NameSilo

new gtlds New gTLDs are DEAD!! Frank Schilling drops 230,000 new gTLD domains

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

ksusha64

Top Member
Impact
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
i can never understand why frank shilling does not pop on here and say why..
he goes on Sherpa whats the difference most on this forum are his customers.
just stupid.

•••
newGTLs are like sirens for Ulysses.
If you listen its singing you'll die.
DON'T BUY NEW GTLDS!
I've lost money on them.
Nevermore.
Lesson learned.

•••
people lost money on 5L.com 6n.com 7 and 8 and so on hype its not just ngtlds
its across the board outside this forum most people are happy with just Facebook to run their business

•••
The outrageous registration fees of the premium names is what is killing the adoption of these new extensions. Once these fools figure that out then they will prosper and legacy extensions better watch out.

•••
have you thought it could have been the Domainers as well as the registerys what killed it buying lots of these newgtlds…..and left none for the normal guy in the street.
some website i have seen have 1000s for sale look at london.energy

•••
have you thought it could have been the Domainers as well as the registerys what killed it buying lots of these newgtlds…..and left none for the normal guy in the street.
some website i have seen have 1000s for sale look at london.energy

Insane pricing. Good luck selling in that range when in some cases the .coms are undeveloped/parked and in one case, not even registered. 40k gtld or a $9 .com hand reg. Which should I choose...

•••
One door close, another one opens.
A revolving door ?

So you're saying that your a pro because you joined in 2005 and anyone that joins NP, lets say 2014, 2015, 2016 is a con. Please, give me a break.

That's about the most arrogant remark I've read around here in quite some time.

Join dates mean nothing IMO...
What he's saying is way more subtle than that. Experienced members tend to be skeptical and even critics of new extensions. On the other hand the most outspoken supporters have 2015/2016 regdates. This is not by chance.

Many newbies think they know it all because they have been domaining for two weeks. But:
  1. They have little or no experience in selling names: if you have never even sold a .com how you be sure you're buying good names, how can you even be confident about investing in new extensions ?
  2. They have no historical awareness. They don't remember .mobi .tel .xxx .asia .etc because they weren't there. They blissfully ignore the experience of the past which remains relevant to this day.
So why are people surprised that new extensions are toxic investments ?

•••
The difference between a billion dollar idea and a failed idea is removing just one step in the process. If you can remove one step in any annoying process then you have the makings of a billion dollar startup.

The gTLDs are shorter and remove the one extra step it takes in adding an extension or remembering the extension. The problem is they got everything else wrong. They need to stop competing against each other and work together as a group. If they continue to promote themselves as individual companies then they will fail.

•••
The difference between a billion dollar idea and a failed idea is removing just one step in the process. If you can remove one step in any annoying process then you have the makings of a billion dollar startup.

The gTLDs are shorter and remove the one extra step it takes in adding an extension or remembering the extension. The problem is they got everything else wrong. They need to stop competing against each other and work together as a group. If they continue to promote themselves as individual companies then they will fail.
I thought they added an extra step by making you remember a new extension for every niche of domains.
instead of just using .com or your ccTLD for 90% of the domains you want to remember.
There is no annoying process there that they got rid of.

•••
New gtlds are not dead! .
.link .click .hiphop .diet ... are DEAD!!

•••
I thought they added an extra step by making you remember a new extension for every niche of domains.
instead of just using .com or your ccTLD for 90% of the domains you want to remember.
There is no annoying process there that they got rid of.
With some extensions the extra step was removed. Big.Media, Spark.Design, The.Agency, Cheap.Cars, etc....

These are all great names that remove the extension. Not all gTLDs are good but the ones that make sense together will be great names one day sooner than later.

•••
With some extensions the extra step was removed. Big.Media, Spark.Design, The.Agency, Cheap.Cars, etc....

These are all great names that remove the extension. Not all gTLDs are good but the ones that make sense together will be great names one day sooner than later.
Those few domain hacks can't support entire namespaces, can they?
And people still have to remember where the dot goes, but i guess ut doesn't matter for two words

•••
... Many newbies think they know it all because they have been domaining for two weeks. But:
  1. They have little or no experience in selling names: if you have never even sold a .com how you be sure you're buying good names, how can you even be confident about investing in new extensions ?
  2. They have no historical awareness. They don't remember .mobi .tel .xxx .asia .etc because they weren't there. They blissfully ignore the experience of the past which remains relevant to this day.
So why are people surprised that new extensions are toxic investments ?

Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.
George Santayana

Last edited:
•••
Those few domain hacks can't support entire namespaces, can they?
And people still have to remember where the dot goes, but i guess ut doesn't matter for two words
They don't have to support the entire namespace. The ones that don't make sense will weed themselves out over time and the best ones will rise to the top. There are many right of the dots that make absolute sense with the correct left of the dot. Those who have combined the dots in the wrong pattern will be the losers. I showed my kindergarten child where to put the dot between the two words. I then gave him examples of names and asked where to put the dot and every single time he got it right. Understanding the concept is the easy part.

In a few years when these type of names catch on then all you will have to do is tell people your name and not include the dot. It will just be understood where it goes. Check us out at Big Media is all you will have to say to someone and they will automatically go to Big.Media. Exactly how long it will take to adopt is still unknown but it will be adopted at some point in the near future.

A couple of years ago my Mother knew nothing about computers or the internet and now she sits on her couch with her tablet playing on Facebook and shopping on Amazon. Adoption takes far less time then we think.

•••

.com removes the extra step too because everyone knows it. People automatically assume that Name= Name.com

nGTLDs are 25 years too late to become the new standard.

There are still not enough around to have the versatility of .com

example: name.pros can not be created.

One word domains are impossible with the nGTLDs.

Wrongside

Last edited:
•••
They don't have to support the entire namespace. The ones that don't make sense will weed themselves out over time and the best ones will rise to the top. There are many right of the dots that make absolute sense with the correct left of the dot. Those who have combined the dots in the wrong pattern will be the losers. I showed my kindergarten child where to put the dot between the two words. I then gave him examples of names and asked where to put the dot and every single time he got it right. Understanding the concept is the easy part.

In a few years when these type of names catch on then all you will have to do is tell people your name and not include the dot. It will just be understood where it goes. Check us out at Big Media is all you will have to say to someone and they will automatically go to Big.Media. Exactly how long it will take to adopt is still unknown but it will be adopted at some point in the near future.

A couple of years ago my Mother knew nothing about computers or the internet and now she sits on her couch with her tablet playing on Facebook and shopping on Amazon. Adoption takes far less time then we think.
One day, your son is going to suggest new extension :)

•••
All you have to do is look at the join date and who's in the pro and con camp.
"All you have to do is look at the join date and Whois in the pro and con camp" what do you mean? I would suggest take a look at the whole picture, rather than part of the picture. Business school and street smart, might help you understand the overall business trend and the markets behavior.

•••
I sold two new gTLDs this week. Just as usual. :laugh:

Bought a few as well... :roll:

Last edited:
•••
I sold two new gTLDs this week as well. Just as usual. :laugh:

Bought a few as well... :roll:
You joined NP 2015? And you're selling names left and right of the dot! Keep it coming.

•••
i can never understand why frank shilling does not pop on here and say why..
he goes on Sherpa whats the difference most on this forum are his customers.
just stupid.
He does sometimes:

I'm positive there are too many threads on NamePros for him to know about all of them. He only replies when someone brings a thread to his attention, from what I can see. Email him the link to this thread, and he will chime in, I bet.

Then again, does he really have time to read pages and pages of posts? I don't know.

•••
I joined NP in less than a year and start my domain names collection in less than a year, so far in less than a year I had 5 offers all turned them down.

•••
.com removes the extra step too because everyone knows it. People automatically assume that Name= Name.com

nGTLDs are 25 years too late to become the new standard.

There are still not enough around to have the versatility of .com

example: name.pros can not be created.

One word domains are impossible with the nGTLDs.

Wrongside
There are so many companies on alternate extensions that you can't automatically assume it's on a .com.

•••
He does sometimes:

I'm positive there are too many threads on NamePros for him to know about all of them. He only replies when someone brings a thread to his attention, from what I can see. Email him the link to this thread, and he will chime in, I bet.

Then again, does he really have time to read pages and pages of posts? I don't know.
He can care less, he has money to burn; and he doesn't needs cry babies.

•••
Exactly how long it will take to adopt is still unknown but it will be adopted at some point in the near future.

Are you suggesting that existing domain owners wil move to the new GTLDs, or that as new sites come online they will use them in preference to .com and country code domains?

•••
There are so many companies on alternate extensions that you can't automatically assume it's on a .com.

there are no major sites on an extension other than .com for the sites that I visit. A few exceptions may exist but not many.

It's either ccTLD or .com for the most part.

You can't automatically assume that breaking down the Brand in two words and adding a dot between the two will work.

Many brands are one word brands. Some don't have a suitable extension available.

It doesn't make intuitive navigation easier, it complicates it. .com will still be the best.

Just add .com to the Brand and it should work out fine.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back