IT.COM
Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Just wondering what the general thoughts are about whether the recent trend to legalize marijuana will boost the prices of pot-related domains?

Last edited by a moderator:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
So reg microsoftmarijuana and see how it works out.
Or applemarijuana.
Or ibmmarijuana.
In this example... IBM and Microsoft are trade names.
Apple is a TM'd name WHEN USED with computers.
The phrase "Apple" is a generic term, and therefore if you used it with marijuana, it has nothing to do with Apple COMPUTER. Do you really think Apple Computer is the only trademarked term with "Apple" in it?!

•••
It's a violation of dnf all day. I would delete it...
What is your specific argument that it is a TM violation "all day long"?

•••
Keith,
I think YOU are spewing forth misinformation... are you just guessing!?
Telephone numbers ARE trade-markable, 1800flowers IS trademarked, http://tmsearch.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=doc&state=4810:jk05j4.2.5
as are others, like Empire Carpet's telephone number.
You guys don't understand. Yes 1800flowers is TMed because that's their web address. If they simply had the phone number there is no need to TM it because nobody else can copy it.

My advice would be to research what a TM is and where it applies. The domain mentioned in this thread is violating DNF for sure.

•••
What is your specific argument that it is a TM violation "all day long"?
It's confusingly similar, to the point that several people viewing this thread have mentioned it.

•••
so basically its okay to be a monopoly business now?

If I sell apples, no one else can, and if I run a domain name forum, someone cant run a domain names forum ????

•••
so basically its okay to be a monopoly business now?

If I sell apples, no one else can, and if I run a domain name forum, someone cant run a domain names forum ????
That's why you should research what makes a TM. The above examples are very different.

•••
It's confusingly similar, to the point that several people viewing this thread have mentioned it.
You obviously do not understand the difference between generic and trade name.
With your argument, DNjournal.com would be confusingly similar, as well as live sites DNexpert.com and dners.com.

•••
I dont see what the big hype is about domains and TM's...I can understand if you're fully out to violate someone and steal ppls passwords or steal their content, but as far as domains goes its an address...thats like someone copyrighting your address and kicking you out by court order because they copyrighted your house number and street name....

Its the law, plain and simple, read through this for a few weeks and see how many domainers have received C&D letters and other that have had names taken from them...this really is common sense!!

https://www.namepros.com/forums/legal-discussion.229/

I can't see how someone doesn't understand this!! What gives someone the right to register AppleComputers.com or ToyotaParts.com and benefit financially off someone else's trademark, these business have spend years and millions building their businesses, they have a right to protect it. If you want to make millions like them, start your own business

•••
You obviously do not understand the difference between generic and trade name.
With your argument, DNjournal.com would be confusingly similar, as well as live sites DNexpert.com and dners.com.
Not true.

The other guy is dnf also know as DNF or as everyone knows, domain name forum! How can you use the domain you registered different? You can't!

•••
•••
•••
lol
some people just dont understand....so they say you don't understand

•••
I think a trademark is a very recognizable thing. the only thing i recognize when i go to dnf.com is css errors.

•••
Again, you're not understanding in your defensive state. You can TM just about anything, that doesn't mean it's necessary.

Why don't you contact Adam and ask his opinion of your domain?
Keith, I have worked side-by-side with $600/hr IP attorneys for the last 10 years on TM enforcement as part of my day job: I KNOW this field. You are invorrect to say you can "TM just about anything"... that is completely false. Maybe this will help:
http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/what-cannot-be-protected-under-trademark-law.html
http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/what-cannot-be-protected-under-trademark-law.html
As far as "Adam" is concerned, (are you REALLY on a first name basis?) I would welcome him making contact with ME should he have something to say.

•••
Keith, I have worked side-by-side with $600/hr IP attorneys for the last 10 years on TM enforcement as part of my day job: I KNOW this field.
Then you wouldn't have acquired that domain.

Judging by your 800+ pot regs you have much to learn about the domain space. You have avoided telling us how you'll use your new domain. A domain forum perhaps?

•••
Then you wouldn't have acquired that domain.

Judging by your 800+ pot regs you have much to learn about the domain space. You have avoided telling us how you'll use your new domain. A domain forum perhaps?
I knew it wouldn't take you long to resort to Juvenile cut-downs instead of thoughtful comments.

•••
I knew it wouldn't take you long to resort to Juvenile cut-downs instead of thoughtful comments.
This isn't a cut. I asked you in a previous post how you could sustain 800 pot domains each year and your response was to the extent of "there's renewal fees?"

You're being asked legit questions that you can't answer. That should concern you.

•••
This isn't a cut. I asked you in a previous post how you could sustain 800 pot domains each year and your response was to the extent of "there's renewal fees?"

You're being asked legit questions that you can't answer. That should concern you.
As if it were any of YOUR business why I have 800+ names, and how I might pay for them.
(It's NONE of your business, a rude question does not deserve a straight answer.)

•••
As if it were any of YOUR business why I have 800+ names, and how I might pay for them.
(It's NONE of your business, a rude question does not deserve a straight answer.)
I asked how many pot domains you had, you said 800. If it was a rude question then you wouldn't have answered. Now you can't explain how you'll sustain all these regs. You should, it will help those of us who are learning what you already know.

•••
How many names in this niche do you have? I ask because it seems a ton.

Do you consider renewal fees when registering all these?
What stupid questions. Of course I consider renewal fees.

•••
Unfortunately you can't see sigs on NP mobile version.

So you need $8000 a year just in renewals. That's going to sting unless you find a way to cover and profit.
Yeah, thanks for your helpful math. Why would you be so concerned about MY money?

•••
What stupid questions. Of course I condiser renewal fees.
We both know that.

Now we want to know, how can you sustain almost 5 figures in renewals each year, on pot domain?

•••
Yeah, thanks for your helpful math. Why would you be so concerned about MY money?
You are quick to post 800 domains worth $8 each but can't tell us your plan to monetize them?

•••
We both know that.

Now we want to know, how can you sustain almost 5 figures in renewals each year, on pot domain?
And my reply is, because it's obvious that I have a hell of a lot more money than you do.
(By the way, you ask really rude questions. My money is none of your ****ing business.)

•••
And my reply is, because it's obvious that I have a hell of a lot more money than you do.
(By the way, you ask really rude questions. My money is non of your ****ing business.)
I'm not asking how much money you have. But, you telling us how you plan to profit from 800 reg fee domains could be helpful to beginners.

It's simple but you avoid it...

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back