Domain Empire

new gtlds Mike Mann: “Read my lips gTLDs are D*E*A*D, absolutely no demand!”

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Mike Mann shared on Facebook my article about the bad landrush phase that .Blog domains had last week and also shared his views on the New gTLDs in general:
Read my lips gTLDs are D*E*A*D, absolutely no demand! This was the best out of thousands, along with .web and .app Better luck with other snake oil. .Com stays king. If you also voted for Hillary, rough week. TYVMI.
He also made several other comments about new extensions such as:
How about don’t but them at all, they serve no purpose and cause many problems, and waste a lot of time and money.
Now that everyone knows gTLDs are dead, please Google “Mike Mann gTLDs” and you will see I hit the predictions spot on.
He continued by quoting my article:
Ruggh ruoggh, too many scooby snacks: “So the .blog registry made more than $150,000 from the landrush phase. That doesn’t seem bad but the registry spent $19 million to get rights for the .blog new extension.” Not counting millions per year of overhead. Lesson learned, listen to the mann next time and stick with .Com
He then made more comments like:
“Don't renew your fancy new gtld domains. The experiment is over. No material resale market will take root.”
Mike replied to a comment made by Phil Harris
26 million registered and new sites being launched daily .. X.company being used by Google , Rightside stock just raised to buy status by zachs investment firm .. Awareness growing , secondary 6 figure sales being made , Mike I would say you should watch the movie God is not dead ..
by saying
sure sounds like a bubble

Mike today talked about Google and .soy:
Google spent some energy telling me how ".soy" domain extension was going to be the next big thing a while back, I tried to splain what was up….. Not to discount the fine folks, fancy offices, and great buffet. Googs, gimme a buzz, I’m still a know it all.
Drinking own Koolaid instead of listening to grassroots in the streets
Technically I havent checked the sales numbers but lets take a wild guess, dramatically lower than their expenses…….. like I told them nicely before they invested

Konstantinos Zournas November 14, 2016
http://onlinedomain.com/2016/11/14/...nn-read-lips-gtlds-dead-absolutely-no-demand/

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
One day, someone said cars would never replace horses.

•••
(this is my personal opinion) - I have a lot of respect for entrepreneurs that have been in the industry as long as Mike and Rick have. However, as some have pointed out already, they built their empire primarily on .com.

Their public portfolios' confirm that. This means that their primary business model is based on promoting and converting their .com assets, which tends to make their public opinion slightly bias since it would effect their businesses to do otherwise.

It's a smart move on their part. That's in business promotion practices 101. Solid strategy!

New gTLD's may not have much value today, however, the more companies that brand with them and launch mainstream advertising campaigns, the more popular and adaptable they will become.

It's natural to fear change in all aspects of life. Humans get comfortable the way things are and tend to rebel against it.

The realty is that when businesses don't adapt to change, they end up left behind (eventually). Change should be embraced as technology, business platforms, and even domains advance into the future.

Eventually, everything changes and nothing lasts forever. That's a Cold, hard, fact! History proves it through advancements.

At the end of the day, one should keep an open mind and do their own research.

I'm not saying New gTLD's will have more value tomorrow, next year, or even in 5 years, but I am saying that it's inevitable. Eventually, with enough mainstream exposure, they will.

Embrace change!

Happy business building.
The theory makes sense. . . But gltds are going to be dead, not because of Mann or lack of exposure. . . It's because they cost between 30 to 100 to reggae or renew. But a .com only costs 1 -15. . .

•••
anybody who wants my .mobi , .tel , .ws , .biz

is welcome to make a generous offer (above $1 USD please)

as said here:
its inevitable that they will become valuable

(if just google would use them)

Last edited:
•••
Once you see a message that tells you “Unfortunately, 2 years is the maximum amount of years for which a domain name can be registered”, it's the end and you know what that means.

The price is subject to the laws of supply and demand which can lead to wide price ranges. In the beginning .com was $100, now $7.60 = 20 years travel time. In early 1998 before I made my first investment, I knew someone who takes a 1mil loan and invested everything in domain names. What I learned is "every person is different and every domain name is different". The differences between the two visions is the price people pay for domain name, more divided; less money, more close; more money.

In the end, spreading "unrealistic expectations" are bad for everybody. Pro or against, who cares, buy .com, .net, .org, ... .whatever if you can sell, that's it. Stop crying! It's about selling Something Dot Something. What is the best? Study everything that moves around. Absolutely everything. Don't rush, take a time, think, think again. Don't go buying when you're hungry and you don't have a end-user on horizon. Take a time and lower the risk.

None of .whatever will show up in cemetery soon (minimum lifespan is 25 years). Planning for a second wave of new gTLDs is underway.

Simple as that.

Last edited:
•••
... However, as some have pointed out already, they built their empire primarily on .com.

