Dynadot

.mobi .mobi domains

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I was just wondering what everyone thought about .mobi domains.
Is there really a market for these. I noticed there are many good keywords available, but is it worth the investment? What are the pros and cons?
Tell me what you think. :)
Thanks

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
For your reading pleasure, a couple threads with quite a few thoughts and opinions.

http://www.namepros.com/domain-name-discussion/231309-mobi-landrush-whos-in.html?

http://www.namepros.com/domain-name-discussion/210496-mobi-domains.html?

For me, I haven't yet decided how well I like the extension. The core idea is good, but I'm just not sure how well it will be accepted by the public. Time will tell. To avoid missing the boat, I pre-ordered 3 using a special "premium landrush" placement, which costs a few dollars more, but supposedly gives you better odds.

•••
-db- whats this about a "premium landrush" placement , and where do i find it. or is it a secert?

•••
•••
space101 said:
-db- whats this about a "premium landrush" placement , and where do i find it. or is it a secert?
The service is offered at www.EuroDNS.com

“Landrush” and “Premium”
Given that Mobi should be such a popular extension, mTLD is willing to give early-adopters a bonus. Right after the Sunrise but before General Registration, the Landrush period is reserved to them to that aim.
Additionally, during the regular period, a few domain names will be available at a premium price. The list will be published by mTLD at a later date.

Open to anyone but with extra cost 14€ - September 26th to October 10th 2006.

https://www.eurodns.com/info/mobi/sunrise.php#landrush

When you find an available name, add to cart, then after you view your cart and proceed to the order screen, you will see two different pre-order options...

- Premium Landrush (24+14€)
- Landrush (24€)

You will also see if anybody has ordered with a Trademark, Sunrise etc.

•••
-db- said:
...supposedly gives you better odds.

That's the part I can't figure out. How is going through EuroDNS "premium landrush" going to give you better odds than any other .mobi registrar if multiple people are all trying to reg the same name?

•••
Thanks everyone for replying. I wonder how many people who are not " domainers" even know what .mobi is all about. It would seem that to spark any interest and use of this ext that it would take some serious marketing. With that in mind, I think it would be very limited in it's usefulness. I have an internet mobile phone, but rarely use it for browsing. It is just to slow. I also could not imagine trying to view data rich pages like something Ebay would have on a 4 square inch screen. It seems that usefulness would be very limited. This would seem to limit value of these names even with otherwise good keywords. I also wonder if technology such as eyeware displays ( check out
http://www.microopticalcorp.com/ ) would render .mobi obsolete.

•••
Phronesis said:
That's the part I can't figure out. How is going through EuroDNS "premium landrush" going to give you better odds than any other .mobi registrar if multiple people are all trying to reg the same name?
Hello Tom,

I honestly don't know the details about how their system works, or IF it works.

To sum it up, I was told by a EuroDNS rep - They have a close relationship with mTLD, they expect to be one of the first companies thru the starting gate, and during this short landrush period (2 weeks before general registration) they will be submitting the applications in the order they were received, using the date of payment to create a list of priority & bandwidth (connection to the mTLD registry) dedicated to their customers who used the service.

But who knows... it could be a bunch of sales mumbo-jumbo.

I've got my fingers crossed.

•••
I'd bet 50% or more pre-ordered sales are for the same domains...I'm sure the few I put in for are requested by thousands...well, except the one black sheep I'm hoping everyone and their dogs overlook...

•••
-db- said:
Hello Tom,

I honestly don't know the details about how their system works, or IF it works.

To sum it up, I was told by a EuroDNS rep - They have a close relationship with mTLD, they expect to be one of the first companies thru the starting gate, and during this short landrush period (2 weeks before general registration) they will be submitting the applications in the order they were received, using the date of payment to create a list of priority & bandwidth (connection to the mTLD registry) dedicated to their customers who used the service.

But who knows... it could be a bunch of sales mumbo-jumbo.

I've got my fingers crossed.

Thanks DB. I only applied for 1 name back in early May. I'd be thrilled to get it. The downside is if I don't get it, I'd rather have my $79 (or so) back - not a lame credit.

•••
nedlog said:
With that in mind, I think it would be very limited in it's usefulness. I have an internet mobile phone, but rarely use it for browsing. It is just to slow. I also could not imagine trying to view data rich pages like something Ebay would have on a 4 square inch screen. It seems that usefulness would be very limited. This would seem to limit value of these names even with otherwise good keywords.

Remember that cell phones aren't the only mobile devices -- there are also Blackberries and T-Mobile-type devices that are infintiely better at displaying web sites. Still no substitute for the Internet, but. These types of phone+web interactions will increase, not decrease, so I don't think on its face it's a bad idea. More companies are designing lower-bandwidth/adjusted page margin type web sites specifically for use with a mobile device (example: m.google.com).

However, my personal opinion is that .mobi's usefulness will be limited more by consumer usage patterns than anything else, at least in terms of the way these devices are used at present. I personally have a Blackberry and while its Web browser works, it can be slow. I don't really use it to go to Google and search for a website, I just type something in directly. If I know I'm going to need a map, I type in google maps. If I know I want to see the IKEA store's hours for my local, I type in IKEA.com.

