Dynadot

new gtlds Mike Mann: “Read my lips gTLDs are D*E*A*D, absolutely no demand!”

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Mike Mann shared on Facebook my article about the bad landrush phase that .Blog domains had last week and also shared his views on the New gTLDs in general:
Read my lips gTLDs are D*E*A*D, absolutely no demand! This was the best out of thousands, along with .web and .app Better luck with other snake oil. .Com stays king. If you also voted for Hillary, rough week. TYVMI.
He also made several other comments about new extensions such as:
How about don’t but them at all, they serve no purpose and cause many problems, and waste a lot of time and money.
Now that everyone knows gTLDs are dead, please Google “Mike Mann gTLDs” and you will see I hit the predictions spot on.
He continued by quoting my article:
Ruggh ruoggh, too many scooby snacks: “So the .blog registry made more than $150,000 from the landrush phase. That doesn’t seem bad but the registry spent $19 million to get rights for the .blog new extension.” Not counting millions per year of overhead. Lesson learned, listen to the mann next time and stick with .Com
He then made more comments like:
“Don't renew your fancy new gtld domains. The experiment is over. No material resale market will take root.”
Mike replied to a comment made by Phil Harris
26 million registered and new sites being launched daily .. X.company being used by Google , Rightside stock just raised to buy status by zachs investment firm .. Awareness growing , secondary 6 figure sales being made , Mike I would say you should watch the movie God is not dead ..
by saying
sure sounds like a bubble

Mike today talked about Google and .soy:
Google spent some energy telling me how ".soy" domain extension was going to be the next big thing a while back, I tried to splain what was up….. Not to discount the fine folks, fancy offices, and great buffet. Googs, gimme a buzz, I’m still a know it all.
Drinking own Koolaid instead of listening to grassroots in the streets
Technically I havent checked the sales numbers but lets take a wild guess, dramatically lower than their expenses…….. like I told them nicely before they invested

Konstantinos Zournas November 14, 2016
http://onlinedomain.com/2016/11/14/...nn-read-lips-gtlds-dead-absolutely-no-demand/

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
He sure sounds like a "straight shooter".

•••
I think Mike Mann as much as he does have crazy skills with getting premium prices for domains that appear not to be superbly valuable, also needs to openly slate nGTLD's ... it's in his best interest to do so. He owns a massive portfolio of .com domains and he needs to make sure people don't start to consider the alternatives. I'm not saying that nGTLD's are worth more than .coms BUT they do offer alternatives and open up a few more options that people didn't have before. Like in the past if ShoesOnline.com/net/org/info was taken then thats it, if you really wanted that name you had to fork out whatever price the people selling it wanted....now you have the option of grabbing shoes.online or shoesonline.shop or whatever..... so Mike Man has to shout out from the rooftops that nGTLD's are useless waste of time and money in order to try and protect his inventory...... from a purely domaining perspective yes the .com does remain king and likely will not change...however from a business perspective (which is what most end users will be looking at) investing $150 000 on shoesonline.com might not be a better move than spending $10 000 on shoes.online - it comes down to return on investment and from a business perspective... $10k on shoes.online and spending the remaining $140k on marketing the business makes way more sense than dropping $150k on the stand alone .com domain,

Also, Google is obviously pro nGTLD's and they making a point of using them... they are pushing for people to become more comfortable with seeing nGTLD's ...now obviously we all know that Big G practically owns the Internet, if they want to promote something then you can sure as well bet it's going to get promoted to a level that would make the Oprah effect look like kindergarten.

•••
“Don't renew your fancy new gtld domains. The experiment is over. No material resale market will take root.”
I could not agree more. Com is king and there is no changing that any time soon.

•••
I agree with him too....dont renew them unless you have a perfect name that makes perfect sense like Used.Cars.

•••
Mike is more right then you may like

but its not about liking this time
if you need a second opinion then ask Rick Schwartz

•••
Mann and Rick Schwartz are the most experienced domain investors around doing it longer than everyone else.

Schilling started later and has a conflict of interest because he is selling them.

I would rather listen to Mann or Schwartz.

•••

Keep in mind that both Rick Schwartz and Mike have a vested interest in knocking nGTLD's as they are both heavily invested in their .com portfolios.

What I am trying to get at is that off course they will not be as valuable as a .com but this does not make them worthless. This doesn't apply to the people going out and registering stupid domain names that make no sense like forex.dentist or dumb@ss stuff like that. Im talking specifically of GOOD domains stuff like @gilescoley mentioned used.cars

People making the mistake of painting all nTLD's with the same brush... some of them are really good.. like .online / .club etc.. but some are not so good... its important not to put them all in the same bucket.

Lets use cars an analogy.

Mercedes/Audi/Bmw/Lexus/Jaguar/Infinity/etc.... are all luxury car brands, great quality cars and they have a model range wide enough to cater for just about everyones needs... so does that mean... all the other car makes are usless pieces of sh*t cars and there is no market for them at all and they should all just take a hike because the manufactures I mention above can cater for the entire market?

Off course not.... whilst everyone knows the brands I mentioned are the premier brands, there is still a massive market for people who don't want or can not spend that amount of money and are more than happy to drive around in a Toyota/VW/Hundai/Kia etc... does this mean they are cr@p cars? nope...they just cater for a different market....

