NameSilo

New TLDs will stop phishing "the banks are hoping"

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

999names

Account Closed
Impact
Banks try to sink scammers by spending 3.3 million dollars on the new extensions. Barclays CEO: "... companies likely will transfer online services to their new addresses slowly so they don't disrupt customers"

Does this mean banks will abandon .com(s)? "company isn't making its plans public yet" he said.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10000872396390444508504577593243972975650.html

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I don't think it will stop phishing emails being sent from masked addresses!

•••
•••
Yeah it won't stop it and they will have to spend a lot more money to educate the public that they don't go to www.<bankname>.com

•••
Hmmm I don't know dmp I hear many companies are trying to establish their businesses on their own tld. Let's hope they don't abandon .com. You are also correct as far as they can't stop it.

•••
I'm sure they are weighing the cost/time of making a change vs policing the .coms. My hunch is they will stick with .coms for 2012/2013, but keep studying the numbers until they see a definite advantage and determine that the world is ready for the change. Still too soon to call IMHO, but if the banks experiment and are successful making the switch, others will follow.

•••
Banks are extremely conservative. Do not expect them to take the lead.

(Unless you are selling high-profit mortgage securities that someone else will take the loss on.)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back