Domain Empire

discuss My 15 year old 1 Word Domain Expired

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I recently moved hosting services last month and had family sickness so have been side tracked and just realized before that my domain ... I have had for about 15 years expired on Nov 13. So Godaddy tell me that I will have to pay about $95 all up including $80 to get it back and $14 for renewal. That is around $140 AU and I really can't afford that right now. The Godaddy rep recommends i renew it as it's a "high value" domain/ I said I could bid on the Auction (currently at $16) but she said it would be months till it finishes and she expects it to get a good price. I'm going to just consider that sales talk and would like to ask the experts here if they think it's worth me paying nearly $150AU to renew it or not. It used to be my business name so I stlll get a lot of email going to it but I recently turned it into an affiliate jewelry store before my hosting changed and I was half way though developing it for the jewely store which i think suits it.

Once a domain expires this far does it still hold it's age value once I get it back or does it count now as a brand new domain with no age?

Should I renew it or or let it go?

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I recently moved hosting services last month and had family sickness so have been side tracked and just realized before that my domain ... I have had for about 15 years expired on Nov 13. So Godaddy tell me that I will have to pay about $95 all up including $80 to get it back and $14 for renewal. That is around $140 AU and I really can't afford that right now. The Godaddy rep recommends i renew it as it's a "high value" domain/ I said I could bid on the Auction (currently at $16) but she said it would be months till it finishes and she expects it to get a good price. I'm going to just consider that sales talk and would like to ask the experts here if they think it's worth me paying nearly $150AU to renew it or not. It used to be my business name so I stlll get a lot of email going to it but I recently turned it into an affiliate jewelry store before my hosting changed and I was half way though developing it for the jewely store which i think suits it.

Once a domain expires this far does it still hold it's age value once I get it back or does it count now as a brand new domain with no age?

Should I renew it or or let it go?

Go to expired domains in domain manager, request the authcode and transfer it out to another registrar like Name.com for $8.25. Unlock the domain after you get the authorization code.

•••
This all sounds like a ploy to get people interested in the name, which is why it was included in the thread. All of the rest of this banter is staging.

There is no way that this is 'real life'.

In the spirit of actually answering 'the question', yes renew your domain because it's worth much more than your renewal costs.

•••
•••
Well, since you mentioned it in your post... I'd recommend renewing it instead of bidding in auction because people reading this thread might bid on it and drive the price up: that's if you really still want it.

Edit your post if you can and remove the name... I'll say if you intend to own it, pay the $95.

To answer your question: the registration date will be intact as it will not drop as it already has a bidder(s).

Last edited:
•••
Transferring out only works within a certain timeframe-having the Auth code ys won't be sufficient, and if he really wants the name he will need to pay the fee. Godaddy has made some changes to this as I understand.
I don't think the timeframe has changed. As recently as about one week ago I transferred a name out on day 41 and the process took less than 2 hours start to finish.

•••
Yes, edit your post and get rid of the name
Plus, It is only $88 to renew when the name is in redemption, at least here in the US. Make sure you have your figures right, hopefully it is only $88.
I've had to do this a few times, good luck friend.

•••
If you don't mind someone possibly taking the domain in auction, don't pay the $95 fee and try and go for it, but don't be sad if you lose.

It will probably go higher than $95 in auction if companies like HugeDomains go after it themselves.

Last edited:
•••
I Will drop it.. :D..
Yes sir, pay and renew you can't lost it.
I am watching Your domain from days..And i am not the only guy looking For it..

Last edited:
•••
•••
LOL Nope, not the sharpest, never claimed to be. LOL

In the past I have unsuccessfully tried to transfer names in redemption out of godaddy. I think it was because I could not get the auth code (registrant email changes after domain expires) or unlock the name, or both. It's been quite a while since I've tried so maybe things have changed.

For me, if I have a valuable domain in redemption I'm getting it out as quickly and easily as possible. I don't think trying to win the auction is a good route, perhaps it will be the cheapest way but definitely a gamble.
PM me if you would like and I'll walk you through the process to transfer.

•••
renew it
learn
don't cry

its called
stupidity fee

•••
I hope you will be able to transfer-out your domain. I've been able to do what has been described in this thread in the past but I've also seen recent changes from GoDaddy in order to prevent domains owners to keep control of their "expiring" domains. Maybe you can check whois in order to see if your email still appears ... if it is not, then this is a shame for GD but, sadly, they are not the first to act like this. Please note : if your whois email is the form <whatever>@expireddomainyouaretalkingabout.com, then you'll not receive any email since DNS have been changed by GoDaddy.
Anyway I hate when registrars takes over domains which are actually not technically expired.

