IT.COM

discuss My 15 year old 1 Word Domain Expired

NameSilo
Watch
Impact
I recently moved hosting services last month and had family sickness so have been side tracked and just realized before that my domain ... I have had for about 15 years expired on Nov 13. So Godaddy tell me that I will have to pay about $95 all up including $80 to get it back and $14 for renewal. That is around $140 AU and I really can't afford that right now. The Godaddy rep recommends i renew it as it's a "high value" domain/ I said I could bid on the Auction (currently at $16) but she said it would be months till it finishes and she expects it to get a good price. I'm going to just consider that sales talk and would like to ask the experts here if they think it's worth me paying nearly $150AU to renew it or not. It used to be my business name so I stlll get a lot of email going to it but I recently turned it into an affiliate jewelry store before my hosting changed and I was half way though developing it for the jewely store which i think suits it.

Once a domain expires this far does it still hold it's age value once I get it back or does it count now as a brand new domain with no age?

Should I renew it or or let it go?

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
This morning after the conversation here I tried to get the authorization codes of 4 of my expired domains to see if it was still working normal and not one was emailed to me. I tried 4 different times per domain and not one time did it work. This was before 9 am Arizona time which is where Godaddy is located. This afternoon I tried to get the auth code on those same 4 domains and they all came through within 10 minutes. I think when you request the codes not during Godaddy's regular business hours the system doesn't work. Maybe the codes have to be manually processed by an actual human during regular business hours.

Maybe @Joe Styler could chime in on this

I have had it during their hours, I request a code it never came, I request a second time and it came.

•••
The whois will change back if you want to transfer it out. All you need to do is follow the steps for transferring out expired domains l just put in the comment above.

Not according to your support team :

"yes you are able to transfer it there is no question about that and I do know the terms and conditions however the problem is your admin email. once the domain is expired does not matter what status it is on we are not able to edit its information anymore
what is the sense of it being expired if you will still be able to edit the contents"

"Okay, here's the thing. Technically your domains have expired, the only way to update the WHOIS database is when the domains are active.

As your domain registrar we are only responsible on sending you the Authorization Codes of these domains. The only way to update the contact information of your domains is when they're active as they are on the redemption status.
You may want to ask the receiving registrar if there is a way for them to send the codes they need to send to another email address.
If you dont want to pay for the renewal or redemption, you may wait for 80-85 days for the registry to drop this domains to be available publicly."

•••
you can transfer a domain out after expiration. I included a link to the article that shows you how to get the codes you need to do so and how to unlock the domain.

•••
you can transfer a domain out after expiration. I included a link to the article that shows you how to get the codes you need to do so and how to unlock the domain.

has anything changed since dec1.. as to deadlines for transferout of GD after expiry dates?
or its all same as before?

thanks

•••
I got the codes and unlocked the domain with no problem. I was referring to the admin email and how you mentioned that the whois will change back in case of transferring out.

•••
I got the codes and unlocked the domain with no problem. I was referring to the admin email and how you mentioned that the whois will change back in case of transferring out.
Yes it will change from GoDaddy info back to the original info that was on it before it expired.

•••
has anything changed since dec1.. as to deadlines for transferout of GD after expiry dates?
or its all same as before?

thanks
That has not changed dates at all.

•••
Yes it will change from GoDaddy info back to the original info that was on it before it expired.

Someone should tell your support team that since this is not what they're saying.

•••
Yeah .. I wanted to give away a few expired domains to NP users and was also told that domains can't be transferred after they are expired (I'll admit I don't think I actually tried after being told it wasn't possible) ... wasn't the end of the world for me, but too bad for the other people who wanted the domains (and theoretically the loss of renewals for godaddy).

Anyhow .. more importantly @Joe Styler .. what is the specific conditions now (post dec 1st) for domains being locked if I simply change the email address or other registrant info? Do the domains get locked for 60 days?

•••
Yeah .. I wanted to give away a few expired domains to NP users and was also told that domains can't be transferred after they are expired (I'll admit I don't think I actually tried after being told it wasn't possible) ... wasn't the end of the world for me, but too bad for the other people who wanted the domains (and theoretically the loss of renewals for godaddy).

Anyhow .. more importantly @Joe Styler .. what is the specific conditions now (post dec 1st) for domains being locked if I simply change the email address or other registrant info? Do the domains get locked for 60 days?

hmmm
u mean you wanted to push them to their gd accounts after expiry or transfer out?

cause transfwer out is obviously not a loss of renewals for gd.

as far as I knwo and Joe just confirmed, nothing changed for transfer out of expired dn after dec1. as for push after expiry.. well, the usual limits apply.. so I think you have about 10 days after epzxiry to push. so as long as they appear as actrive in your panel. cheers.

•••
well to update, yes Godaddy took control and in name.com the status shows the email as [email protected] plus name.com are been %^&$s as I made a ticket yesterday about the transfer and they are yet to reply to it. so I will now go ahead and just renew at godaddy.