Their public portfolios' confirm that. This means that their primary business model is based on promoting and converting their .com assets, which tends to make their public opinion slightly bias since it would effect their businesses to do otherwise.

It's a smart move on their part. That's in business promotion practices 101. Solid strategy!

I can't agree.
These guys really don't need to promote .com as such.

They could easily invest into new tlds, if they wished.

Mike Mann‏ @mikemanndotcom 10h10 hours ago
2012: Silver: "What will happen to the money domain investors spend on gTLDs?" Mann: "They will lose most of it"

Rick Schwartz‏Verified account @DomainKing May 20
It's hard enough to sell GOOD .Com #domains. Why compound it with unknown extensions selling for only a fraction when they do sell? #GTLD

I plan 2 drop ALL my premium .whatevers in 2017. Ones I paid TENS of thousands of $$ for. $500k loss. Tax benefit. is ONLY value. #Domains

7 years ago I registered about 50 .co #Domains. Including NNN ones. Have not had a single offer! Same with .xxx. Not a single offer. #GTLD

•••
They could easily invest into new tlds, if they wished.
I'm sure they already are. But what reason would they have to tell anyone? Investors usually keep their best assets a close guarded secret.

•••
--
Investors usually

Spend some time learning more about investors who invest money in registries and registries hold the key for platinum and premium .whatever

You are in coal mining business until you decide to change your strategy and start contemplating about the horse eating grass in a field. Every now and then, your fields need rejuvenating e.g. change the subject (industry, niche, end-users filed).

Do it!

b.t.w.
"Traditional" domain extension .com don't express a personal vision. Only business oriented vision. Think about before spiting out whatever you drinking now! ILoveMyHorse.com is for Commerce. ILoveMy.Horse - this is my personal domain and please, keep walking if you don't like it. Not everyone is on board.

Last edited:
•••
None of .whatever will show up in cemetery soon (minimum lifespan is 25 years). Planning for a second wave of new gTLDs is underway.
3 years.

•••
(this is my personal opinion) - I have a lot of respect for entrepreneurs that have been in the industry as long as Mike and Rick have. However, as some have pointed out already, they built their empire primarily on .com.

New gTLD's may not have much value today, however, the more companies that brand with them and launch mainstream advertising campaigns, the more popular and adaptable they will become.

It's natural to fear change in all aspects of life. Humans get comfortable the way things are and tend to rebel against it.

The realty is that when businesses don't adapt to change, they end up left behind (eventually). Change should be embraced as technology, business platforms, and even domains advance into the future.

Eventually, everything changes and nothing lasts forever. That's a Cold, hard, fact! History proves it through advancements.

At the end of the day, one should keep an open mind and do their own research.

I'm not saying New gTLD's will have more value tomorrow, next year, or even in 5 years, but I am saying that it's inevitable. Eventually, with enough mainstream exposure, they will.

Embrace change!

Happy business building.

Is that a NamePros move? Since new gtlds get a lot of posting. Post count skyrocketed once new gtlds came on the scene. Those people actually are domainers too.

And this part:
"I'm not saying New gTLD's will have more value tomorrow, next year, or even in 5 years, but I am saying that it's inevitable. Eventually, with enough mainstream exposure, they will."

We've had plenty of conversations on that. How to niche extensions get exposure with low regs and even lower development? And then the general ones are horrible. And reg numbers are dropping.

Last edited:
•••
•••
One day, someone said cars would never replace horses.

And that's a ridiculous comment, even more ridiculous that it got likes.

Who said that? It's an advancement for most, new gltds aren't.

A comment from a "new gtld consultant"

"New gTLDs "only"

Last edited:
•••
And reg numbers are dropping.

How many .com's hanging in the air? 60-70mil , Q4 2016 was bad for Verisign , so we have $1 .com for 37 days. .Net dropped, so we have a huge discount. Every bloody registry play the same role. Wait for the Verisign to get hands free on .com

•••
How many .com's hanging in the air? 60-70mil , Q4 2016 was bad for Verisign , so we have $1 .com for 37 days. .Net dropped, so we have a huge discount. Every bloody registry play the same role. Wait for the Verisign to get hands free on .com

.com - 127 million and has been growing over time

all the new gtlds together - 27 million and dropping

•••
•••
Is that a NamePros move? Since new gtlds get a lot of posting. Post count skyrocketed once new gtlds came on the scene. Those people actually are domainers too.

And this part:
"I'm not saying New gTLD's will have more value tomorrow, next year, or even in 5 years, but I am saying that it's inevitable. Eventually, with enough mainstream exposure, they will."

We've had plenty of conversations on that. How to niche extensions get exposure with low regs and even lower development? And then the general ones are horrible. And reg numbers are dropping.
(this is my personal opinion)

•••

You seriously don't know he's the admin of Namepros?

New gltds have been a boon for Namepros, Captain Obvious type stuff. If you charted post count by year, I would imagine you would see a spike when new gtlds came on the scene. If I had a domain forum, I would be happy about this too.

