asking for BookaCruise.com.

Once you've done that Joe, you might want to contact the IRS about Go Daddy's and Uni's new partnership arrangement. I haven't done it yet, and maybe you can save me some time:xf.wink:

ChaosMarketing.online
and
BetheChaos.online(y)
It's a lot to spend on an investment that has a slim chance of paying off. And I'm not just talking about the purely financial investment... What is your time worth to you?

Maybe you don't care about the hundreds of hours spent researching, buying, listing, and promoting these things. You do keep talking about how much fun you're having, so maybe this is really just a hobby for you. But then you're off talking about hiring lawyers and advertisers, and about revolutionizing the industry, so it sure sounds like you have pretty lofty expectations of success and profit for this particular venture. So I ask again... What is your time worth to you? How much are you going to need to profit from these names to hit that number?

Looking forward to hearing from your partner once he's registered here!

Last edited:
•••
Last edited:
•••
You're a little late JB;

This thread was "Moved to Domain Extensions/ Posted in the wrong forum/Thank you for understandig" This is where we'll be discussing domain Corruption.Online:xf.wink:

No Charge.

That's because you start all your promotion threads in the General Domain Discussion forum, so you constantly have the mods doing unnecessary work.

I know you care about the industry and your fellow domainers and want to make it easier for everybody to discuss topics and understand it's easier to have it all in one place.

The already existing .online showcase thread hasn't been posted in for awhile so you probably just missed it. No problem, I love helping out, keeping the place organized:

https://www.namepros.com/threads/dot-online-showcase.876437/page-28

Last edited:
•••
very few "end users" have a clue what the "com" in .com stands for

Hi rich :) does it really matter? .com = the web as we know it. Any other TLD (not taking into account ccTLDs) is inferior to that.

Also, the vast majority of endusers my age definitely do get what .com stands for. That's why we all ended up with over 20 year old domains in .org and .net leaving the .com available.

•••
I'm involved with Go Daddy Radix, the registry out of Dubai that owns the extension .online. I can't go into details here, but it involves the domain Reservations.online that they first sold to me for $1, then took it back and sent me an email saying it's now 500K. I then raised so much hell, my personal rep at GD who happens to be a pretty good guy worked with me to get it back into my account, and three days later it was removed from my account a second time.

Sounds like an interesting story but probably just a premium pricing mistake at GoDaddy. Happens all the time.

•••
Interesting thought, that postings on this forum are opinions. Thanks for the inspiration.

•••
Future Sensors...since you and others have shown an interest here, I thought I might form a consumer advocacy group

Please stop highlighting me in this thread, thank you.

•••
My neighbor converted an unused bedroom into a granny flat for his mother in law who now lives there. Unknown to him she converted the flat into a pop up dental clinic that she operates during the day when no one else is home. She’s self taught, good with her hands but hot tempered. Today at my 6-month checkup we were discussing domain hoarding and ended up in a fist fight over how to pronounce k9ine. I said two syllables kā nīn with the last “ine” silent. She spit in my face and screamed three syllables kā nīn īn. Who’s right? Thank you.

•••
"I've now reached a total of 1,810 .online domains which means I've spent a little over $2,100 for my portfolio. What's really interesting is, "if" they were .com's instead of .online Go Daddy would value them at 10.86M"

Quite unbelieve that after all this time you are quoting GD Appraisals as a comparison / evaluation

I sincerely hope people who are brand new to Namepros & the industry understand this is not the way to value domains

Good luck with with all these .online domains Rich - would be great if you can share a sale or 2 down the line to turn us "doubters into believers" (I'm a Liverpool fan so could not resist)........

Last edited:
•••
@NickB - Yes it was preposterous of you to think that domaining and marketing would go together. Give your head a shake.

•••
Nick....it really doesn't matter what another domainer thinks about GD appraisals. I'm only using them to show end users how much industry leader Go Daddy values them for. In that regard it's a big deal to me to show an end user that Go Daddy values LegalOpinion.com at $8,325, and I own LegalOpinion.online. Regardless of what you think you know Nick, my lawyer who is an immediate past President of the Virginia State Bar Association (over 3,000 lawyers), and one of the most aggressive litigators in Virginia understands the potential behind the name "Legal Opinion(s) Online".

We needn't argue Nick. you're a domain guy and I'm a marketing guy and neither the two will ever agree:xf.wink:
I don't give 2 sh**s what some so called "aggressive litigator" thinks 🙂

So based on your thought processes you are going to be selling that legal opions domain for less than $100 as that what GD values it at?

I know sales is supposed to be all about the sizzle and not the steak.....which you do rather well 😉......But a company sees you pedaling a domain valued under 100 bucks while your comparing it to an 8k one........most companies, people etc will want the steak and let you carry on sizzling......your going to need a big frying pan for all these .onlines 😁😄

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back