IT.COM

Network Solutions + Unethical go hand and hand.

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Here's the latest. Try and do a search for some random available name on their site. Make up anything, dkfhgkjhd.com etc etc.

Now go to Moniker or another registrar and attempt to register it.

Name will say unavailable. Wonder why? Because netsol has decided they want to hold that name hostage and force you to reg it at their site for $34.99.

Talk about sneaky, shady, and underhanded.

My advice would be to steer clear of Network Solutions when searching for available names.

Wonder how many other registrars are going to follow the lead.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
I wonder should I sent this info to google? :)

Registrant:
This Domain is available at NetworkSolutions.com
13681 Sunrise Valley Drive, Suite 300
HERNDON, VA 20171
US

Domain Name: GOOGLE-COME-AND-TRY-TO-SUE-US.COM

Administrative Contact, Technical Contact:
Network Solutions, LLC
13681 Sunrise Valley Drive, Suite 300
HERNDON, VA 20171
US
1-888-642-9675 fax: 571-434-4620

Record expires on 11-Jan-2009.
Record created on 11-Jan-2008.
Database last updated on 11-Jan-2008 09:47:12 EST.

Domain servers in listed order:

ns1.reserveddomainname.com 205.178.190.55
ns2.reserveddomainname.com 205.178.189.55

•••
Timmy11B said:

Many thanks for the link.

This quote seems interesting:

"Wade said the company was making adjustments in response to feedback but considered its measure a benefit for customers — by preventing domain name speculators and others with questionable intentions from grabbing the name first.

"We are not front running," she said. "We are not monetizing the page. We have no intent in keeping it. We have no intent in selling it in secondary markets at inflated prices — that is front running.""

Shouldn't she say "We are not monetizing the page ANY MORE"?

•••
A Turnaround.......

Network Solutions may change controversial domain-name policy

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9056778

Here is what NetSol is really saying now:
"Oops.... see, we made a little mistake.... um......um..... um....ya' see, we had hoped this did not make mainstream media, but, now that it has, which reaches our customers on TV, Newspapers, Internet News.... we would really like to reverse it now. Our intentions were wholly good, you understand.....right? But, we are still exploring making some money off this PR tragedy...... ya' see...."

•••
i never saw ads on the pages- there were ads?

they dont seem to see that there is a huge discrepancy in what they are saying- like it has been said many times- they claim it is to protect the client, yet anyone can go to netsol and buy the name-
there is NO protection and they will not fess up to that-

•••
smashfactory said:
-

They did not show any PPC Ads on their landing pages.

smashfactory said:
they dont seem to see that there is a huge discrepancy in what they are saying- like it has been said many times- they claim it is to protect the client, yet anyone can go to netsol and buy the name-
there is NO protection and they will not fess up to that-

They're squirming considering their only "semi-reasonable excuse" for doing what they did was to protect their clients.

Saying as there was a big list posted on a forum of all their clients "safe names" that were searched + Google indexed them all for the world to see with a big "this domain is for sale sign" what can they say. Their argument has some seriously BIG HOLES in it.

Will they admit it - nah, I doubt it - it's now the damage repair spin :hehe:

•••
Dave Zan said:
Heh, you'll need a lawyer for that.

However, no one's being cheated here in the sense that you're not getting the
service you're paying for. Heck, even that is potentially subjective.

Well basically I was referring to the fact that they essentially lock up the name and make it impossible for you to register it somewhere else. This seems rather anti-competitive to me. Not only does it prevent other registrars from competing for those customers/domain names, but it also prevents consumers from having a choice of supplier.

Obviously the PR is proving to be a very bad thing for them and perhaps they will change their policy. But I can't help feeling that other registrars should be taking legal action in order to protect their business and the interests of their customers as well.

It's one thing for the domain community to go up in arms and try to make the PR backlash hurt Netsol's wallet. I wouldn't expect less from the great people in this industry :) However, I guess I just expect a bit more from the registrars, then a harsh word.