•••
u mean you wanted to push them to their gd accounts after expiry or transfer out? cause transfwer out is obviously not a loss of renewals for gd.
Transfer to another GD account .. but I didn't bother trying because I was told it wasn't possible after expiration .. because of that I didn't transfer .. because of that GD likely lost the renewal for the person I would have given it to. ;)

Anyhow .. they were old .mobi's .. so the people in question are likely better off without them .. lol

What I was asking @Joe Styler about was what is the current results of simply changing resistrant email or company name (etc) within the same account? He seems to know a little more than most at GD so I was hoping to hear it from the horses mouth so to speak .. lol. (I'm not 100% what the old results were, so asking both to know exactly what the results are AND to confirm whatever it is is in effect as of Dec 1st).

•••
Transfer to another GD account .. but I didn't bother trying because I was told it wasn't possible after expiration .. because of that I didn't transfer .. because of that GD likely lost the renewal for the person I would have given it to. ;)

Anyhow .. they were old .mobi's .. so the people in question are likely better off without them .. lol

What I was asking @Joe Styler about was what is the current results of simply changing resistrant email or company name (etc) within the same account? He seems to know a little more than most at GD so I was hoping to hear it from the horses mouth so to speak .. lol. (I'm not 100% what the old results were, so asking both to know exactly what the results are AND to confirm whatever it is is in effect as of Dec 1st).

oh I see.
well.. another gd account = push
transfer is when it goes out of gd ;)

so yeah, u may wanna remember for future that gd lets you transfwer out at no fee for max 40 days aftr exp

and push aftr exp is good for about 10 days.. or as long as domain shows in your manager as active

cheers
ciao

•••
well to update, yes Godaddy took control and in name.com the status shows the email as [email protected] plus name.com are been %^&$s as I made a ticket yesterday about the transfer and they are yet to reply to it. so I will now go ahead and just renew at godaddy.

There is nothing Name.com can do. Just had the same problem when transferring to Namesilo. Spent around 5 hours chatting with GoDaddy support today but ended up transferring the name at the end. My domain expired the 30th of November.

•••

You can't push an expired domain to another godaddy account. You either have to pay the 80 bucks to keep it at godaddy or pay 8 bucks and transfer it to another registrar.

•••
You can't push an expired domain to another godaddy account. You either have to pay the 80 bucks to keep it at godaddy or pay 8 bucks and transfer it to another registrar.

far as I know you can push expired domain on gd for ~10 days. the time it sits in your copntrol panel after expiry.

transfer out is free. but of course you do pay at the new registrar, $8 or whatever. at least gd doesn't make you renew expired domain before you can transfer it out.. like namecheap or many others.

•••
well the good news is I managed to get godaddy to come tot he party and Kylie form GD got approval to pay half of the $80. The redemption fee is not enforced by them, it is from Icann.

screw name.com, they were very unhelpful when I needed them and after many years with them I will never use them again. Godaddy on the other hand have been very helpful even if It was a mixed bag on which rep you get but they were always available for instant chat. name.com on the other hand have just ignored all my pleas for a response even after 16 hours.

•••
far as I know you can push expired domain on gd for ~10 days. the time it sits in your copntrol panel after expiry.

transfer out is free. but of course you do pay at the new registrar, $8 or whatever. at least gd doesn't make you renew expired domain before you can transfer it out.. like namecheap or many others.
I was thinking way past expiration. I think your right about the 10 days.

•••
well the good news is I managed to get godaddy to come tot he party and Kylie form GD got approval to pay half of the $80. The redemption fee is not enforced by them, it is from Icann.

screw name.com, they were very unhelpful when I needed them and after many years with them I will never use them again. Godaddy on the other hand have been very helpful even if It was a mixed bag on which rep you get but they were always available for instant chat. name.com on the other hand have just ignored all my pleas for a response even after 16 hours.
At least it's not the $299 that Network Solutions charges. :)

•••
with Epik all you need is auth code, unlocked domain, and transfer happens
I will look into that as I have a couple of other domains that also expired

•••
I can usually get my names out of GD and into NameCheap.;com in about 45 minutes.
(That's if there isn't a problem with getting the auth codes...)

•••
The redemption fee is not enforced by them, it is from Icann.

This is not true ! If you can bid at domain auction, if your domain still resolves to something, and if whois does not clearly show "status : RedemptionPeriod" with an expiration date in the PAST, then your domain is actually not technically expired at ICANN (well actually it is but ICANN still allow to renew and transfer with no additionals fees during 45 days after expiration and domain with previous website could still resolve if GD was allowing this by not changing previous DNS) and the "redemption fees" will go straight to GD's pockets !

I bet your domain, technically, is in "Auto-Renew Grace Period" :
Check : icann.org/resources/pages/gtld-lifecycle-2012-02-25-en

Last edited:
•••
He renewed the domain from what I can tell, nothing left here..

•••
@onewordonly - I appreciate you sharing your saga and very happy you were able to recover your domain, in a somewhat reasonable manner.

I find threads like these very helpful to know what to expect and as a reminder to keep things updated. Much easier said than done when life happens and with multiple (too many) domains.

•••
they said I have to pay for redemption for it to be released as it is 33 days expired now and they said also must pay renewal fee. he wanted to push me into it but I'm in train and connection cut out haha. I'm sure that hacked him off

Who is "they". Not GoDaddy. You have 42 days to transfer away from GoDaddy. Push won't work. It's renew or transfer away.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back