Dynadot

Recommend A Domain Name Registrar

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Firmjudge

Established Member
Impact
Hello.
Please kindly advise me on the best domain name registrar to use as i am praparing to start domain name business.

I have read some scary but also good things about Godaddy.

Kindly advise on the best domain registrar you will recommend which also gives discount just like godaddy but with no underlaying shady T&C.
Thank you..

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Namesilo.com

Best security hands down. 2 Factor authentication + personal security questions. Free whois privacy.
Not much in the way of discount coupons, but reg and renewals cheap compared to other registrars.

•••
•••
•••
Who knows about Gandi.net.?

•••
If you don't give up right away, you'll soon have an account with more than one registrar (because discounts, ease of the intra-registrar push etc.) so you might as well use more than one registrar right of the bat.

Something to consider:

- GoDaddy: Kinda must-have because everybody (i.e. end users) knows it. Also, cheapest for .COM hand reg's (w/ coupon codes). Also, popular expired domains auctions.
- NameCheap: A lot of different kinds of discount campaigns throughout the year.
- Dynadot: Probably my favorite when it comes to UX. Great chat support, too.
- NameSilo: @Robozy already mentioned this, agree w/ everything he said.

There's horror stories with every registrar because domain industry is what it is.

P.s. Try to avoid 1 & 1.

•••
GoDaddy to avoid high hand registration costs with coupons as well as their expansive auction selection.

Once you have a decent portfolio built, slowly transfer them into Uniregistry.

Though, it's always good to have an account at all registrars so that you can easily make a purchase from another domainer. After which, you can consolidate to your favorite.

•••
•••
Namesilo because I don't have time to waste hunting for coupon codes.

•••
I use namecheap and like you, I heard bad things about godaddy, so I avoided registering domains with them, but those coupon codes for handregs are so nice.

Namecheap has good security too.

Thank you all for listing some more registries, I will have to try out namesilo.

•••
•••
Thank you all please keep the suggestions coming i will take my time to study all registrars and select 4 to fully register with.

Bump.

•••
I like Name.com, Namecheap and Godaddy.

BTW beware Uniregistry.

•••
•••
•••
I had a few issues with them.

Any chance you could post some details so that others know what to potentially be aware of?

I have a couple hundred names there and haven't had any problems.

•••
Beware with Namesilo.
A couple of years ago they started, and they published that their renewals WOULD BE DIFFERENT THEN OTHER REGISTRARS => THEY SAID THE FEE WOULD BE THE SAME as their registrationfees, TOTALLY DIFFERENT THEN OTHER REGISTRARS what they proofed by showing prices on their webpage with comparisons.
I could buy dotmobi's at 7.98 and indeed renewal at 7.98. However, by the time they had to be renewed, they had already changed the renewalrate for dotmobis to 13.99 or so. (and the normal rate stayed 7.98) I have sent them a big complaint about that. They wrote they would loose at the rate 7.98.
I was furious, lost 2 interesting domains, and the only thing they were concerned about is that they would loose money if they did what they promised in the beginning. They weren't interested in what they had promised at all. They would have lost some money, yes, but I especially changed from registrar because of what they promised in the beginning. I don't trust them any more since. Always be very vigilant to registrars you can't reach by phone.

It may be so they may have betterred since then. But be carefull.

•••
•••
@RU - GoDaddy is unable to process payments with PayPal when you use a coupon. ;)

•••
Thanks for the clarification RU.

IMO, not accepting BTC or PayPal is something to be aware of, but not exactly something I that would make you "beware" of a registrar. I thought you were implying they were doing something shady or illicit.

•••
I was able to use PayPal to successfully register a .com about an hour ago at Uniregistry. There may have been a hiccup or something when you tried.

•••
@David Walker I never had similar issues before.

Uniregistry's support responded to my ticket:
This may be a result of the transaction being blocked by your bank. We've seen this happen with some banks who become suspicious of transactions made online and/or from international locations.

I suggest you contact PayPal and/or your bank to inquire further why the transactions are not being approved.

...our location outside of the US and Europe sometimes raises red flags to banks and the customer is required to call and approve our status.

I understand you haven't had these issues before but those companies are likely located within the US or Europe. Unfortunately in this scenario, there isn't anything we can do unless you contact your bank to approve us and also provide us with photo ID matching the credentials of your credit card.
My Uniregistry experience - I wasted my time and missed nTLD domains (EAP).

Best,
RU

•••
Hello,

If I only used one registrar, I would choose GoDaddy (but only with their Discount Domain Club).

I also can recommend: Dynadot, Uniregistry, Namecheap.

•••
Godaddy Bigrock NameCheap Dotmakers (for multiple reasons. example: namecheap has easy bulk nameserver change, .io is cheapest there, etc. godaddy is the best for all reasons. just not aalways on pricing for certain names. bigrock runs deals on certain extensions always(or al) .org is cheapest there i believe always. Dotmakers because its like godaddys mainfram and easy to use(although i never reg'd there)
For new users, i wouldnt feel comfortable recommending anywhere except Godaddy. As you learn you will figure out why people use different ones.
oh by the way NEVER USE 1AND1 .COM - EVER - THEY NOT ONLY HAVE THE GD WORST NAME SERVER OR ANYTHING CHANGE(CANT BY BULK), THEIR SERVERS ARE SLOW AND THEY ARE SCAMS. (HAVE A ConsumersAffair report filed against them and it was approved, so obviously i wasnt far off base.) anyways, welcome to the world, im here if you need any help feelf ree to PM me.

Chris D.

•••
You should have Godaddy as others said, Uniregistry is a must have in my opinion. Support is great. You will end up having accounts with most registrars and that is a good thing since we know personally how each of the user experience is. You will get an idea after that as to which is the best one to have most of your names with.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back