IT.COM

discuss My 15 year old 1 Word Domain Expired

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I recently moved hosting services last month and had family sickness so have been side tracked and just realized before that my domain ... I have had for about 15 years expired on Nov 13. So Godaddy tell me that I will have to pay about $95 all up including $80 to get it back and $14 for renewal. That is around $140 AU and I really can't afford that right now. The Godaddy rep recommends i renew it as it's a "high value" domain/ I said I could bid on the Auction (currently at $16) but she said it would be months till it finishes and she expects it to get a good price. I'm going to just consider that sales talk and would like to ask the experts here if they think it's worth me paying nearly $150AU to renew it or not. It used to be my business name so I stlll get a lot of email going to it but I recently turned it into an affiliate jewelry store before my hosting changed and I was half way though developing it for the jewely store which i think suits it.

Once a domain expires this far does it still hold it's age value once I get it back or does it count now as a brand new domain with no age?

Should I renew it or or let it go?

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Yeah .. I wanted to give away a few expired domains to NP users and was also told that domains can't be transferred after they are expired (I'll admit I don't think I actually tried after being told it wasn't possible) ... wasn't the end of the world for me, but too bad for the other people who wanted the domains (and theoretically the loss of renewals for godaddy).

Anyhow .. more importantly @Joe Styler .. what is the specific conditions now (post dec 1st) for domains being locked if I simply change the email address or other registrant info? Do the domains get locked for 60 days?
yes do not change the registrant info.

•••
Transfer to another GD account .. but I didn't bother trying because I was told it wasn't possible after expiration .. because of that I didn't transfer .. because of that GD likely lost the renewal for the person I would have given it to. ;)

Anyhow .. they were old .mobi's .. so the people in question are likely better off without them .. lol

What I was asking @Joe Styler about was what is the current results of simply changing resistrant email or company name (etc) within the same account? He seems to know a little more than most at GD so I was hoping to hear it from the horses mouth so to speak .. lol. (I'm not 100% what the old results were, so asking both to know exactly what the results are AND to confirm whatever it is is in effect as of Dec 1st).
you can do an account push or change of account as we call it at GoDaddy which is GoDaddy customer account to another GoDaddy customer account or a transfer which is GoDaddy to not GoDaddy company. Two different ways to move a domain to someone else and as people have pointed out both have different rules around them which may be where the confusion is coming from.
If you want to update your WHOIS and then push a domain to another GoDaddy customer you are able to do this post Dec 1 changes by ICANN.

•••
So now that the domain has been secured what was it? Was I right? Was it "redemption.com"? lol

Thanks @Joe Styler .. so as of now (Dec 1) if I change whois info I can push to another gd account immidiately, but not transfer to another registrar for 60 days?

Does this include every data field in whois?

Can I also assume that in the rare case we really need to transfer (like if we sold a domain), we could call it in to our rep and they could manually unfreeze it?

•••
I still have 2 other domains that expired as well recently but are less important but I still would not mind getting them back , XXXXX.ORG exp 26/11/2016 and XXXXXX.COM exp 18/11/2016

what do you think I should do to transfer these out, I expect Godaddy to also have locked these to their service?
I have the auth codes and are unlocked but I expect they will have the admin email changed to godaddy as well.

Last edited:
•••
OK so the original issue was the whois email was not accessible because it was the same domain as the domain in question. The original whois of these domains was using an email that you have clear access to now, correct? So as shared above, you will have no issue transferring them out, because when you initiate transfer, the whois email will change back to the original whois email, not the gd support email.

The whois will change back if you want to transfer it out. All you need to do is follow the steps for transferring out expired domains l just put in the comment above.

It is not manual https://www.godaddy.com/help/get-an-authorization-code-to-transfer-expired-domains-19989 explains the process. If the names are expired there is a slightly different process. And you can always download it if you don't want to wait for the email. https://www.godaddy.com/help/get-authorization-code-via-download-19030

Elsewise, @Adam27 mentioned that Epik has no email required for transfers, maybe that is a better choice for you if you are worried about it. They have stellar customer service, you can set up account and then ask support for NamePros Domainers special pricing.

You still have to be quick about it though, based on your dates.

•••
Elsewise, @Adam27 mentioned that Epik has no email required for transfers, maybe that is a better choice for you if you are worried about it. They have stellar customer service, you can set up account and then ask support for NamePros Domainers special pricing.

I decided to try epic, mainly out of curiosity to see if they are as good as mentioned.... I will update on how it goes...

•••
So the expired domains seemed to have transferred to epic fine for the cost -$8+

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back