Dynadot

showcase Showcase -Debate - Discuss .online vs. .com

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

ThatNameGuy

Top Member
Impact
Anyone reading this attend NamesCon.online? First let me say I just love the domain industry that I knew absolutely nothing about until about three years ago. Prior to 2017 all I knew about were the very traditional .com, .net, .org, ,gov and .edu extensions (the letters just right of the .Dot). While it's pretty obvious that names like .edu (education), .net (internet), .org (organization), .gov (government) how many consumers or businesses actually know what .com (???) stands for or means?

To draw a comparison (very important), i was the guest speaker at my zoom "K" (Kiwanis) meeting yesterday, and even though we were discussing two very sensitive topics, "suicide and racism" I directed us to, "how many people know what the bold "K" we proudly where on our hats, polo shirts and tee shirts stands for? Ironically, and much to the dismay of my Kiwanis brothers and sisters, very few people in the world have ever heard of Kiwanis despite having over 600,000 members in 80 different countries worldwide. As an aside, but just as important our motto is, "Serving the Children of the World"

Again this was meant to draw a comparison to how little the rest of the world (outside the domain industry) knows or even cares what's right of the .dot:xf.rolleyes:

I know it's incensed many of the members here, but this is a subject that should and needs to be discussed. Why? Because we're literally running out of .com's, and those that are still available are so "overpriced" very few consumers or businesses can afford them. Why is that? It basically involves the old economic theory of "Supply and Demand". However, unlike typical "supply and demand" theory, there are many alternatives to .com, one of them being .online like you saw NamesCon.online using to promote their annual convention which is virtual aka online:xf.smile:

Despite being actively involved in the domain industry for the last three years, I never realized until recently that anything to the .right of the dot is moot. While I own over 900 .online domains that I've accumulated in the last 30 days, many of my .online domains make more sense than their "exact match" .left of the .dot. Here are a few of mine.....LetsDiscuss.online;

Whistleblower.online
QualityDomains.online
Reservations.online (serious dispute with Go Daddy and Radix over this one)
GunSafety.online
CaliforniaHomes.online

btw, you can "Discover" anything .online from Africa to Space. Anyone know where Com is:xf.eek:

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Seriously, what do you know about a "slim chance" of paying off:xf.rolleyes: I'm sure my time's worth a lot more than yours simply because of my entrepreneurial experience. Why are you back here anyway...i thought you said, "I'll check back in another 3.5 years to see":xf.grin:

Joe, how much is your time worth that you've spent the last 3.5 years of your life trying to learn something from me:xf.wink: The fact that you and a few others can't stay away is flattering, but collectively it has to be a total waste of time.

I would think you might make more money paying attention to your own business than paying attention to mine. Seriously, how much is your time worth?

Then for those of you who are here to learn more about the new gTLD .online you should really check it out as a viable alternative to .com. Then do a little research on your own to see if good business names left of the dot are even available to purchase with .com right of the dot. You'll be amazed at what you discover:xf.eek:
https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/ad-hominem

When you're feeling mature and courageous enough to have a real discussion, Rich, I'll be here.

•••
I don't really understand the point of registering an .ONLINE then comparing that to the GoDaddy appraised value of .COM.

First of all, automated appraisals are not very meaningful. Secondly, there is no comparison between .COM and .ONLINE.

Here is a simple (3) step business model.

Step 1 - Register thousands of .ONLINE domains.
Step 2 - ?
Step 3 - Make lots of money.

If you can just figure out step 2, you got this!

Brad

•••
Go Daddy asking so much for RefiLoan I'm embarrassed to post:xf.smile:
Just a clarification, Rich:

GoDaddy doesn't own RefiLoan in .com, so they aren't the ones asking for that price. It's been registered since 1998, and the landing page is actually a parking page with a link that redirects you to a Uniregistry sales enquiry page.

The owner has quite a nice collection of other loan related names like StartupLoans, PayLoans, and PrivateLoan.

•••
with over 80% of .com domains either already spoken for or unattainable for a variety of reasons
That's massively incorrect Rich. At the end of 2019, there were 137 million .com names registered.

Even if we only made domain names with letters, and limited ourselves to 8 characters, there would still be 208 billion possible combinations. But of course domains can be 63 characters long and contain numbers and dashes as well.

So there are actually only a miniscule fraction of a percentage of all .com domains that have been spoken for.

