IT.COM

Sav Official Thread

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Nick R

VIP Member
Sav.com Staff
Impact
Hello NamePros community! We are creating a single thread where we can share announcements in, talk about product updates, people can ask questions and host a great discussion on all things domains!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
All right, I never used sav backorders (succesfully) before so here are some questions:

I was the first to place a backorder for a .com some days ago, caught by sav going to auction:

1. First bid was placed on my behalf automatically. Will I get a notification when I get outbid?

2. If I up my bid, will that be a proxy bid or will an upped bid of $1500 set it to that number straight away.

3. How do you deal with last second bidding? Will the auction get extended or what?

Sav faq/blog seems quite generic leaving a lot of room for interpretation.

@Sav.com @Nick R or anyone with backorder experience at sav feel free to chime in!
1. Yes. You should get notification for outbid and every other bid (doesn't always works).

2. Any other bid you place is proxy bid.

3. Any bid in the last 5', extends the auction to 5' till end.

•••
1. Yes. You should get notification for outbid and every other bid (doesn't always works).

2. Any other bid you place is proxy bid.

3. Any bid in the last 5', extends the auction to 5' till end.

Thank you very much! Appreciate it!

•••
All right, I never used sav backorders (succesfully) before so here are some questions:

I was the first to place a backorder for a .com some days ago, caught by sav going to auction:

1. First bid was placed on my behalf automatically. Will I get a notification when I get outbid?

2. If I up my bid, will that be a proxy bid or will an upped bid of $1500 set it to that number straight away.

3. How do you deal with last second bidding? Will the auction get extended or what?

@Sav.com @Nick R or anyone with backorder experience at sav feel free to chime in!
1 - Yes

2 - We will increase your bid by the minimum amount needed to become the high bidder, up to your max.

3 - If a bid is placed in the last 5 minutes of an auction, the auction is extended so there are 5 minutes remaining from the time that bid is placed. There is no hard stop time for an auction.

•••
1 - Yes

2 - We will increase your bid by the minimum amount needed to become the high bidder, up to your max.

3 - If a bid is placed in the last 5 minutes of an auction, the auction is extended so there are 5 minutes remaining from the time that bid is placed. There is no hard stop time for an auction.

Cheers!

•••
Bulk change of account malfunctioning again.
I tried to push 40 names and I had to do it 4 times. First time only 17 moved, 19 the second, 0 the third and finally 4 the forth!

•••

There is some dubious activity from SAV side, if you backorder a good domain, they will push it to auction, so they can get as much as possible out of you and others, I m sure i was the only one to backorder.
I will keep screenshots of who bid and then see if the pattern repeats, might be someone from SAV staff want to grab or push the limits with bids in auction.
Once I was faster than SAV to dropcatch a domain, must learn the precise time to do the reg and skip their backorder, that is why it is better to keep a local list and not add them at backorder so they will see the staff you are interested in.

•••
There is some dubious activity from SAV side, if you backorder a good domain, they will push it to auction, so they can get as much as possible out of you and others, I m sure i was the only one to backorder.
I will keep screenshots of who bid and then see if the pattern repeats, might be someone from SAV staff want to grab or push the limits with bids in auction.
Once I was faster than SAV to dropcatch a domain, must learn the precise time to do the reg and skip their backorder, that is why it is better to keep a local list and not add them at backorder so they will see the staff you are interested in.

Thanks. I'm not a fan of sav either but do use them for backorders for lower tier domains in case someone else misses the drop.

Their auctions are shady as f* so yeah, will be watching closely.

•••
Fake Bidders On sav.
Sav is indulged in the malpractice of putting fake bids on domain names.
g_g_6b103f this user is a bot increasing the bid on a domain I am bidding and sav takes no action.

•••
Fake Bidders On sav.
Sav is indulged in the malpractice of putting fake bids on domain names.
g_g_6b103f this user is a bot increasing the bid on a domain I am bidding and sav takes no action.

How did you realize that?

I'm sensing the same thing for a long time so I'm looking for a certain pattern.

•••
@Traderas - We are seeing an increased error rate on our end and well and should be permanently resolving it within the next two weeks. Please reach out to support if you see an issue in the meantime.

