NameSilo

Pricing strategy opinions

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Which pricing strategies do you use most?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • "Make Offer" - No minimum, No asking/buy price

votes
    50.0%
  • Minimum offer, No asking/buy price

vote
    16.7%
  • Minimum offer, With asking/buy price

votes
    0.0%
  • No minimum, With asking/buy price

votes
    33.3%
  • Fixed Price - No negotiation

votes
    33.3%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

I've experimented with several different ways of pricing domains and really still haven't found one best way yet, but wondered what others are doing and what's been successful.

"Make Offer" with no minimum and no buy price - Scares some people off thinking you will want too much. Some possibility of getting numerous rediculoulsly low offers. Advanage is you may get an offer larger than you thought. I've found I get fewer initial offers priced this way and some worthless $1 offers.(I use this on very good names with long term future potential that I don't care if I move quickly.)

Minimum offer open high end - Stops the very low offers, but tends to make all initial offers the minimum. Most negotiations start from this low figure. Disadvanage is buyer then knows you may accept lower price.

Minimum offer, but fixed asking price - Sets the whole range of negotiation from low to high. pretty much assures you won't get more than the asking price, but sometimes tempting to buyer to know the"buy price" if they really want it. You may lose that once in a lifetime 6 figure sale, but still make a sale.

No minimum but fixed asking price - less likely that buyer will start at your min price and be somewhere closer to the asking price. You still get some worthless $1 offers, but sometimes you get the asking price right away. The cost is you may be priced low and shortchange yourself (I'm tending toward this pricing model lately).

Fixed Price - no negotiation pricing. Might lose some sales that would have been close to your price, but don't have to fool with counter offers and low offers. Might get asking price right off, but also may never sell. (I tend to use this currently on price ranges from $25 to $100)

Anyone have opinions and experience as to what's been working for you? I don't think there's any one best way for all circumstances, but I'm curious as to others strategy in what appears to be a rising market.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
If its a name that I own that I would be happy with a price of $10 to $15 I would think that the: "Make offer with no minimum or asking price" would be a good way to go. You will probably get lots of $1.00 offers but you should receive some that are close to your acceptable price IMO (if there is any interest in the name at all).

Just for your info, I personally don't use any other stategy but a specific asking price. I may drop the price a bit a few days later if there is no interest, or I may just accept that there is no interest in the name at the particular site I have it listed and "move on".

I've sold a few this way (anywhere from $10.00 to $100.00).

Just a few thoughts on the subject.

A good thread. Hope it receives lots of post!
ST

•••
I would have to say that "Make Offer" - No minimum, No asking/buy price and Fixed Price - No negotiation would be the best strategies for domains. :)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back