Promote your own opinions all you want, but please don't make up bogus statistics to support them.
.Online is rapidly becoming the new go to extension....
Can you support this claim with statistics?

Please don't reference the fact that .online is one of the new gTLDs with the most registrations, as that has very little to do with actual usage or aftermarket sales.

Last edited:
•••
Last edited:
•••
Sure Joe....i'm leading the way with over 2,500 .online extensions, and here's a few new ones I'll showcase for you. Any idea who's interested:xf.smile:

AskaNurse.online
AskaPhysician.online
AskaPlumber.online
AskaTech.online
FindaBank.online
FindaHandyman.online
AskaMechanic.online
FindaMentor.online

Joe....90% of the exact match .coms I own either lead to websites, are active but lead nowhere, or are so overpriced no one can afford them. Don't tell me you don't know that:xf.rolleyes:

IgnoranceisBliss.online:xf.smile:
Is RoseColoredGlasses.online available?

•••
I was talking with my Trademark attorney today and he couldn't believe we own;

TrademarkSearch.online - showcasing
Showcasing:

IncredibleEyeForDomains.online

•••
Brad my boy...have you checked the latest ntld stats online? As of this am, .online has moved into a strong 2nd place position of the 1,000 + new extensions. You wouldn't suppose I might have anything to do with it?
No, it's due to the extended $1 sale on .online names. Same thing happened with .xyz. For them it was enough to bring them into the top 20 most used TLDs, so who knows! Maybe one day .online will be as popular as .biz or even .info!

Last edited:
•••
Showcasing:

AlmostAsGoodAsDotBiz.online

Please note, I don't own this name, but the OP does not specify that showcased names must be currently owned, so I am showcasing .online names that I think have a great message!

I think this name would be perfect for promoting how .online is not yet as good or popular as .biz, but it could one day reach those lofty heights!

•••
It's really sad that you dislike me so much that you have an incurable need to discredit my domain strategy unless it mirrors yours. You may wish to note that i NEVER, not ONCE criticize your strategy.
Criticize away! I'm always open to constructive discussion.

You should note, though, that I don't create threads to promote my strategies and ideas, ask for feedback from others, and then insult those who don't agree with me.
CanadaClub.online
GardenClub.online
HerbClub.online
NameClub.online
DrinkClub.online
ShareClub.online
CakeClub.online
PieClub.online
DessertClub.online
SharkClub.online
SeekClub.online
LaughClub.online
CharmClub.online
LearnClub.online
ShoppersClub.online
MarijuanaClub.online
DiversityClub.online
WishClub.online
Rich, I think that as a domainer, you might just be on the brink of joining the MillionairesClub.online with these names!

Last edited:
•••
The fact they're not available and not affordable is one of the best sales tools ever for me because I have an attainable affordable solution.
Then shouldn't you be making some sales?

I'm interested in a couple aspects of your strategy:
  1. You said you don't need to renew all your names. How many are you planning to renew when the time comes?
  2. After trying this experiment of holding hundreds of domains for the year and not renewing them, will you start being a bit more selective with your registrations, by ensuring you only buy names that are worth renewing?

•••
Oh Joe....am I suppose to report sales to you? I didn't know that.
Well... you would have to make some first.

I thought you wanted to discuss your strategy, Rich. I was asking genuine questions.

•••
with over 80% of .com domains either already spoken for or unattainable for a variety of reasons, .Online is rapidly becoming the new go to extension....

Hint...are you aware that well over 50% of aftermarket domains that are sold whether they're .com's or new gTLD's are never developed? Why do you suppose that is:xf.smile:

That's a very interesting statistic, Rich. There could be a lot of potential reasons. Before discussing, could you share your source of this information?

Source: Numbers pulled from my ass.

We have seen this before. If you are going to bring stats, which are quantifiable, you need to bring a citation as well.

Last edited:
•••
VirtualCooking.online

...you obviously wouldn't know what to do with it like contact the two young chefs on Shark Tank to see if they might be interested?
They won't be interested, Rich.

As a savvy business guy, why aren't you seeing that you could take the few thousand dollars you spent in .online names and invest it in a few good quality names? Those names could be sold for a decent profit to to end users who would be happy paying the price because they know the value. And if you don't find an end user as quickly as you had hoped, the names will retain their value if you bought smartly.

End users don't see value in these .online names you're buying. Even after you explain it to them, it will be your opinion, with no backing data, against the opinion of the rest of the world.

