Dynadot

discuss Let's Talk Domain Pricing Strategy (2020)

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

In 2020 Are You Pricing Your Domains Higher or Lower?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • Higher

votes
    58.7%
  • Lower

votes
    19.9%
  • No Change

votes
    21.5%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

Silentptnr

Domains88.comTop Member
Impact
I don't know about other domain investors, but I have been getting much more aggressive about my pricing. I'm quoting top prices and sticking to my guns. I'm not desperate to sell any domains and I rather wait for buyers that have real ideas and real budgets for my more valuable domains.

About three months ago, I switched most of my domains to PUR (price upon request). Not sure I like it or not. My instinct tells me just to set BIN prices. But we'll see. Getting a high amount of price requests though.

For now, each price request gets my firm, retail price.

I had a negotiation on Sedo a couple of days ago where a negotiation broke off after the buyers first offer was $170 and my price was $4500. Buyer came all the way up to 1800. I came down a bit but buyer cancelled.

Oh well, I'm not giving good domains away this year. Maybe I'll soften next year, but in 2020, I will be pricing on the higher end and be more firm.

What about you? Anything new to how you are pricing your domains.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.

I too am going higher...already turned down about ten offers this year (no sales to report yet) and once I have determined a floor, I won't go below that number.

In the last 4 months I tried the 'make offer' only model but all offers came in silly low. On all mid and upper level names I am putting a bin (mainly to drive away the low ballers by showing what I want) with 'make offer' only on the super top tiers (4L, one word). Low level domains will have a bin with no option to offer...they can take it or leave it.

•••
I am loving your confidence I am less confident but not about to roll over either hold out through droughts. I am finding a slow start but also been having problems with hosting considering moving all my domains back to parking as things I have tried to monetize aren't getting interest if not appearing for sale on type in.

•••
I am loving your confidence I am less confident but not about to roll over either hold out through droughts. I am finding a slow start but also been having problems with hosting considering moving all my domains back to parking as things I have tried to monetize aren't getting interest if not appearing for sale on type in.
Monetizing is not easy. I agree.

•••
Monetizing is not easy. I agree.
It is when you want to work on domains the more you try to do with starter site the more demand there is on sales conversion rates etc. Hosting all of a sudden you get a million more questions and all you wanted to do is help move a domain.

•••
This is a great thread that I only discovered because @James Iles nicely mentioned it in his weekly roundup. Thanks for starting it @Silentptnr .

I might edge my low pricing higher, but don't plan major changes.

I am behind getting some names listed, but when I do plan to have a BIN at one place (and Make Offer at other places) for each name. I guess if I had a common single word I would do Price Upon Request, but for most domain names I think having pricing in place will lead to more sales without negotiation.

I like purchase plan options, and plan to have those implemented on more than half of my portfolio.

Thanks again for thread, and best wishes to everyone for success in 2020 no matter what their pricing model is.

Bob

•••
No change - nearly all my names are set to PUR / make offer

I know which names have a high value and which I'm happy to sell on the cheap to pay for renewals

•••
On Sedo, Afternic and DAN - Higher. Much higher.

•••
No changes on most of my names

•••
I think the Uni deal has an impact on pricing, they always kept prices high, and negotiated hard. Godaddy will make a lot more accessible BIN's, which will invoke more sales, and take sales away from other parties, as these locked up names, are going to be given the greenlight.

Last edited:
•••
•••
I don't know about other domain investors, but I have been getting much more aggressive about my pricing. I'm quoting top prices and sticking to my guns. I'm not desperate to sell any domains and I rather wait for buyers that have real ideas and real budgets for my more valuable domains.

About three months ago, I switched most of my domains to PUR (price upon request). Not sure I like it or not. My instinct tells me just to set BIN prices. But we'll see. Getting a high amount of price requests though.

For now, each price request gets my firm, retail price.

I had a negotiation on Sedo a couple of days ago where a negotiation broke off after the buyers first offer was $170 and my price was $4500. Buyer came all the way up to 1800. I came down a bit but buyer cancelled.

Oh well, I'm not giving good domains away this year. Maybe I'll soften next year, but in 2020, I will be pricing on the higher end and be more firm.

I have this year put BINs to all my domain names and removed make offer option, and I also lowered prices 20% in average.

The reason is that I want to travel more and be less in front of computer, so let's see if this brings me some "automatic" sales without any effort this year :)

•••
With us, it's a little different. For certain ccTLDs, we have marked up the pricing to 2X-5X. While for others, it's down to 0.5X-0.8X.

