IT.COM
Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Is .US dead (??)

Yong1

Established Member
Impact
Is anyone still investing in .US domains?

Has anyone sold any .US domains lately?

Where would you sell them?

Obviously in the .US .com is king too, but I have seen at times .us being used by different companies.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
It would soar if it was allowed to be registered internationally but I think it serves a different purpose. When people see .us, they know it's a local company and will have no problems with shipping/customs and such. As more and more gtlds are released, it'll be hard to set apart which company is based where, so if your company only ships to the US, that would be the extension to opt for.

•••
•••
The sad thing is that we were having the exact same conversations here ten years ago, about the sleeping giant (that must still be under anesthesia) :(
The Anesthesia is wearing off and it couldn't be at a better time. Imo development will lead the way.

Last edited:
•••
who in the usa can afford to buy even a loaf of bread let alone a useless extension that the majority of people has no clue it even exists?

•••
who in the usa can afford to buy even a loaf of bread let alone a useless extension that the majority of people has no clue it even exists?
If you can't afford a loaf of bread you should be worried about food and not investing. You say that .us is useless, but i say you're wrong because I am already using it. I wonder how many .US you own or plan to? Should be 0 with you making that statement. You said useless extension but it is America's only cctld like it or not.

Last edited:
•••
If you can't afford a loaf of bread you should be worried about food and not investing. You say that .us is useless, but i say you're wrong because I am already using it. I wonder how many .US you own or plan to? Should be 0 with you making that statement. You said useless extension but it is America's only cctld like it or not.

first of all the statement about affording it is relating to how bad the us people are hurting in general. the us average income is $30k +- . meaning if they cant afford bread a domain in such an extension that's basically a joke is not worth persuing.

.us is imo a waste of time

•••
If I want to try out an idea Dynadot says I can buy a .us for $3.59. For that I have a much broader choice of names than I could find in dot com. As far as I know Google doesn't discriminate against non-coms in their search results. So it seems to me it makes sense for someone with a really tight budget.

•••
first of all the statement about affording it is relating to how bad the us people are hurting in general. the us average income is $30k +- . meaning if they cant afford bread a domain in such an extension that's basically a joke is not worth persuing.

.us is imo a waste of time
Do you own any .us domain names?
Btw artstars.us is taken and being used.

Last edited:
•••
I'm interested to know whether there are any popular .us hack sites?

•••
I'm interested to know whether there are any popular .us hack sites?

Well, .us was used for one of the original and most successful domain hacks to date with del.icio.us which later moved to delicio.us.

Eventually the site moved to .com with delicious.com as any successful hack should to prevent traffic leaks.

There have been several other .us hacks used as word plays but the most important in my opinion are local, state and national government sites on the extension. My own state of Texas uses state.tx.us as the basis for most of the state branch sites. Texas workforce commission as an example - http://www.twc.state.tx.us/

This use lends a lot of credibility and inherent trust to local and generic industry sites on .us in the U.S. I own a few generics, such as Insurance.us, and get regular emails asking about related government programs assuming the domain is owned by a government agency.

•••
Well, .us was used for one of the original and most successful domain hacks to date with del.icio.us which later moved to delicio.us.

Eventually the site moved to .com with delicious.com as any successful hack should to prevent traffic leaks.

There have been several other .us hacks used as word plays but the most important in my opinion are local, state and national government sites on the extension. My own state of Texas uses state.tx.us as the basis for most of the state branch sites. Texas workforce commission as an example - http://www.twc.state.tx.us/

This use lends a lot of credibility and inherent trust to local and generic industry sites on .us in the U.S. I own a few generics, such as Insurance.us, and get regular emails asking about related government programs assuming the domain is owned by a government agency.

Yes, delicio.us very popular hack, Thanks.

•••
Here, of course.
Trip down the memory lane:
Will not allow to post link. So had to remove. See original post

That's fine... But instead of considering a forum post from 2006 and what Joe Schmo thinks; consider also CURRENT statistics, patterns in bidding, drops/expirations followed by pick ups, new governmental focus, major stakeholders, and the emerging industries. And also development moves on neustars part, for example doing away with restrictions such as privacy/proxy. Check out the latest minutes from their last board meeting. Then consider the release which has be discussed of ll, and cc.us?

Here is a reflective question, to what extent does the general investors feelings on the .us actually impact the ccTLD value/use?

I think it does, substantially it does. However, the back lash to investors will come from the enduser. As the end user buys up the .us overtime instead of holding investors. This will lead to the existence of more quality websites with great names. Eventually, and with exponential rising numbers perhaps soon, investors will be forced to recognize what they failed to see, failed to wait on, and that is the value in the usTLD. Too bad so sad will be what I'll I have to say.