In case your whois email has been changed by GoDaddy and if GD doesn't accept to either forward the name.com transfer email, either to put back your email address in whois, then maybe you can search & use a registrar which is actually not sending transfer emails in order to start a transfer. ICANN does not allow this but I know that some rare registrars do such thing. Don't remember which ones.
The whois will change back if you want to transfer it out. All you need to do is follow the steps for transferring out expired domains l just put in the comment above.

•••
You can't push an expired domain to another godaddy account. You either have to pay the 80 bucks to keep it at godaddy or pay 8 bucks and transfer it to another registrar.

far as I know you can push expired domain on gd for ~10 days. the time it sits in your copntrol panel after expiry.

transfer out is free. but of course you do pay at the new registrar, $8 or whatever. at least gd doesn't make you renew expired domain before you can transfer it out.. like namecheap or many others.

•••
Sounds like you need to renew this ASAP.... Don't hesitate. Secure it and be done with it.

•••
its not my business name anymore but yeah I would like to still sort my email out. I'm renewing it now but I'm currently going through tough times so its not money I have to spare

Get godaddy back on the phone before you checkout, they should give you a discount if it's your first time pulling a domain out of redemption - you need to ask them though. Hope things start looking up for you.

•••
One-word .Com domains which actually mean something of commercial value are extremely difficult to come by in 2016. It is highly unlikely an auction of a 15-year old short .Com will escape unnoticed.

•••
Transfer the domain to my GD account and I'll pay the fee's to renew it if it's not to late. We can then try and sell it and I'll take a commission.

PM me, I'll help you out if you are serious.. :)

Last edited:
•••
After XX days, GoDaddy sometimes changes the administrative e-mail of expired names to something like redemptionATgodaddy.com so it becomes impossible to respond to the transfer request from the other registrar and complete the transfer.

•••
This morning after the conversation here I tried to get the authorization codes of 4 of my expired domains to see if it was still working normal and not one was emailed to me. I tried 4 different times per domain and not one time did it work. This was before 9 am Arizona time which is where Godaddy is located. This afternoon I tried to get the auth code on those same 4 domains and they all came through within 10 minutes. I think when you request the codes not during Godaddy's regular business hours the system doesn't work. Maybe the codes have to be manually processed by an actual human during regular business hours.

Maybe @Joe Styler could chime in on this

I have had it during their hours, I request a code it never came, I request a second time and it came.

•••
@onewordonly - I appreciate you sharing your saga and very happy you were able to recover your domain, in a somewhat reasonable manner.

I find threads like these very helpful to know what to expect and as a reminder to keep things updated. Much easier said than done when life happens and with multiple (too many) domains.

•••
they said I have to pay for redemption for it to be released as it is 33 days expired now and they said also must pay renewal fee. he wanted to push me into it but I'm in train and connection cut out haha. I'm sure that hacked him off

Who is "they". Not GoDaddy. You have 42 days to transfer away from GoDaddy. Push won't work. It's renew or transfer away.

•••
OK so the original issue was the whois email was not accessible because it was the same domain as the domain in question. The original whois of these domains was using an email that you have clear access to now, correct? So as shared above, you will have no issue transferring them out, because when you initiate transfer, the whois email will change back to the original whois email, not the gd support email.

The whois will change back if you want to transfer it out. All you need to do is follow the steps for transferring out expired domains l just put in the comment above.

It is not manual https://www.godaddy.com/help/get-an-authorization-code-to-transfer-expired-domains-19989 explains the process. If the names are expired there is a slightly different process. And you can always download it if you don't want to wait for the email. https://www.godaddy.com/help/get-authorization-code-via-download-19030

Elsewise, @Adam27 mentioned that Epik has no email required for transfers, maybe that is a better choice for you if you are worried about it. They have stellar customer service, you can set up account and then ask support for NamePros Domainers special pricing.

You still have to be quick about it though, based on your dates.

•••
Yes Equity may have the ticket there.
If the name can be unlocked still, you can get the Authorization code and simplytransfer it out for under $10.

Last edited:
•••
it can be unlocked but I get a message if I try to do anything else like get auth code to say these features are not available. I'm chatting with godaddy now to ask them, I already have the auth code anyway

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back