IT.COM

1 full year for redemption?? - Domain Protection from GD

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
I received an expiration notice from Godaddy for a SSL I purposely let expire. The email contained some text I have never seen in a GD email before and I was curious if any of you guys are aware of this. (I never signed up for Domain Protection services)

One or more of your domain names is PROTECTED. Expiration Protection means you've avoided loss of registration due to credit card expiration, failed billing, outdated contact information – even simple forgetfulness. Your domain(s) will remain protected for 1 year, at which point it will be put up for redemption if left unrenewed.

Note: Domain names with protected registration will automatically renew. The renewal settings cannot be changed and the service cannot be canceled without the listed registrant submitting documentation.

https://www.godaddy.com/help/what-is-protected-registration-1286

What exactly does this mean - especially for domains I plan to drop? How did I get signed up?

GD customer support seems a little clueless. They are listing domains that I let expire as the ones I have domain protection on. Basically they are explaining to me how things have always worked at GD - when this seems to be new and mentions I must submit documents to change my renewal settings.

(n)

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Hmmm... From what I gather from the chat representative is that this is autoapplied to everyone's domains so they don't risk losing them on accident.

I must admit I am more confused after talking to them. (they mentioned 44 days, but then agreed after I sent them the link that this service holds it a year)

So will domains now be held a year before they reach Expired Auctions?
Or are things as they have always been?

Is this something that has been around that I somehow have never noticed?

Last edited:
•••
I am guessing the text in the email was sent to me in error. I have never purchased Domain Protection, which appears to be a service offered by GD.

I believe the GD Representative must have not known about the product either as they just seem to have been reading me info from the product page and confused me when they implied to was active on all domains.

So I apologize if you read this thread...

•••
No, thank you. The more things I read about goodaddy and there eroneous system, the more convinced I am to not use them (y)

•••
No, thank you. The more things I read about goodaddy and there eroneous system, the more convinced I am to not use them (y)
I’m currently spending hundreds of dollars to transfer all my names out of GD. Done with their bs, cluelessness and sneaky ways.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back