Payoneer

Report Completed Domain Name Sales Here

Discussion in 'Domain Name Sales' started by RJ, Apr 19, 2005.

Replies:
Views:

1. RJ

RJ Top Member PRO VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

This thread is a central location to report domain name sales or purchases of any dollar amount.

As much information as you can include about the transaction is welcome, but at a bare minimum please include the domain name(s), the sale price, and whether you were the seller.

Good luck with your sales!

Please use the Like and Thank links on a post to indicate that you like it or are thankful for it being shared.

Do not post, "great sale" or similar as this doesn't contribute to the thread; use Like/Thanks instead.

Suggested template (bold required):

Domain name:
    Sale venue:
    Listing type:
    Listing upgrades:
    Seller:
    Asking price:
    Sale price:
    Purchase venue:
    Purchase price:
    Details:​

Suggested values / explanations:
    • Sale venue: Sold at NamePros, outbound direct, inbound direct, etc.
    • Listing type: Make Offer, Fixed price, Auction, Auction with Buy-It-Now, Reverse auction, etc.
    • Listing upgrades: Premium package, featured listing, etc.
    • Seller: me, a friend, a friend of a friend, a colleague, someone else, unknown, etc.
    • Purchase venue: Where (and the year) the seller purchased the domain name originally.
    • Details: Any additional details about the domain name like how you bought it, how long you had it before it sold, its age, etc.

Examples:

Domain name: ThisDomain.com
    Sale venue: NamePros (2016)
    Listing type: Make offer with Buy-It-Now
    Listing upgrades: Featured listing
    Seller: Me
    Asking price: $950
    Sale price: $830
    Purchase venue: NamePros (2015)
    Purchase price: $25
    Details: Acquired from a reseller. 5 years old domain. Had for 1 year before resold.
    Domain name: ThatDomain.com
    Sale venue: GoDaddy Auctions (2012)
    Listing type: 7-day Public Auction
    Listing upgrades: N/A
    Seller: Someone else
    Asking price: N/A
    Sale price: $60
    Purchase venue: Hand registration (2009)
    Purchase price: $8
    Details: I watched its auction. The auction description said it was hand-registered the same day it dropped (from expiration).​

Important:
    • If you don't want to provide any other information about the sale besides what you've posted, then include "no further details" or "NFD" in your post.

The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
  2. -db-

-db- NamePros Inc. VIP

- Does this apply only to sales that occurred here at NP?

- What if the price is 'private' between seller/buyer?

And of course, it's not required. A voluntary thing. ;)

3. RJ

RJ Top Member PRO VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

Reported sales can be either on or off of NamePros, and if price or domain name is private than do not use this thread to report it. Participation is completely voluntary.

You can use this thread to publicize sales that don't qualify for DNJournal's weekly top domain sales.

4. LeeRyder

LeeRyder Account Auto-Closed

Whats.in $30
    EternalMemory.org $12 (was pr3 parked and getting asian traffic)

5. Midano

Midano Established Member ★★★★★★★★★★

Last sale:
    RatedHost.com - $45 - sold at NP.

6. Premium

Premium Active Member VIP

Exercise.co.in - $250
    Investor.co.in - $250

Mind you they made DNJoural's page ;)

7. Gene

Gene DomainersUniversity.com VIP

Recent sales:

SteelCube.com: $150 (on sedo)
    LeadsPage: $595 (on sedo)
    ExpressDialup.com: $4,000 (never advertised)
    TripleAdvantage.com: $12,000 (never advertised)

8. kjnetworks

kjnetworks Established Member

Last sale

creditcardt.com $100

9. CrazyTech

CrazyTech Top Member VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

Wow, wish I had done that when mine were sold!

Appliances.co.in $250
    Robots.co.in $50

10. bizbj

bizbj Active Member VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

My last sale:

Myzc.com $40
    DownMovies.com $15

11. domain4u

domain4u We Buy We Sell VIP

Webmaster.uk.com £1300 + Pro site design :P (to a design firm)

12. Lyte

Lyte Pros Against Prejudice

Is this thread for posting sales only??

Or, can questions regarding a particular sale be posted too. Would doing so be impolite?? :|

13. domain.addict

domain.addict Member VIP

-RJ-, Grrilla, and I have discussed this thread for quite some time now after I suggested it a few weeks ago. We've decided that once a week (haven't decided day yet), I will make a post with all of the sales mentioned and the major ones recognized (hopefully similar to DNJournal's). Try to post all of your sales that took place during the week and if you rather not have your username mentioned, you can PM me the sale and I will just mention the domain name without your username.

We hope this thread will help people get a better idea of what kinds of names sell and help the marketplace.

-Addy

14. Gene

GREAT idea. This will be incredibly helpful. Thank you!

Gene

Sure, why not? As long as it doesn't distract from the thread too much.

Gene

15. domain.addict

domain.addict Member VIP

Remember, you can also post where you sold the domain. If it was sold at NP, please try to mention 'Sold at NP'. If elsewhere, it would help to also mention such as Sedo, Afternic, etc.

-Addy

16. Grrilla

Grrilla Guest Guest

This is a great idea Addy! Thanks for staying with it until it came to fruition.
    I think this will be one of the more popular features here at NP. I mean, who can resist checking this out, at least, a couple of times a week?