•••
Oh Joe....i guess you did see Shark Tank then, and your comment "they won't be interested" may be right, but "Virtual Cooking Online" are the EXACT words they used. If you were working for me and you didn't at least follow up on something like this you'd be FIRED!
To clarify... You want people who are working for you to watch Shark Tank, register domain names that match what startup owners say, and then attempt to contact the owners and sell the names? That's an interesting use of time and money, Rich.
I see you didn't get back to me after checking Namebio to see how many of these sales actually turn into websites?
I actually asked you to provide your source for that statement, but you never did.
Just for giggles, here are the .xyz sales our friend from India made according to Andrew of DNN

Props.xyz $7,888 - no site
Split.xyz $7,888 - no site
Propel.xyz $2,850 - no site (however, coming soon)
Shimmer.xyz $2,700 - no site
Zinc.xyz $3,495 - no site (however, for sale at GD)
Islands.xyz $3,495 - an actual site
All short, one-word names. Interesting!
Now that you've checked my statistical analysis pulled from Namebio and the above, wouldn't you like to retract your insinuation?
There was no analysis, Rich. You just listed some sales from a blog post and made a seemingly random statement about how many names get developed.

Last edited:
•••
Joe we all know your agenda is to bait me anyway you can, but I refuse to be caught. I told you my source was Namebio for domains that are never developed, and now that you know that you refuse to accept the findings.....SAD:xf.frown: If you truly care about discrediting me Joe you have to do much better
I'm never baiting, Rich, just trying to extract information. Your statements of fact are often missing the necessary detail to derive any real meaning from them.

Now I think I understand what you're saying though... You looked at the last X number of domains listed as sold on Namebio, checked to see if they had active websites, and found that over 50% of them did not. Is that correct? If not, please clarify.

If that's the research you did, it's not terribly informative, since the time range likely wasn't long enough to expect that there would yet be active sites operating on those names. Certainly not enough time to claim that the names were "never" developed.

•••
Even based on your criteria we've gone back on Namebio to recorded sales between 2019 and 2020 and OVER 65% of sold domains have never been developed.
What criteria did you use in your search, Rich? In order to properly discuss whatever results you came up with, we need to know exactly what search filters you used. Are we talking about only .com names? Only names within a certain price range? Or did you check every single name listed on Namebio in 2019 and 2020 to see if they've been developed yet?

•••
Nunya Joe:xf.wink: Your failed attempt to take this thread off topic is just that....a failure!

I wish I could say something nice about you, but it would be a lie:xf.frown:
Showcasing:

FakeData.online

Yet again unable to express yourself without resorting to personal attacks. Such a pity that you're this poorly equipped.online to make a coherent point.

•••
The title should be .online vs .cAm or .sucks etc just kidding

you can't compare a dot com with new gtlds
the dot com is uncomparable!

•••
Thank you for immediately walking back your initial statement. You started with "hell to pay for this entire industry," then you walked it back to "some people might go to jail or face charges."

I believe that you made the correct decision because it's very important to be as clear as possible when you're making blanket threats online.

On topic: Here are a few names that are still available to register:
  • MakingThreats.online
  • PersonalInformation.online
  • PrivateInformation.online
Maybe you can push your friends at the registry to introduce .offline domains, you can use them for your preferred method of communication since you don't like to communicate.online.
You needn't reply anymore, I already know who you are. Enjoy the rest of your weekend.

•••
You get what you pay for. So while sure you can price ThisKeyword.Online at a tenth of This.Keyword or ThisKeyword.com, it doesn't mean it's as powerful of a domain name for a matching brand.

Though, the redundancy of the .online extension might actually be it's strength in the long run rather than it's shortcoming.
Thanks Ben....talk about redundent, I just reg'd OnlineGroup.Online. I've been talking it up at the gym with some old farts like me, and when they're listening, some of them really like it. GD values
OnlineGroup.com@ $9,725 so it only made sense.

The last thing I'll share is that I plan on having a UsersGroup.online for anyone that buys a .online domain from me. The user group concept and idea is very familiar to me and everyone benefits. I think that too will help close more deals. Remember I don't think like a domainer, nor do I care to. I also plan to contact all the current .online users to see if they would like to join our group.

Thanks for your input.

