IT.COM

Porkbun Official Thread

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Porkbun

Established Member
Porkbun.com
Impact
OINK! Hello to everyone here at NamePros, I’m happy to be joining y’all. My name’s Eddie and as the title suggests this will be our official thread here for funneling announcements, questions, feedback, and anything else folks want to talk about. I or someone else on the team will be checking regularly and being as responsive as possible.

And of course, if you need help with your Porkbun account, you can reach our support team (including me) 9 am to 5 pm PST seven days a week at [email protected], 855-767-5286, or by clicking the “Help” icon on our site to start a live chat.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
@Porkbun crypto payments section was recently updated to just the following:

We accept payments for products using cryptocurrency. We have migrated our crypto payments over to Coinbase's onchain payment protocol. Payments using crypto will no longer incur an additional fee and can now be processed in the same flow as other payment methods.

As a matter of fact, crypto payments are not free. They may be high (bitcoin transactions recently) or may vary depending on various factors like current network load (ETH). As such, it is much more practical to prepay via crypto once, to save on transfer fees. As a domainer, I have frequent small transactions, and so it makes sense to a) send crypto (pre)payment to account balance AND b) use said balance for subsequent routine transactions. After the upgrade, I cannot find a way to simply prepay to Porkbun with crypto without ordering any product. Which actually makes crypto unusable @ porkbun [with rare exception of lets say bulk transfer of hundreds of domains]. Please return an opportunity to refill account balance with crypto!
Or, maybe it is hidden somewhere and I missed it?

Edited: Please also add a list of cryptocurrencies supported by the current payment processor

Edited 2: Just found the following on your current payment processors website: "Customers can use their verified Coinbase account to pay any Commerce merchant". I do not have a "coinbase" account, nor I need or want to open one. So, it appears that porkbun elected to limit crypto payments to existing customers of a particular exchanger? Which, for the record, has extremely bad (1.5) trustpilot rating:

https://www.trustpilot.com/review/coinbase.com

(in contrast, porkbun has excellent 4.8 rating)
If so, it is unfortunate. In this case, a lot of customers (myself including) would stop using crypto @ Porkbun :(

Last edited:
•••
@Porkbun crypto payments section was recently updated to just the following:

We accept payments for products using cryptocurrency. We have migrated our crypto payments over to Coinbase's onchain payment protocol. Payments using crypto will no longer incur an additional fee and can now be processed in the same flow as other payment methods.

As a matter of fact, crypto payments are not free. They may be high (bitcoin transactions recently) or may vary depending on various factors like current network load (ETH). As such, it is much more practical to prepay via crypto once, to save on transfer fees. As a domainer, I have frequent small transactions, and so it makes sense to a) send crypto (pre)payment to account balance AND b) use said balance for subsequent routine transactions. After the upgrade, I cannot find a way to simply prepay to Porkbun with crypto without ordering any product. Which actually makes crypto unusable @ porkbun [with rare exception of lets say bulk transfer of hundreds of domains]. Please return an opportunity to refill account balance with crypto!
Or, maybe it is hidden somewhere and I missed it?

Edited: Please also add a list of cryptocurrencies supported by the current payment processor

Edited 2: Just found the following on your current payment processors website: "Customers can use their verified Coinbase account to pay any Commerce merchant". I do not have a "coinbase" account, nor I need or want to open one. So, it appears that porkbun elected to limit crypto payments to existing customers of a particular exchanger? Which, for the record, has extremely bad (1.5) trustpilot rating:

https://www.trustpilot.com/review/coinbase.com

(in contrast, porkbun has excellent 4.8 rating)
If so, it is unfortunate. In this case, a lot of customers (myself including) would stop using crypto @ Porkbun :(
Hi, the fee change noted here is referring to the 10% additional fee we charged and is not in reference to any network or other transaction fees charged by third parties. We are no longer charging an additional 10% for crypto transactions on our end with the new payment flow.

We are working on a way to transfer direct to account credit like previous using this new flow, and that should be out relatively shortly.

We've used Coinbase for a while as our crypto payment processor, it only is now going through a new more flexible flow that allows processing domain transactions instantly rather than waiting for pre-funding. Pre-funding will be a future option here soon and these transactions should also be faster than the previous method.

The new flow also accepts more currencies and does not require a Coinbase account. If you're using a Coinbase account, anything already linked in that account can be used. Otherwise you can use your preferred wallet, currently Base, Ethereum, and Polygon are accepted with support for more planned.

•••
@tonyk2000 well "relatively shortly" turned out to be extremely short. The option to purchase account credit with crypto is back and will show under your account settings page.

Screenshot 2024-02-05 at 3.44.06 PM.png

•••
Porkbun USA Today.png

"We’re honored to have been recognized by USA Today as the #1 domain registrar and 'Best For Long-Term Savings' with 5/5 stars. Low prices, amazing customer service, and incredible products are the foundation for everything we strive to provide you every day." --Porkbun Domains.

Last edited:
•••
I placed a card in my profile. Then when I went to transfer a name from GoDaddy to you - a stripe payment processor opened up and asked for my card again (there was no method to use the card on file). That's annoying. Can you allow us to use the card on file please?

Also - are you able to join Sedo's fast transfer program (in addition to Afternic's)? Or are you limited to one or the other?

Last edited:
•••
I placed a card in my profile. Then when I went to transfer a name from GoDaddy to you - a stripe payment processor opened up and asked for my card again (there was no method to use the card on file). That's annoying. Can you allow us to use the card on file please?

Also - are you able to join Sedo's fast transfer program (in addition to Afternic's)? Or are you limited to one or the other?
Hi @Sperry8, is this a new account? We require new accounts to reauthorize their card due to abuse of stolen cards. If you can email support they can probably get you cleared.

Sedo is still somewhere down the road, I'll ping our dev team on it.

•••
Porkbun offering new com's at $6.99 right now :xf.smile:

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back