March/Apr Sales:

RFIDEA.com $250 - Sedo (I let this go for too low a price, IMHO, but you can't win 'em all.)
    1IP.Biz $100 -Sedo
    Phishzilla.com $1,500 - Direct offer

Hey Geno! Congrats! Nice names, (obviously). Do you offer any sales negotiating seminars? :hehe:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2005
  17. EbookLover

EbookLover Established Member ★★★★★★★★★★

Is this fair to the buyer? Or is selling a domain considered public info, like buying/selling a home?

I know, as a trader, I don't want anyone really knowing what I paid for a domain. why would a non-trader buyer think any differently?

18. Grrilla

Grrilla Guest Guest

I have one name that I didn't list, because of that concern. That's a good question.
    I hope Duke passes through here and sees your question. He might have some interesting insights/perspectives as to the advantages and disadvantages of publicizing sales and why traders list sales at DNJournal.
    The exchanges all list recent sales, and unless the whois is cloaked, it isn't difficult to find out or, at least surmise, who the purchaser is.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2005
  19. Lyte

Originally Posted by Lyte Or, can questions regarding a particular sale be posted too. "Sure, why not? As long as it doesn't distract from the thread too much. Gene"

Well, because my question would be... how do you arrive/negotiate to $12K!? :|

Lyte

20. Gene

Basically, it was a matter of standing strong in my boots right from the start. Here's how the process went...

It was a young lady who first emailed me with a very brief message: "would you consider selling this domain name?" That's all there was. This strongly indicated to me that this was a VERY serious, interested party. Why? Basic human psychology. Most offers that come through ramble on and either made an offer or ask for a price right from the start. I felt this was someone who knew how to play the game -- they wanted ME to make the first move in the price war.

I decided to NOT respond to that first email to test my theory. If they WERE as interested in the name as I suspected, they would ask again soon. Sure enough, 3 days later I received another email with another very brief message asking the same question as before. I waited 2 days this time then replied with "I wouldn't rule it out, but it would have to be a very substantial offer as I'm currently using this domain for my business. Have a nice day."

The next day, an even shorter email from her: "What is 'substantial?'" I replied the next day with "I would not consider any offers of less than $12,000."

Several days later she emailed me with: "Is there any way you could take $4,000 for it?" (Now mind you, I knew I had a serious buyer on my hands at this point, and it was time to really play the game). I waited several days to let them sweat a bit and let them wonder if I dropped the issue because of their low offer. I finally replied to the lady with: "I'm sorry, but as I mentioned last week, I can't consider any offers of less than $12,000 as I am using this for my business".

She replied within hours this time (I sensed she was growing impatient) and said: "Can I have my boyfriend call you? He's better at negotiating".

Now THERE'S a dead giveaway! I gave her my phone number, and the next day I got the call from a very friendly down-to-earth gentleman: "Hi Gene, me and my girlfriend are starting a business and we're interested in your domain name. I could pay you $5,000 right now... and use escrow.com for the transaction -- I'll even pay the fees".

At this point I acted like I was growing very impatient. I explained to him everything I told his 'girlfriend', and nicely said g'bye.

Because of many things he said in our conversation, I suspected that this 'couple' were actually working for a major corp somewhere, acting as a mom & pop business.

He called the next day and left a message on my answering machine (I was expecting this would happen, so I didn't pick up the phone). "Hey Gene, we've been thinking about it and we decided we could go up to $10,000. Please let me know if we can make a deal -- call me as soon as you can".

I waited 2 days, called him back and after a bit of small-talk I said "it's been nice talking with you and I really wish you well in your new venture, but $12,000 is my absolute lowest starting point". (notice the key words "starting point"... I intentionally used those words so as to give the impression that I may even try to negotiate a higher price if you gave me time to think about it!). I got off the phone quickly, and waited for him to make his last move. He called that evening and accepted the $12,000 price. He began the escrow, I transferred the domain and I had the bank-check in hand about 10 days later.

Patience is your best friend in this business!

Gene

21. Lyte

Wow, awesome post! Thanks so much Gene cuz I sure would have caved at $5K! :lol:

It's funny that you mention them playing "mom 'n' pop" because I imagine a company being smart enough to send that first email through hotmail, excite or yahoo. It's not like they'd email you from... [email protected] :lol:

What kind of comments gave them away as being from a big company??

See, Gene's post is perfect for a "Negotiations Forum!" : )

Thanks again!

Lyte

22. domain.addict

domain.addict Member VIP

Very intersting post. Never had to negotiate yet, but hope to soon -_-

23. dmblea

dmblea Active Member VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

SucksForYou.com $40 Private Sale

24. Gene

You're absolutely right -- they used a freebie email address (I believe it was a hotmail address). They gave me absolutely no way to trace them. First names only.

It was more the way they played the game... they seemed to have their 'act' down pat. There were some giveaway key words that made them look out of character for a mom & pop. I don't remember the exact words, but they just seemed polished.

Gene

25. Midano

Midano Established Member ★★★★★★★★★★

Gene, thanks for the lesson.
    Question. When did the $12k sale happen? The only odd thing falling out of "major corporation" theory is that TripleAdvantage.com is still inactive. No "coming soon", no placeholder, no nothing.

Want to reply or ask your own question?

It only takes a minute to sign up – and it's free!