Similarly, I think most people, if they even knew about the .mobi extension, would mostly use it for large companies with deep enough pockets to expect them to have their own TLD -- and therefore their own .mobi.

Without the utilization of search functions, that renders the sort of domains most domainers would be able to buy (i.e. non-TM'ed stuff) fairly useless.

Maybe this is a jaundiced view, but as I have thought about the usefulness of .mobi, I've tried to come at it from my own perspective as a consumer -- how would *I* use it? -- and have come up pretty blank.

ripley.

•••
Remember that cell phones aren't the only mobile devices -- there are also Blackberries and T-Mobile-type devices that are infintiely better at displaying web sites.

Precisely , smartphones and PDA's .....

•••
Naturally technology regarding mobile browsing is going to be on the rise, allowing us to eventually browse sites at faster speeds, downloading images efficiently and being able to browse full sites across all TLDs.

Wouldn't that make .mobi eventually obsolete?

Since from what I can gather its purpose is to provide users with a stripped down site for faster loading and ease of use.

I suppose margin sizes etc don't come into play when viewing pages not specifically designed for mobile devices, but I still have no problem using my mobile for general browsing.

I can see the future of .mobi not bring so bright

•••
I think the only way for the .mobi to be successful is if the mobile phone providers themselves use the extension and promote it to their customers.

And of course as some have said, the mainstream companies too.

•••
•••
Binfus said:
Initially I got interested but after finding out that pretty much all desirable names (approx. 6000) are reserved by the reegistry to be auctioned off later to the highest bidder, I got turned off. See the list of reserved names here:

http://pc.mtld.mobi/documents/List of dotmobi Premium and Reserved Names -12 Sept 2006.pdf

Yeah that also frustrated me...I was going to see if I could get lucky in the beginning and snap up a premium .mobi. Can't really see it happening!

It's an extension I'm not going to gamble on with the high reg fees, as I can't see a huge future for it.

•••
There are still good names not on the reserved list.

And if you look closely, there are quite a few odd choices on there...

LowerBackPain.mobi
LowerBackTattoos.mobi

???? Those are on the reserved list ????

Not exactly a strong mobile connection or relevance.

Plus, I figure the shorter url the better, if the intended purpose is to type/access these sites from mobile devices with tiny little buttons. And there are some nice 3 and 4 letter names not on that reserved list.

I ordered three names, and none of them ended up being on the list (and I had not checked it before I ordered them), and they are very nice names, so they didn't reserve them all. :)

•••
-db- said:
There are still good names not on the reserved list...........

I ordered three names, and none of them ended up being on the list (and I had not checked it before I ordered them), and they are very nice names, so they didn't reserve them all. :)
Good Luck with your pre-orders. Meanbwhile, let me take another look..... :)

•••
One of the unique things about .mobi is that BIG players and industry giants are backing it....there has never been a tld with that kind of industry support before; rumour has it that it's just a matter of time before all mobile devices would have .mobi set as default for web browsing.

•••
TheLegendaryJP said:
Now I am utterly confused found 3 I liked, available BUT show TM claims made when you go to cash out. So why even bother ?
I wouldn't bother to pre-order if the name already had TM claims showing.

None of the three I ordered had TM/Sunrise stuff pending. Heck, it's a risky venture to begin with, an expensive extension to register... why complicate things further by having your money tied up for months while waiting to see if the other person's trademark claim is legit.

•••
.mobi will take off and will be the mobile .com

I already sold two mobi related domains. This extension is backed my many big industry players and every company wants to get into your cellphone.

It will be "forced" on us with huge, separate marketing campaigns tripping over themselves to get you to go to their .mobi site while you are away from your computer.

How do you think ebay will do with .mobi on your cellphone, Amazon? MySpace? YouTube? HUGE HUGE!

•••
I think at first they will be like everything else people will swarm to get them first but I think after a while their popularity will die down.

•••
I think what will determine whether or not .mobi takes off is...

1. do the sites have useable content

2. are the handset companies using .mobi as the default search engine

3. lower priced phone internet service

4. marketing, marketing, marketing by the creators of .mobi

Now, the other thing to consider is there has to be user friendly site builders so people who don't know anything about code can post their site. At first i thought the reserved/premium name list was a bit of a farce, but i now think that .mobi is trying to ensure at least premium names are sites with useable content (not just parked because of speculation). Otherwise, users will not keep coming back to the sites.

I am wondering however, if there will actually be a device, a mobi that will be the next generation of the pda/phone/computer/game/music/movie player on the go.

I think the landrush will be a bit of a mess; it reminds me of a name drop where all the registrars are competing to get the name. I wonder how many inside deals there are.

•••
.mobi

With the biggest industry players involved, .mobi has that "twist" that will make it marketable just by its own concept. It'll take time before its widely used, but by bet is its gonna be worth it

•••
where is the place that you can get the .mobi's on the premium list by going to the auctions

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back