IT.COM

discuss My 15 year old 1 Word Domain Expired

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I recently moved hosting services last month and had family sickness so have been side tracked and just realized before that my domain ... I have had for about 15 years expired on Nov 13. So Godaddy tell me that I will have to pay about $95 all up including $80 to get it back and $14 for renewal. That is around $140 AU and I really can't afford that right now. The Godaddy rep recommends i renew it as it's a "high value" domain/ I said I could bid on the Auction (currently at $16) but she said it would be months till it finishes and she expects it to get a good price. I'm going to just consider that sales talk and would like to ask the experts here if they think it's worth me paying nearly $150AU to renew it or not. It used to be my business name so I stlll get a lot of email going to it but I recently turned it into an affiliate jewelry store before my hosting changed and I was half way though developing it for the jewely store which i think suits it.

Once a domain expires this far does it still hold it's age value once I get it back or does it count now as a brand new domain with no age?

Should I renew it or or let it go?

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Well, since you mentioned it in your post... I'd recommend renewing it instead of bidding in auction because people reading this thread might bid on it and drive the price up: that's if you really still want it.

Edit your post if you can and remove the name... I'll say if you intend to own it, pay the $95.

To answer your question: the registration date will be intact as it will not drop as it already has a bidder(s).

Last edited:
•••
Yes, edit your post and get rid of the name
Plus, It is only $88 to renew when the name is in redemption, at least here in the US. Make sure you have your figures right, hopefully it is only $88.
I've had to do this a few times, good luck friend.

•••
I Will drop it.. :D..
Yes sir, pay and renew you can't lost it.
I am watching Your domain from days..And i am not the only guy looking For it..

Last edited:
•••
If you don't mind someone possibly taking the domain in auction, don't pay the $95 fee and try and go for it, but don't be sad if you lose.

It will probably go higher than $95 in auction if companies like HugeDomains go after it themselves.

Last edited:
•••
Ok, I edited it but godaddy said I have about a week to make my mind up anyway . would you guys have a rough idea on the price it could be worth? I really don't need the domain anymore so i would really just be renewing it for it's value.

•••
Sounds like you need to renew this ASAP.... Don't hesitate. Secure it and be done with it.

•••
I recently moved hosting services last month and had family sickness so have been side tracked and just realized before that my domain ... I have had for about 15 years expired on Nov 13. So Godaddy tell me that I will have to pay about $95 all up including $80 to get it back and $14 for renewal. That is around $140 AU and I really can't afford that right now. The Godaddy rep recommends i renew it as it's a "high value" domain/ I said I could bid on the Auction (currently at $16) but she said it would be months till it finishes and she expects it to get a good price. I'm going to just consider that sales talk and would like to ask the experts here if they think it's worth me paying nearly $150AU to renew it or not. It used to be my business name so I stlll get a lot of email going to it but I recently turned it into an affiliate jewelry store before my hosting changed and I was half way though developing it for the jewely store which i think suits it.

Once a domain expires this far does it still hold it's age value once I get it back or does it count now as a brand new domain with no age?

Should I renew it or or let it go?

Go to expired domains in domain manager, request the authcode and transfer it out to another registrar like Name.com for $8.25. Unlock the domain after you get the authorization code.

•••
Yes Equity may have the ticket there.
If the name can be unlocked still, you can get the Authorization code and simplytransfer it out for under $10.

Last edited:
•••
Transfer out and save money. Someone told me he recently transferred a domain at Godaddy auction and that means it is possible to transfer the domain name out of Godaddy which will cost you just $8-10 to achieve. Good luck

•••
It all depends upon the number of days it is past expiration.
If you can unlock it you can transfer it.
Do you know how to check to see if domain is locked?

•••
it can be unlocked but I get a message if I try to do anything else like get auth code to say these features are not available. I'm chatting with godaddy now to ask them, I already have the auth code anyway

•••
Go to expired domains in domain manager, request the authcode and transfer it out to another registrar. Unlock the domain after you get the authorization code.

https://www.namepros.com/threads/transferring-expired-domains-from-godaddy.696248/

@stub

GD support page

If your domain name has expired, you can still transfer it to another registrar during the renewal grace period.

If your expired domain has Private Registration enabled, you will not be able to transfer it. Privacy cannot be removed from an expired domain.

Epik has $8.10 .com transfer/regs/renewals. :)

Last edited:
•••
they said I have to pay for redemption for it to be released as it is 33 days expired now and they said also must pay renewal fee. he wanted to push me into it but I'm in train and connection cut out haha. I'm sure that hacked him off

•••
How is your business name not worth 140 AUD? Baffling!

You still get business emails there you say.. So could missing one of those cost you more than 140 AUD?

•••
its not my business name anymore but yeah I would like to still sort my email out. I'm renewing it now but I'm currently going through tough times so its not money I have to spare

•••
If I were you I would stop screwing around and pay the redemption if you don't want to lose the name... Transferring it could still work but that is risky too.

•••
its not my business name anymore but yeah I would like to still sort my email out. I'm renewing it now but I'm currently going through tough times so its not money I have to spare

Get godaddy back on the phone before you checkout, they should give you a discount if it's your first time pulling a domain out of redemption - you need to ask them though. Hope things start looking up for you.

•••
It doesn't matter what they say, I've had at least 3 GD reps tell me it is impossible to transfer when all it took was unlocking and getitng code. Either they don't know it or they are trained to purposefully not tell you.
If you have the code, you can transfer it.

•••
Please don't give godaddy more money than necessary!!!!

Have you simply tried transferring? You have the Auth code and everything.

•••
LOL

Not the sharpest tool in the shed are ya?

Silly retarded to straight away pay the Redemption fee when he can bid up to the Redemption fee amount (if auction has not completed) - hopefully paying less than $80 if he wins.

If he loses the auction, he can still pay $80 maximum (ie Redemption fee), a day after the auction finishes

Of course, this is after trying to t/f out first

If I were you I would stop screwing around and pay the redemption if you don't want to lose the name... Transferring it could still work but that is risky too.

Last edited:
•••
the above is not smart, imo. There is no guarantee that you will win through auction when right now at this second you can secure your name by transferring out or redemption purchase.

•••
You're smart enough to ask for advice, now take it and go transfer out if you can.

•••
It's a super simple process to transfer it out. Go into your domain manager and in the upper left hand corner under the godaddy logo select domains>expired domains once there click on the domain and then click unlock after that click on email authorization code. After they email the code go to Name.com and select Transfer and pay $8.25 they then they send you an email to authorize the transfer and follow the instructions. Normally takes less than a couple hours. Super easy process to do.

•••
LOL

The most he will pay is $80 either way with a chance of paying less

If he wins auction he might pay less than $80 (max bid of $80)
If he loses auction, he can pay still pay $80 redemption fee one day after the auction

Anyway, since he's already disclosed the name, the auction winning bid will likely be higher than $80

the above is not smart, imo. There is no guarantee that you will win through auction when right now at this second you can secure your name by transferring out or redemption purchase.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back