Last edited:
•••
So pointless with guys who do not invest in new gTLDs themselves to know all about that market. Just a fraction of the sales are mentioned at Namebio etc. I do report about 10-15% of my own sales. I am personally much more succesful with my new gTLDs than my .COM names.

Mann is one hell of a domainer, but he is obviously biased.

Last edited:
•••
Mike Mann is at worst mostly right. Outliers dont define the trend. A few NTLDs are doing well, but most are bust from the domainer perspective IMO.

•••
•••
maybe he is just not interested in $500 USD sales...

•••

the big money is in .com if bought at reg fee and owned over time

the new gtlds don't do themselves any favours by charging high initial registration prices and equally high renewal prices especially as new gtlds have yet to have any long term data to suggest they are worth buying and keeping unlike the recognized standard .com has over the years

celebrities and sports stars etc prefer a .com website it would seem

the amount of .com s a person can buy for the price of some specifically desirable new gtlds they look ok i suppose

.com wins because its seen and recognised ss the global standard

so investing in .com is buying the best quality and extremely reasonable initial purchase price and equally reasonable renewal prices with greater potential for maximum return on investment

and global busineses prefer the .com and many have big $'s for top quality global digital property

•••
maybe he is jst not interested in $500 USD sales...

No, with the massive number of names he has, he would be bankrupt in no time with XXX sales.

Mann has been a hard working domainer for more than two decades and he deserve all success. I have no problem if he is doing a hundred times more money than me, but still I make an ok profit from new gTLDs and I am not alone.

•••
No, with the massive number of names he has, he would be bankrupt in no time with XXX sales.

Mann has been a hard working domainer for more than two decades and he deserve all success. I have no problem if he is doing a hundred times more money than me, but still I make an ok profit from new gTLDs and I am not alone.

Nope, you are not :)
Last two months - 9 gTLD sales, total ROI - $4100 Not bad :)

(If we count .info than much more)

Last edited:
•••
Nope, you are not :)
Last two months - 9 gTLD sales, total ROI - $4100 Not bad :)

Congratulations! Very nice to hear that. Keep up the good work.

•••
Congratulations! Very nice to hear that. Keep up the good work.

I agree with you, for Mike this is a peanuts but for us this is ok. I think $$$ sales are better than nothing :)

•••
of course they sell
but that doesn 't make make them a good choice

•••
I have more success with new gtlds too.
If others have more success with .coms thats good for them. I stick with the new gtlds. :)

•••
of course they sell
but that doesn 't make make them a good choice

So making XXXX per month from .com is good but bad from new gTLDs?

Seriously, I don't get it at all.

•••
Mike Mann: “Read my lips gTLDs are D*E*A*D, absolutely no demand!”

I'm wondering how Mike wants us to "read his lips" when his statement was a text comment on a social media platform, if he wanted us to actually read his lips he should have uploaded a video.

See, Mike is not some almighty superior being who sh*ts ice cream, a highly talented domainer no doubt but still a human being who is prone to mistakes and being wrong.

Lets not forget that his is also open and often boastful of this constant TM infringing domains. So he has no problem squatting on an existing brand for the benefit of his own pocket. Why do people assume he wont deliberately make negative comments about gTLD's not because he actually believes it but to protect his own investments, protect his pocket?

•••
Plenty of new gTLD's will falter. Plenty will work out well for businesses. Domainers will lose a lot and some will make a lot. The key is there is a mid-market that can be served with these new domains and focusing on that can make a nice profit IMO.

If anything gTLD's are bringing the idea of "good" domains to people and letting them get started and will help .com in the long run. I'm happy with many new gTLDs.

There were some good points in the article, one of which is that a lot of people will waste a lot of money on new gTLDs. Remember a lot of people waste a lot of money on .com names. Check out how many expired .com domains there are every single day. .com is the most valuable but not the only value. The loudest voices against new gTLDs seem to be from people with ultra premium .com names.

Wouldn't any business buying a new G also diversify and also have some .com names?
Two huge mistakes:
1) The owners of some new gTLD co's are the defacto domainer, keeping the top names out of sight or overpriced when the entire idea of new gTLDs was to bring these new names to market.
2) Cost of renewals. You could buy 150 of ___________.anynewgtldonsale today for under $200 bucks. But how much to renew? Keeping the renewal costs super low would help all these new gtld co's grow and keep renewal rates higher.

•••
I own lea.name
I had a lot of .mobi and .tel and .biz

now tell me what better with a .club?

•••
Finally this trademark abuser says something that makes sense...well done Mann for stating the obvious. Think that makes you a guru? No sadly not.

I sold 2 names yesterday from my website, yet I have less than 200 names on there. Do I shout from the rooftops? No. It is business.

Mann has 300,000+ names and still feels the need to abuse trademarks. Desperate. Unprofessional. Lame.

•••
I
Finally this trademark abuser says something that makes sense...well done Mann for stating the obvious. Think that makes you a guru? No sadly not.

I sold 2 names yesterday from my website, yet I have less than 200 names on there. Do I shout from the rooftops? No. It is business.

Mann has 300,000+ names and still feels the need to abuse trademarks. Desperate. Unprofessional. Lame.

I sell a lot of domains that I don t talk about

So what ?

Thank you Mike for letting us know your mindset

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back