•••
PowerUp said:
What Netsol is actually saying is this,

"...if ICANN would stop domain tasting, then we would be forced to end this process as well since WE also can no longer taste domains...."
Well, now you're potentially putting words in their mouth. Domain tasters have
generally put commercial parking pages on the domain names they've tasted,
which NetSol has never done.

I just tried a new test with their systems. It's in their holding account, but is
not showing anything.

Ronald Regging said:
Well basically I was referring to the fact that they essentially lock up the name and make it impossible for you to register it somewhere else. This seems rather anti-competitive to me. Not only does it prevent other registrars from competing for those customers/domain names, but it also prevents consumers from having a choice of supplier.
One question there, then, is why would one search the domain name through
NetSol, find it available, then try to register it through their preferred registrar
instead, since the latter is also capable of doing that? Aren't they confident?

If anything, it can prevent a user who might "coincidentally" think up the very
same name at another registrar another originally found available at NetSol's
site for about 120 hours. I don't know how likely that will happen, though, but
the domain name might be available by then.

It's just that many people want it now. :D

•••
smashfactory said:

They were full of ads.

Ads that are likely more profitable than PPC - ads for products by a company called Network Solutions.

The only thing that wasn't an ad as such (if memory serves) was a prominent anouncement that the domain can be registered at Network Solutions.

Now they've relented and no longer do that. They have also put a warning in the bottom right hand corner of their home page titled "New Protection Measures".

•••
Dave Zan said:
Domain tasters have

I just tried a new test with their systems. It's in their holding account, but is
not showing anything.
Agreed. But the name is now locked for 4-5 days and there is only one place to get it - or risk losing it to somebody else :yell:
Dave Zan said:
One question there, then, is why would one search the domain name through
NetSol, find it available, then try to register it through their preferred registrar
instead, since the latter is also capable of doing that? Aren't they confident?
At checkout some inexperienced people may realize that the netsol fees are grossly inflated so they may want to look for cheaper options elsewhere... and then - surprise :td:

No word from icann('t) yet.
With a toothless dog like that not surprising registrars are always pulling tricks out of their sleeves.

•••
it isnt going to take much for a script to be altered/written that these other guys use to see if a name is avail at netsol and not other registrars- i am sure it has already been wrote-
wont take much to run a report and see what names are now in the Netsol Hold- and grab them during the 4 day period-

stupid stupid stupid

•••
sdsinc said:
At checkout some inexperienced people may realize that the netsol fees are grossly inflated so they may want to look for cheaper options elsewhere... and then - surprise :td:
That's one possibility. Unfortunately they're unnecessarily expecting the name
they looked up to be available, which no registrar on earth can guarantee will
remain that way if they don't take it on the spot.

Then again, we'll probably never know how many are having that issue versus,
say, how many find this beneficial. Unless someone's willing to do a statistical
analysis. (I've mostly become sleepy back in my statistics classes...)

The name will be held up for 120 hours. It's just that some people can't wait,
which I don't necessarily blame them for.

•••
Dave Zan said:

Come on, don't you read the earlier threads? Netsol was splashing ads all over the page. They only took down the ads after the criticism from the domaining public. See? If they had no intention to profit from the PPC ads, they wouldn't have splashed any ads on the pages in the first place.

I agree with you that tasters generally put commercial parking pages on domain names, but it is not a requirement to domain tasting. One person could taste a domain simply by just putting up a "Hello World!" html index file and just analyze his Analytics or AW stats. While the first taster aims to see if he can get any PPC revenue, the second taster aims to see if there's any traffic and its traffic sources which he could then monetize using affiliate, Adsense or simply redirect to his other domains.

•••
PowerUp said:
Come on, don't you read the earlier threads? Netsol was splashing ads all over the page. They only took down the ads after the criticism from the domaining public. See? If they had no intention to profit from the PPC ads, they wouldn't have splashed any ads on the pages in the first place.

I agree with you that tasters generally put commercial parking pages on domain names, but it is not a requirement to domain tasting. One person could taste a domain simply by just putting up a "Hello World!" html index file and just analyze his Analytics or AW stats. While the first taster aims to see if he can get any PPC revenue, the second taster aims to see if there's any traffic and its traffic sources which he could then monetize using affiliate, Adsense or simply redirect to his other domains.
I read the previous posts of this thread before I joined the fray. I've explicitly
stated in my post above they've never put commercial parking pages.