•••
@ThatNameGuy and @Bob Hawkes

Rich and Bob, just a quick question in case you know (sorry I have not read the whole thread, maybe someone already mentioned it) - what is the most favourable registrar atm to renew .online? PM me pls if you do not want to do public promotion. I have few .online domain names, and will transfer in case the renewal fee is favourable.

Thank you so much :)
Marek...how the heck are ya? I haven't seen you around for a while....before I ramble OT, between my response to Bob a few minutes ago I registered another two .online domains;

MakingUp.online
and
BreakingUp.online

What do you think....be honest:xf.smile:

As for the best place to rereg .online's I really don't know. However, with as many .online names that I own, if I'm successful, registrars will be clambering for my business.....i wish. Right now I'm budgeting for about a $15 to $20 renewal maybe for 50% of my domains. That would be around $10,000, but if I'm selling .Online domains and yes .Realty domains like I plan, it won't be a problem. Maybe my friends with .online domains could piggy back with me. Good Luck Marek.

•••
@ThatNameGuy and @Bob Hawkes

Rich and Bob, just a quick question in case you know (sorry I have not read the whole thread, maybe someone already mentioned it) - what is the most favourable registrar atm to renew .online? PM me pls if you do not want to do public promotion. I have few .online domain names, and will transfer in case the renewal fee is favourable.

Thank you so much :)
Marek....do you think of yourself as an "Opportunist" ? To a certain extent I see most domainers as opportunists , or they probably wouldn't be here. I just registered the domain Opportunist.Online after hearing that the most popular (by far) radio talk show host in the world died, Rush Limbaugh died today at age 70 of lung cancer. He had a daily audience of over 20M people who would be entertained by him, and he was quite the showman. Like I've said here many times, I'm neither a Republican or a Democrat and I'm neither a Liberal or a Conservative. I really can't hate anyone. In his memory I also just registered the Domain, DittoHead.Online that may turn out to have some sentimental value for any of his millions of followers. I wonder, does that make me an Opportunist Online? God Bless you Rush(y)

•••
Hi rich :) does it really matter? .com = the web as we know it. Any other TLD (not taking into account ccTLDs) is inferior to that.

Also, the vast majority of endusers my age definitely do get what .com stands for. That's why we all ended up with over 20 year old domains in .org and .net leaving the .com available.

Dirk....i've come up with a new name for the hoarding of mostly .com domains. It's "Systemic Greed" When Dominion.Domains aka DominionDomains.com knows I liked and could have bought HomeSweet.homes for $85 one day, and not to long after when I asked Jim Schrand, President if the domain was available for me to buy, he proceeded to price it in an email for $64,000. Then when I met him for coffee at a local Starbuchs and told him that was the most unethical thing I'd seen anyone do in business in my life he acted surprised:xf.rolleyes: He knew I have connections with the local media in my town, so when he realized just how pissed off I was, he offered to give me the domain. Dirk, you don't know me, but many people were surprised to learn that I didn't accept it. Then I'll move on to the unbelievable situation I'm involved with Go Daddy Radix, the registry out of Dubai that owns the extension .online. I can't go into details here, but it involves the domain Reservations.online that they first sold to me for $1, then took it back and sent me an email saying it's now 500K. I then raised so much hell, my personal rep at GD who happens to be a pretty good guy worked with me to get it back into my account, and three days later it was removed from my account a second time.

Dirk I'm not afraid to name names when I'm telling the honest truth. I'm writing a pretty scathing article titled: "Domains -Systemic Greed" that I hope to have published in in every major business journal in the world as well as other media.

Finally, while accumulating 1,200 .online domains over the last 60 days I can tell you there's a HUGE disparity between .com pricing and .online pricing. I have stories that will absolutely blow your mind, and consumers and businesses need to know about it. Just recently I learned I also have support for my project. Who knows Dirk, maybe someone is setting me up, but I don't think so. All the more reason for Whistleblower.Online.

Last edited:
•••
When you educate yourself, LLLL.com, LLL.net, CCC.com. LLL.org. with a thousand $ you should be able to buy a bunch of profitable @ <$100 LLLL .coms. even when liquidating, that's a low risk.
Do you mean to say I can buy a lot of four letter .com domains for < than $100 that are liquid/profitable:xf.rolleyes: What have i been missing? Last I checked, few if any decent .com's are available at any price. Give me an example of "a bunch of profitable/liquid domains" you've bought recently. I find that hard to believe:xf.confused:

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back