Last edited:
•••
You seriously don't know he's the admin of Namepros?
So what? Can`t he have ideas?

He is also a domainer.

Why does it bothers you?

He might not even investing on new gTLDs, but just speaking the truths.

You comment on every new gTLD related posts and thats okay, yet you don`t own a single gTLD and demarketing it in each thread. Why?

All your portfolio consist of dot COM`s which is also okay.

That is a reasonable motto to spend most of your time on new gTLD area.

Right?

Edit:

Or you just care about others not to lose money ( in your theory ) ?

I don`t think so, you want to sell your domains in the aftermarket.

Last edited:
•••
So what? Can`t he have ideas?

He is also a domainer.

Why does it bothers you?

He might not even investing on new gTLDs, but just speaking the truths.

You comment on every new gTLD related posts and thats okay, yet you don`t own a single gTLD and demarketing it in each thread. Why?

All your portfolio consist of dot COM`s which is also okay.

That is a reasonable motto to spend most of your time on new gTLD area.

It doesn't bother me, your post was just rather naive. I understand it's a business and new gtlds are good for business. Even tho I think he understands the business better than most and gives some of the best appraisals, he's not a domainer. He's posted about that before.

Last edited:
•••
As far as:

"However, as some have pointed out already, they built their empire primarily on .com."

Right, because that's where the money is for domainers. Some of them have ventured into new gtlds as well, somebody just posted about Rick's tweet about how much money he's lost on new gtlds. They're investors. Their money can be spent on any extension. If they felt there was profit to be made, it would go there.

Rick
"I plan 2 drop ALL my premium .whatevers in 2017. Ones I paid TENS of thousands of $$ for. $500k loss. Tax benefit. is ONLY value."

And other big time domainers, who have mostly .coms, ventured into new gltds as well. And they probably have a lot more money than most, so they can get better new gtlds than most here.

Last edited:
•••
As far as:

"However, as some have pointed out already, they built their empire primarily on .com."

Right, because that's where the money is for domainers. Some of them have ventured into new gtlds as well, somebody just posted about Rick's tweet about how much money he's lost on new gtlds. They're investors. Their money can be spent on any extension. If they felt there was profit to be made, it would go there.
The industry is not driven by the sellers but the buyers. Rick or Mann doesn`t really matter what they say or what they do, yet they are good inspirations for dot Com. not for new gTLDs, YET.

I see a lot of potential on some new gTLDs cause there are not much reasonable domains left with dot com.

There are new generations coming in to business each year, and will continue to.

new gTLDs will be used massively eventually in a particular time in future.

And this is the right time to invest.

Just register a single killer domain, exact match generic.

Hold on it for 5 to 10 years, and you will thank me later.

•••
The industry is not driven by the sellers but the buyers. Rick or Mann doesn`t really matter what they say or what they do, yet they are good inspirations for dot Com. not for new gTLDs, YET.

I see a lot of potential on some new gTLDs cause there are not much reasonable domains left with dot com.

There are new generations coming in to business each year, and will continue to.

new gTLDs will be used massively eventually in a particular time in future.

And this is the right time to invest.

Just register a single killer domain, exact match generic.

Hold on it for 5 to 10 years, and you will thank me later.

That's what it's all about right there and it's usually from people who are new and/or never ventured into the aftermarket. So another 10 years, when we're in year 4 already. Yes, hold it for another 10 years, let's wait 14 years. And then every year, let's push it further another few years. Registries love you guys. Forget reality, invest on hope.

•••
That's what it's all about right there and it's usually from people who are new and/or never ventured into the aftermarket. So another 10 years, when we're in year 4 already. Yes, hold it for another 10 years, let's wait 14 years. And then every year, let's push it further another few years. Registries love you guys. Forget reality, invest on hope.
How many dot coms registered after 4 years from 1985?

With dot com people started to register even nonsense made up domains.

4 years is too general. There are many of them became available in the past year.

Invest on hope? Of course and what do you invest on?

You hope to sell you domains as well right? If not sold than you are also holding and investing on hopes. Which is super normal.

Last edited:
•••
How many dot coms registered after 4 years from 1985?

With dot com people started to register even nonsense made up domains.

4 years is too general. There are many of them became available in the past year.

Invest on hope? Of course and what do you invest on?

You hope to sell you domains as well right? If not sold than you are also holding on a hope which is super normal.

Again, this is silly stuff. 4 years after 1985? You mean before the browser/websites existed? Do you realize how many new gtld fans have posted stuff like that. I invest in extensions people know already, that I don't have to explain. And in keywords that I can imagine a site being built on, endusers in mind.

•••
Last edited:
•••
And in keywords that I can imagine a site being built on, endusers in mine

This is correct way and everybody should follow this path, .com or .whatever it doesn't matter, just sell!

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back