@iTesla @branding - I can assure you that we take the integrity of our auction platform very seriously and prohibit all staff from participating. When multiple users backorder a domain, we give the first bid to the first user who backordered the domain. When then email the rest of the users who placed the backorder alerting them to the auction. We do not publish the other users though, or how many users backordered domain currently.

@yadav1711 @kor - Because we pre-auth all new bidder's credit cards/payment methods, fake bids become very hard to pull off, if even possible at all. I did take a look at g_g_6b103f and the auction that you are referring to and can assure you that they are a real verified bidder.

•••
@Traderas - We are seeing an increased error rate on our end and well and should be permanently resolving it within the next two weeks. Please reach out to support if you see an issue in the meantime.

@iTesla @branding - I can assure you that we take the integrity of our auction platform very seriously and prohibit all staff from participating. When multiple users backorder a domain, we give the first bid to the first user who backordered the domain. When then email the rest of the users who placed the backorder alerting them to the auction. We do not publish the other users though, or how many users backordered domain currently.

@yadav1711 @kor - Because we pre-auth all new bidder's credit cards/payment methods, fake bids become very hard to pull off, if even possible at all. I did take a look at g_g_6b103f and the auction that you are referring to and can assure you that they are a real verified bidder.
I was the first to backorder a domain but I was not given the first bid. And i was the only bidder but still domain was taken to public auction.

•••
@yadav1711 - We allow users to place backorders for domains at any time and do not publish who the first user to place a backorder was at what time. There are backorders placed for domains that drop in 5 years, and some for domains that may never drop. That's the great part of our no-fee domain backorders! If you want to submit a support ticket with the domain name then DM me your email address I would be happy to verify.

Update: @yadav1711 shared the domain with us and we can verify that there were multiple backorders on the domain, with some users having placed backorders before @yadav1711

Last edited:
•••
I was the first to backorder a domain but I was not given the first bid. And i was the only bidder but still domain was taken to public auction.

All domains with multiple backorders go to public auction. If you were the first one to backorder, it should state so in your backorder confirmation email.

•••

I hope my past experience might help :)

1 - Yes

2 - Proxy bid only

3 - Extension of 5 minutes

•••
@Nick R @Sav.com

In the past, I only used SAV for domain registration. Now, I have decided to list domains for sale there as well.

Here are some questions that pop up on my mind:

(1) Do the domains for sale have to be regged under SAV?

(2) What is the commission rate? I read 4% on the website but is it too good to be true?

(3) For paypal transfer, do buyers get the promised amount? or is it subject to Paypal fees?

Thanks.

•••
As a seller, I quite like SAV. I've had some issues with their UI, but it has been a good experience overall.

I am definitely confused over why hand reg'd domain names with weird extensions end up in in bidding wars, when these same names wouldn't even be given consideration at other auction outlets like Sedo. Its just an oddity, but perhaps SAV captures a different market segment compared to other sites.

Last edited:
•••
@kor - Because we pre-auth all new bidder's credit cards/payment methods, fake bids become very hard to pull off, if even possible at all. I did take a look at g_g_6b103f and the auction that you are referring to and can assure you that they are a real verified bidder.
Unfortunately, pre-authorization is not an exact solution.

In the last few months, the same domains have been repeatedly auctioned by some customers. Especially the ones with the 'digitalized' keyword and ending with the .games extension.
They simply open new fake accounts, produce fresh virtual cards, and go hunting by bidding high on their domains and keep shill bidding. Since they reset the limit of the cards after entering the bids, the domain name cannot be sold and therefore the pre-authorization has no meaning.

There should be a gap in between for the same unsold domain name to be auctioned again; like 2 months.
Thus, you reduce both the chaos on the platform and the possibility of fraud.

Also, is it possible to enclose the TLD selections on the left side of the auctions page in a small scroll-box?
It stretches the page unnecessarily and creates an ugly view.

•••
It s not only .games, there is a bunch of names repeatedly auctioned.
Some examples are funds.xyz, democrat.xyz, bowling.xyz, money.limited, cargo.limited, cbd.memorial, uxxj.com, ujjx.com, violinvelvet.com. All these are fake auctions, repeated at least 3 times last 2 months...
A maximum of 2 consecutive auctions I thing would be a possible choice.
Maybe you should completely forbid auctions for the accounts that have a very high
number of domains being repeatedly auctioned...