I agree that putting commercial parking pages isn't a requirement for domain
tasting. But below is generally what domain tasting is:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domain_tasting

Domain tasting, is a practice of registrants using the five-day "grace period" at the beginning of a domain registration for ICANN-regulated generic top-level domains to test the marketability of a domain name. During this period, when a registration must be fully refunded by the domain registry, a cost-benefit analysis is conducted by the registrant on the viability of deriving income from advertisements being placed on the domain's web site.
Maybe someone oughta expand on the part I put in bold if what NetSol placed
originally in those domain names qualify as such. But isn't it tasters generally
put in commercial links of sorts to make money from advertisers, which NetSol
never showed on them at any time except their own?

The only option NetSol placed back then was to register the domain name at
their website and nothing more. So what's with all these claims of PPC pages
I saw here and other places?

I'm not necessarily defending NetSol here. But I ain't ready to join a lynch mob
just yet.

•••
•••
Ben42 said:
Maybe it's the few drinks I'e had, but this thread opens up a ball of worms for me with Netsol and snapnames.

An old thread I'd started
http://www.namepros.com/domain-name...public-auctions-parking.html?highlight=netsol

Netsol and snapnames are an evil empire in my mind and have been for YEARS. What can we do about it...nothing.
FYI, NetSol no longer turns over their expired domain names to SnapNames. I
really don't get why people think they're an evil empire out to take over the
whole wide world when no one's required to do business with them.

Another drink? :D

•••
I hate the behavior of NS.

•••
dear guys i checked qwertyuioppoiuy.com
and it still available on godaddy

don know !!!

thx

•••
OK... Network Solutions are now the proud owners of ten MicrosoftSucks*.com domains (replace the * with ten different expletives). Go NetSol! :yell:

•••
They're morons. The worst service, bad prices and f**kall attitude.

I had to talk to a stupid chick for 30 mins way back when to make her understand what the domain name was... with the kind of talk I should have sued them for racial discrimination.

And we all can get together and just sink them, do all crazy searches there... let's see them trying to explain away 1,000,000 names a day to ICANN. :laugh:

•••
•••
Dave Zan said:
FYI, NetSol no longer turns over their expired domain names to SnapNames. I
really don't get why people think they're an evil empire out to take over the
whole wide world when no one's required to do business with them.

Another drink? :D

When did you start domaining - this year?

You apparently know little about NetSol. Have you been reading for the last 10 years what they have been doing to domain owners?

Yes, you WERE required to do business with them up until about 2000 as there were no other registrars you could buy a .com, or any other extension. It was a Gov't sanctioned monopoly until the breakup.

And, today, if you you know nothing about domains and you simply do a search there for a domain, then, yes, you do have to do business with them if you don't want another person regging that name in the four day "domain reservation" period. You can't go to Godaddy and now do biz with them in this sitution.

They did nothing but PISS in the face of every domain owner and domainer for years and years.

There are only a couple, three other companies in the world I dislike as much as them.

I could tell you personal horror stories, as well as some from domainers I have knows since the mid 90's.

Evil Empire, Indeed ! Scum, scum, scum, scum, scum....... no other word for it.

•••
•••
Dave Zan said:

They may NOT have done it this time on "Tasted" / "Reserved" names ... But they sure as hell did it on EVERY unregistered .com/.net in 2003 ..... They wildcarded all unregistered names via their SiteSearch or whatever it was called - For those who don't remember. And the general fact they were trying to sell these domains to ANYONE who stumbled across the domain/page tells "Me" they were attempting to monetize the pages "IMO".

http://www.namepros.com/415767-network-solutions-unethical-go-hand-hand-post2447597.html

http://www.icann.org/topics/wildcard-history.html

No one mistook his post above as Netsols words ....

•••
I see they are still doing it - just searched on mackerswackers - was available - now only available at Netw*nkers

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back