•••
IMO I honestly think that .US is a very risky investment for domaining as .COM is and always will be king in the USA. In terms of cctlds, I would look elsewhere, my main area of concentration right now and for the next few years will be the .IN extension as the ROI and potential for growth is incredible and .IN has now started moving at a really fast pace......its a great investment opportunity and will surely follow and most likely surpass the success of other cctlds such as .DE and .CO.UK

You can check out the following thread for more information and discussion on the .IN extension and reasons behind why it is proving to be very popular right now:

https://www.namepros.com/threads/reasons-behind-massive-growth-in-the-in-extension.924844/

.IN domains for 2 billion population country - 2MM registered
Reaction: ROI and potential for growth is incredible, .IN has now started moving at a really fast pace (this mostly due to registering Chinese (!) premium 4L and 4-5 Ns). It is a great investment oppurtunity and will surely follow and surpass the success of .de and .co.uk

.US domains for 0.3 billion population country - 1.7MM registered
Reaction: I honestly think that .US is a very risky investment for domaining as .COM is and always will be king in the USA.

Go figure... .US without Chinese premium craze and with heavy limitation who can get it is has 85% of .IN registrations that can be registered by anyone, and yet, compare the reactions.

•••
That's fine... But instead of considering a forum post from 2006 and what Joe Schmo thinks; consider also CURRENT statistics, patterns in bidding, drops/expirations followed by pick ups, new governmental focus, major stakeholders, and the emerging industries. And also development moves on neustars part, for example doing away with restrictions such as privacy/proxy. Check out the latest minutes from their last board meeting. Then consider the release which has be discussed of ll, and cc.us?

Here is a reflective question, to what extent does the general investors feelings on the .us actually impact the ccTLD value/use?

I think it does, substantially it does. However, the back lash to investors will come from the enduser. As the end user buys up the .us overtime instead of holding investors. This will lead to the existence of more quality websites with great names. Eventually, and with exponential rising numbers perhaps soon, investors will be forced to recognize what they failed to see, failed to wait on, and that is the value in the usTLD. Too bad so sad will be what I'll I have to say.

A few months ago you make an intro post saying you're new to domaining, and now you've got it all figured out already.

Using Namebio
.us - 5 reported sales for the year over $1,000. That's not good.

This chart, looks like it's going down, not up - http://www.registrarstats.com/TLDHistoryChart.aspx?TLDName=US

When I first started getting into domaining, I bought a lot of .us. It was cheap, I think $2.99 or $2.49 at GD with a coupon. Got a lot of nice deleting names, regs etc. Made money on it.

Today I have 0. Let them expire or sold them all because there just wasn't much interest.

If it hasn't happened to this point, why would that change, in a world full of new gtlds and more coming. More options for people. .com has always been the United States extension.

As far as more promotion, if you ever wondered why heynow is so angry all the time, it's because he was/is a heavy .us investor and these are his thoughts:

"Remember back in 2009 I believe, or perhaps later, when that fool Igor from Neustar told us in an interview how big things were planned for .us in the coming months.. Then the months and years went by with nary a marketing strategy, nor any follow-up by the woefully inadequate domain industry press."

"Sure. Just like Neustar taled and wrote about promoting .us. Think about it. Talk about it. Keep domainers' money coming in any way possible, including misleading promises of "marketing."

https://www.namepros.com/threads/th...look-at-indias-emerging-domain-market.879170/

Last edited:
•••
That's fine... But instead of considering a forum post from 2006 and what Joe Schmo thinks; consider also CURRENT statistics, patterns in bidding, drops/expirations followed by pick ups, new governmental focus, major stakeholders, and the emerging industries.
I thought my point was obvious. Obviously the stats are different, there are more domains registered in .us today than in 2006. But even .ca has more registrations... .us is such a joke.
But nothing has changed really: .us is still considered a third grade extension, I mean people would rather buy a .net or some zany re-purposed extension like .co.

•••
A few months ago you make an intro post saying you're new to domaining, and now you've got it all figured out already.

As far as more promotion, if you ever wondered why heynow is so angry all the time, it's because he was/is a heavy .us investor and these are his thoughts:

"Remember back in 2009 I believe, or perhaps later, when that fool Igor from Neustar told us in an interview how big things were planned for .us in the coming months.. Then the months and years went by with nary a marketing strategy, nor any follow-up by the woefully inadequate domain industry press."

JB Lions needs a reality check. Less than 100 .us names mostly bought upon initial launch back in 2001? That's "heavily invested?"

