Dynadot

discuss Let's Talk Domain Pricing Strategy (2020)

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

In 2020 Are You Pricing Your Domains Higher or Lower?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • Higher

votes
    58.7%
  • Lower

votes
    19.9%
  • No Change

votes
    21.5%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

Silentptnr

Domains88.comTop Member
Impact
I don't know about other domain investors, but I have been getting much more aggressive about my pricing. I'm quoting top prices and sticking to my guns. I'm not desperate to sell any domains and I rather wait for buyers that have real ideas and real budgets for my more valuable domains.

About three months ago, I switched most of my domains to PUR (price upon request). Not sure I like it or not. My instinct tells me just to set BIN prices. But we'll see. Getting a high amount of price requests though.

For now, each price request gets my firm, retail price.

I had a negotiation on Sedo a couple of days ago where a negotiation broke off after the buyers first offer was $170 and my price was $4500. Buyer came all the way up to 1800. I came down a bit but buyer cancelled.

Oh well, I'm not giving good domains away this year. Maybe I'll soften next year, but in 2020, I will be pricing on the higher end and be more firm.

What about you? Anything new to how you are pricing your domains.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
The domain market boom that is going on is certain to last for years to come well until APPS replace domains which will happen within 10 years from now. When apps replace domains it will be urgent to secure your similar words as domain in an APP name. I am getting very high profit off domains and pricing very high. However, since we know domains won't last forever it's time to start creating android and ios apps.

•••
The domain market boom that is going on is certain to last for years to come well until APPS replace domains which will happen within 10 years from now. When apps replace domains it will be urgent to secure your similar words as domain in an APP name. I am getting very high profit off domains and pricing very high. However, since we know domains won't last forever it's time to start creating android and ios apps.

Where are most of your sales happening?

•••
My 2020 Domaining Strategy

Last year I split my portfolio into two portfolios.

Strategy One
The first portfolio is with my top 100 domains. These I've raised the price significantly so that they are only appropriate for End Users. Still negotiable, but only reasonable pricing for the value of the domains.

We as an industry tend on average sell our domains at significantly below their true value. If you look back on your sales from the last few years, my guess is that deep down you know that your domains true value was double or more what you sold it for.

So this year, my top domains get the accurate pricing they deserve. Even if they get half the sales, I'll probably make more money, with the added benefit of not losing as many great investments for sub par deals.

Strategy Two
My second portfolio contains everything else. The domains are a mix of low, medium, and high quality... Yes... Even high quality. Simply domains that didn't make my top 100 list.

The strategy for this portfolio is called the Exodus Method. What that means to me is that volume of sales is more important on this portfolio than maximum profit per domain.

Selling at reseller prices, sometimes at cost or even at a loss provides me with extra liquidity.

This in turn helps pay for renewals and new domain acquisitions. Keeping my portfolio fresh and ever changing. With this portfolio I'm open to bulk discounts, reseller pricing, and even domain swapping deals.

This portfolio in the last 12 months made me around $8,000... From just a few sales that came in without even having landing pages on the majority of the domains, nor having listed or marketed them. Having a large amount of domains that are a big mix of types, niches, extensions, etc. yields a certain conversation rate it would seem.

If all of the domains in this Exodus Portfolio sold at end user prices... I'd make around $100,000. And yet to illustrate just how flexible this strategy is... I'll tell you now that if I got an offer of just $5,500 for the entire 100+ domain portfolio... I'd take the deal.

The entire point of this portfolio is constant movement. Almost at any cost.

This way I have two portfolios with almost opposite strategies... And this way I get the best of both worlds.

Strategy Three
For the last 10 years I've experimented with various marketplaces and marketing methods and usually do different mixes of things to sell my domains.

For the most part I've been pretty slack on putting up landers and listing on marketplaces. I have now come up with a method that I feel works the best.

Strategy three is all about listing EVERY domain I have on the maximum number of places. Also with landers. And all with BIN price.

And there you have it. My domaining Strategy for 2020.

Good luck everyone :)

Last edited:
•••
For me right now I am focusing on growing my portfolio so I am ready to sell so long as the price gives me enough roi to reinvest in acquisitions. I have everything BINed with option to make an offer. I'm not worried about getting max value I'm more concerned about moving what I have quicker to extract some profit to reinvest and grow.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back