•••
I review and change prices in 6 months intervals. At the last review probably 90% went up. The majority of my domains have landers at Bodis and BIN prices at marketplaces.
In my opinion there is no universal recipe and all of us have different circumstances.
In general speaking until the economy is strong I don't see falling prices.
I wish to all of us a successful 2020! :xf.smile:

•••
I too am going higher...already turned down about ten offers this year (no sales to report yet) and once I have determined a floor, I won't go below that number.

In the last 4 months I tried the 'make offer' only model but all offers came in silly low. On all mid and upper level names I am putting a bin (mainly to drive away the low ballers by showing what I want) with 'make offer' only on the super top tiers (4L, one word). Low level domains will have a bin with no option to offer...they can take it or leave it.
In general my prices are going up a bit, but down for names I want to liquidate. I have everything set to Make Offer but get too many lowball offers too. I'm soon going to increase the minimum offer on most domains and see what effect that has. Also going to list some on Afternic with BIN price but I have been intending on doing that for years and never get around to it, so I'll believe it when I see it!

•••
I have a gut feeling that domain value for an end user depends on domain price! so that a cheap but high quality domain may look like low value domain for them, and highly priced low quality domain may look like a high quality domain to them.

I am not sure about this but I was thinking that end users have no clue about domain values, and thus may think that way.

That being said I will not start overpricing my domains I think the best strategy is to price them just right at fair marketplace values, so I voted for "No change".

Last edited:
•••
I don't see any increase in the offered amounts during negotiations... it is even trending down from year to year...
So I don't see any reasons to increase BINs.

•••
Other than the best kind of buyer - the one willing to pay your asking price or close to it - in general I find two types of offerors. The first are hoping to buy at your minimum offer price and won’t go much higher if any higher. Doesn’t really matter how low or high you counter these types if your counter is much higher than your minimum you’re going to lose the buyer, which is no loss anyway - lowballer.

The second type of offeror is serious about buying the domain and willing to pay serious money for it based on its value, but is for whatever reason unwilling to pay your full asking price. With these types sticking to a high counter may blow the sale, but it of course comes down to as SilentPtnr mentions, whether you are willing to drop your expectations.

Lately I too have been raising my expectations or counters to offers, but in cases where the buyer is clearly of the second type - serious - I have to make a decision about whether to lower expectations to take the money today versus wait for some other buyer in the future.

Past thoughts on this subject:
https://www.namepros.com/threads/if...meone-offered-me-a-1000-for-a-domain.1055040/

Last edited:
•••
n general my prices are going up a bit, but down for names I want to liquidate. I have everything set to Make Offer but get too many lowball offers too. I'm soon going to increase the minimum offer on most domains and see what effect that has. Also going to list some on Afternic with BIN price but I have been intending on doing that for years and never get around to it, so I'll believe it when I see it!

LOL, I too have big plans every year and usually get derailed! But, so far, I am on track with making changes.I am devoting 1-2 hours each day on determining pricing for names and making the necessary changes...previously decided to devote to Uni landers but now may go with Afternic...not gonna decide until I am 50% complete on pricing. I'm in agreement with you on liquidation prices...gonna set prices low and let them sit until someone comes along and snaps them up.

•••
I have a gut feeling that domain value for an end user depends on domain price! so that a cheap but high quality domain may look like low value domain for them, and highly priced low quality domain may look like a high quality domain to them.
I am not sure I have much to add to this well expressed insight by @Ostrados, but I have wondered about exactly the same thing. It might be the case that at some point too low pricing makes a user think a name does not have value. But I still see value in not pricing unreasonably high.

Bob

•••
HODL for the moon, as the kids say.

That, or lease for $xxx minimum.

•••
Definitely higher -- a combination of inherent domain demand & niche appreciation.

•••
•••
Alternatively I will increase and Decrease. What ever my guts tell me thou.
And this applies to my non geo domains

•••
HODL for the moon, as the kids say.

That, or lease for $xxx minimum.
That's what I am doing. I'm gonna drop a load of "might be worth some money but not worth my time to try to get it" domains and then I have some that I just really like. Those I am keeping and renewing a few years ahead in some cases.

I am getting back to development in a big way after a year out as a parent to a new born. Nice to have 80% salary for a year here and be able to do that.

Have turned down quite a few offers that I think are below what I expect to get the name for. Will probably buy (investments) names for around $2k to $6k in the future now that I have more understanding of domaining after reading this forum for about a year or so.

Have also re-evaluated the people I have met in here. See the BS and the value adders. Not so easy to see in the beginning.

Last edited:
•••
Back