IT.COM

Registrar Now Sells Ownership Protection From Theft!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Silentptnr

Domains88.comTop Member
Impact
Just noticed this when I logged into GoDaddy today. Might not be new, but I never noticed it before.

ownership-protection.png

I clicked on it and it took me to the shopping cart with a $14 cost.

Here is a link to an explanation of what this protection offers...
https://www.godaddy.com/help/what-is-protected-registration-1286

Seems like there are pros and there are cons.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Just noticed this when I logged into GoDaddy today. Might not be new, but I never noticed it before.

Show attachment 83715

If the technology is in place then it should be done for free as a service.

Guess they will do anything to make a buck and the additional cost of $14 is unfair.
  • Deadbolt Transfer Protection — Puts your domain name on lockdown, making it impossible for any inadvertent, accidental, or malicious transfer. Unlike regular domain name locking, which occurs at the registry level, Deadbolt Transfer Protection offers an even higher level of security — we lock your domain name in your account.

Last edited:
•••
Another way to get more money, imho.

I am pretty new to domaining, I have around 50 names. And I made a simulation:

blablabla.com, with this new GD Privacy and Ownership Protection will cost me $32.32 (I am not a member of GD Discount Club).

blablabla.com, with TFA (Google Authenticator), FREE privacy and strong protection (unlock account / unlock domain) will cost me $6.99 at Dynadot. Or $8.99 when the promo will end.

•••
IMO...it is already their job to provide this level of protection.

•••
IMO...it is already their job to provide this level of protection.

Completely agree. If someone is able to steal my domain without this "insurance", their security folks aren't doing their job.

•••
I'm sure it's a staggered rate depending on the value of the domain.

Type in an expensive domain and see what the insurance rate is, I will guarantee you it goes up exponentially.

•••
•••
•••
In other words "We are a crappy registrar and thieves might steal your domain from us. Come on, don't be a dick and pay us more so we can protect your name properly (we should do this for free by default cause it's our job as ""world's best registrar""), but why not milk you idiots of some extra moolah!

Disgusting imo...

•••
If they were smart they would advertse free domain protection guaranteed.

•••
•••
Good shout @creataweb, I would be really interested to hear input from that perspective.

•••
Good shout @creataweb, I would be really interested to hear input from that perspective.
Me too. I just don't know why this isn't built in. The website doesn't explain how this "lock" is accomplished either.

I have read some comments on the GD site that indicate if this is used, the domain can't be sold or anything. Also, it appears that this service affects the ENTIRE account (all domains).

So, basically for $14 you get your entire account locked down from any push, transfer, sale, etc.

I could be wrong.

•••
It also mentions that if a domain is protected and the domain registration expires, you don't lose it. They hold it for 1 year. It says you just have to pay the renewal fee. Doesn't mention if there would be a Redemption Fee which is hefty at GD. Just says applicable renewal fee.

•••

I *think* this is a service Godaddy has offered for a long time. To be honest, I'm not exactly sure what it offers that is not standard. Transfer locking is a pretty standard option as is providing information to "...keep track of vital domain name information". I suppose expiration protection can be valuable, but only if the terms surrounding what happens in that case is better explained. Most registrars offer a grace period to renew, so I'm not exactly sure I understand what Godaddy does with domains that have opted in for expiration protection? How long do they pay the renewal fees? What is the cost to get the domain back/restored?

Anyway, thanks for tagging us as we're always interested in things that can improve our service and if anyone finds out more specifically what is actually being offered, we'd be happy to consider adding the same if real value exists.

•••
Anyway, thanks for tagging us as we're always interested in things that can improve our service and if anyone finds out more specifically what is actually being offered, we'd be happy to consider adding the same if real value exists
Actually I wanted to post something related here, then decided to go NameSilo thread instead, but found that the main "NameSilo" thread is about market/sales only. What if you start an "official" thread where NameSilo _registrar_ features - like this one - can be discussed?

•••
Actually I wanted to post something related here, then decided to go NameSilo thread instead, but found that the main "NameSilo" thread is about market/sales only. What if you start an "official" thread where NameSilo _registrar_ features - like this one - can be discussed?

Sure, we'd be happy to engage on such a thread :)

I'm not personally exactly sure how/where to create such a thread. Maybe it would be better started by a user as opposed to us as the company?

•••
Maybe it would be better started by a user as
opposed to us as the company?
This user will then receive a lot of forum noticiations about each and every new post, comment etc!

•••
Sure, we'd be happy to engage on such a thread :)

I'm not personally exactly sure how/where to create such a thread. Maybe it would be better started by a user as opposed to us as the company?
Love you site. So fast!

•••

Show attachment 83715

They are getting very close to offering domain name insurance before long

Domain names should come with automatic parking pages from the registrar with adds on with ad $''s split between registrant and registrar but with the parking $`'s automatically renewing a person's domain name making it virtually free to renew permantly making domain name investing even cheaper

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back