IT.COM

strategy Pricing Strategy and Platforms

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

NamesMax

Top Member
Impact
Give me some ideas of pricing strategies used according to platforms.

I have generally listed my names on 4 platforms: Go Daddy Premium, Sedo, Afternic and Bido.

My strategy was to price my Go Daddy Premiums for the End User as theses buyers would be the ones trying to type in the registration. For Sedo and Afternic I would put my End User price as the Buy it Now with a make offer so I could still attract offers from resellers. End users on these platforms could make an offer but would have an idea of where I valued the name.

I always viewed Bido as and Reseller platform and listed my Buy It Now price there in the reseller price range.

I had a sale recently where an end user Google the name and the Bido auction was indexed. He went there and purchased the name via the Buy It Now which was dramatically lower than what I listed it on the other platforms. I am sure I left money on the table.

My Bido strategy now has to change due to the Google indexing.

I am now rethinking how I manage the selling prices of my names. Where I had been looking at a "Retail/Wholesale" type of pricing. I am thinking of only marketing it at "Retail" until I believe I have run out of options and only then discount it for possible reseller sales on all platforms.

How do others handle this?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I think it's a good strategy to have the same price across all platforms. As you've discovered :(

•••
I think it's a good strategy to have the same price across all platforms. As you've discovered :(

I just never figured an end user going to Bido. He never even knew about it until the google search called up the indexing of the Bido Auction. Live and learn.

Do you price out for end users and just allow other domainers find you via the whois?

•••

Actually, many domainers price differently to give buyers the illusion of getting a deal, much like perpetual sales.

•••
•••
When a deep-pocketed end user is looking for a specific domain, they will just type it in to the browser bar. This is why many platforms recommend you forward domains to their platform. The end user gets directed to their platform and they earn a commission which they really did little to earn.

I once had an end user inquire about a specific auto-related domain. The one they inquired about was making enough money in parking that I wasn't really concerned about selling it and told them that I wasn't really interested in selling it. At that point I had never sold a domain for my asking price so I figured they would not be willing to pay that much. I offered other auto-related domains I had that were cheaper but they were not interested. A few weeks later I receive a message from Godaddy that my premium listing had sold. Had I tried to sell that domain on a forum I might have gotten $50-$75 but it was one of my highest sales ever.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back