Last edited:
•••
It s not only .games, there is a bunch of names repeatedly auctioned.
Some examples are funds.xyz, democrat.xyz, bowling.xyz, money.limited, cargo.limited, cbd.memorial, uxxj.com, ujjx.com, violinvelvet.com. All these are fake auctions, repeated at least 3 times last 2 months...
A maximum of 2 consecutive auctions I thing would be a possible choice.
Maybe you should completely forbid auctions for the accounts that have a very high
number of domains being repeatedly auctioned...
Here is an idea:

If an auction winner doesn't pay, the domain goes to a private auction with only those that participated on the auction

•••
Don't know what alias means in this context...I am using only one email for all my domain registrations and that is same for Sav account.

I didn't try to create any other Sav account.

All of sudden this error started...this is after owning 400+ names at Sav.

Thanks.

Edit: contacted support and their reply is...

{
Hello Ravi,

Since your email address contains more than one period, our system blocks it from transactions as many spam email accounts contain multiple periods. I am sorry to hear that you have this issue! To resolve it, you will need to update your Sav email address to one that contains one or less periods. Please reply with the email address that you would like to have on file and I will go ahead and change it for you. Sorry about the inconvenience, let me know if there is anything else I can help you with!

Thanks,
Jacob
}

Don't know what alias means in this context...I am using only one email for all my domain registrations and that is same for Sav account.

I didn't try to create any other Sav account.

All of sudden this error started...this is after owning 400+ names at Sav.

Thanks.

Edit: contacted support and their reply is...

{
Hello Ravi,

Since your email address contains more than one period, our system blocks it from transactions as many spam email accounts contain multiple periods. I am sorry to hear that you have this issue! To resolve it, you will need to update your Sav email address to one that contains one or less periods. Please reply with the email address that you would like to have on file and I will go ahead and change it for you. Sorry about the inconvenience, let me know if there is anything else I can help you with!

Thanks,
Jacob
}
@Nick R I have not received any resolution...

Already registered dozens of new names with other registrars...now I am trying to renew in bulk and saw same msg.

If you can address this quickly...I will continue or else I have to transfer out...

Thanks.

•••
@Nick R

Same issue as an user couple of posts above. Placed a backorder, email stated none were submitted before I did, yet when the auction started I was not first bidder and no bid was made on my behalf.

Worst of all, because of this you will not be following the auction and miss any updates regarding the auction.

Also noticing a lot of suspicious auction behaviour for other domains but that has been discussed plenty of times before...

•••
Unfortunately, pre-authorization is not an exact solution.

In the last few months, the same domains have been repeatedly auctioned by some customers. Especially the ones with the 'digitalized' keyword and ending with the .games extension.
They simply open new fake accounts, produce fresh virtual cards, and go hunting by bidding high on their domains and keep shill bidding. Since they reset the limit of the cards after entering the bids, the domain name cannot be sold and therefore the pre-authorization has no meaning.

There should be a gap in between for the same unsold domain name to be auctioned again; like 2 months.
Thus, you reduce both the chaos on the platform and the possibility of fraud.

Also, is it possible to enclose the TLD selections on the left side of the auctions page in a small scroll-box?
It stretches the page unnecessarily and creates an ugly view.

I agree. Just noticed the same LLL being auctioned for the third time within a month. All previous winners new accounts, no payment...

I wonder how the real owner of the domain isn't fed up with that shit...

Funny stuff going on...

•••
actually now the same thing is happening on mittel.org ....

•••
I wonder how the real owner of the domain isn't fed up

The person who started the auction and the person who made the bids are the same person.
They are setting up a trap by creating fake accounts. As soon as another user comes and says "This domain attracts a lot of attention, high offers have been given. I must buy it!" he is hooked.

In short, this is called shill bidding, it's a well-known old tactic and it's obvious that company executives are determined not to take action against it.
I don't want to believe that someone in charge of the company's technical department (Nick) does not know about such tricks.

SAV offers a huge open platform for fraud.

•••
Question about Sav/Afternic integration:

All of my newly registered domains become eligible for Afternic Fast Transfer inside my Sav account. Does this mean that all of the approved domains will immediately be available for Fast Transfer, or do they still need to sit for 60 days before becoming eligible?

•••
Back