The plumb in Lions' post, so fondly reflecting on the past, is that he includes the word "fool" in my description of Igor from Neustar. The other day I posted my opinion of Ron Jackson as a "tool," and my post was quickly deleted for "name calling." But when it serves Lions' interest, he's happy to use a description of name calling with no problem sharing it with the world.

By the way fellow Namepros members, Heynow is not "angry all the time" as Lions feels entitled to surmise. It's funny here when you belabor the truth, others consider it a show of anger. The truth is, this business is full of BS'ers and hypocrites, both of which I personally attribute to Lions.

•••
JB Lions needs a reality check. Less than 100 .us names mostly bought upon initial launch back in 2001? That's "heavily invested?"

The plumb in Lions' post, so fondly reflecting on the past, is that he includes the word "fool" in my description of Igor from Neustar. The other day I posted my opinion of Ron Jackson as a "tool," and my post was quickly deleted for "name calling." But when it serves Lions' interest, he's happy to use a description of name calling with no problem sharing it with the world.

By the way fellow Namepros members, Heynow is not "angry all the time" as Lions feels entitled to surmise. It's funny here when you belabor the truth, others consider it a show of anger. The truth is, this business is full of BS'ers and hypocrites, both of which I personally attribute to Lions.

Those are your quotes, not mine. So you have a history of it. And that was brought up because he mentioned moves of the registry, which reminded me of you talking about them and not doing much.

Heavily invested meaning .us is the highest percentage of your portfolio.

And not angry all the time? As if people can't simply click on your name and read all your posts.

"this business is full of BS'ers and hypocrites"

Which you demonstrate by still having your names at GoDaddy. That was brought out in one of your other rants. So you haven't taken any stand whatsoever.

https://www.namepros.com/threads/co...p-20-sales-with-10-entries-each.934627/page-2

Last edited:
•••
But instead of considering a forum post from 2006 and what Joe Schmo thinks; consider also CURRENT statistics.

I guess they are all Joe Schmo to you.

Member Brad has the most thorough experience and success with Dot US, seek out his posts on the subject.

For me, I never see a Dot US on tv or print. That the best current stat I need.

If things change I'll change.

•••
Heavily invested meaning .us is the highest percentage of your portfolio.

Oh sure, that makes sense. If I own 5 domains and 3 of them are .us, then I'm "heavily invested" by your definition. You play fast and loose with the truth, certainly.

"this business is full of BS'ers and hypocrites"

Which you demonstrate by still having your names at GoDaddy. That was brought out in one of your other rants. So you haven't taken any stand whatsoever.

Take a stand? Sure, I have taken a stand. I keep my names there. That's a stand. I'm gonna take your suggestion and move them? That's a good one. Keep the jokes coming.

•••
Oh sure, that makes sense. If I own 5 domains and 3 of them are .us, then I'm "heavily invested" by your definition. You play fast and loose with the truth, certainly.

Take a stand? Sure, I have taken a stand. I keep my names there. That's a stand. I'm gonna take your suggestion and move them? That's a good one. Keep the jokes coming.

If you own 5? We both know you own a lot more. Did you forget your previous post where you said less than 100? If it was closer to 5 you would have said that.

You like .us so much, you even offered buying one from me. I've read your posts over the years about .us. I literally linked to you talking about them when you were going off on .in/india.

shea mentioned something about the registry and promotion. You were talking in the thread I linked about about the lack of it, as if you were expecting some and that was going to help .us. Why don't you address that part.

Let me quote you again:

"Sure. Just like Neustar taled and wrote about promoting .us. Think about it. Talk about it. Keep domainers' money coming in any way possible, including misleading promises of "marketing."

Again, you're obviously not happy about it, hence my comment.

•••
I thought my point was obvious. Obviously the stats are different, there are more domains registered in .us today than in 2006. But even .ca has more registrations... .us is such a joke.
But nothing has changed really: .us is still considered a third grade extension, I mean people would rather buy a .net or some zany re-purposed extension like .co.

Yea your right, that WOULD be and IS pretty obvious. But that's not even what I was talking about.

•••

Thank you for the information, seen it for myself a year ago...it was and may still be a once in a blue moon opportunity..., instead of looking to the Past look to the present there are factors happening now that were not present back then.

Last edited:
•••
I found following developed .us site in Google first page: thecubicle.us

•••
I found following developed .us site in Google first page: thecubicle.us
They also own cubicle.us which redirects to thecubicle.us.

•••
I own around 500 LLL.us and sold a couple a month in a range of $200-$1,000
I don't complain since my cost is around $10-$20 a piece.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back