Domain Empire
NameSilo
Watch

Is .US dead (??)

Yong1

Established Member
Impact
Is anyone still investing in .US domains?

Has anyone sold any .US domains lately?

Where would you sell them?

Obviously in the .US .com is king too, but I have seen at times .us being used by different companies.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Thank you for pointing out. It was $1 but I set it for testing along with BIN. Now reversed it to $1 again.
Your bin's at $14,999:) I'm guessing simpl doesn't mean anything? Brandable?

•••
Would disagree as well.

.De does not appreciate acronyms as much. They value full words, even with dashes in them. cctld > com

I am not sure if that is realy true

Domain Price Date Venue
qtg.de 3,420 USD 2016-02-07 Golem.eu
ycp.de 953 USD 2015-12-03 Sedo
tvh.de 1,880 USD 2015-11-06 Sedo
qsm.de 826 USD 2015-11-03 Sedo
cox.de 1,991 USD 2015-10-12 Sedo
oyi.de 974 USD 2015-09-29 Sedo
sup.de 6,719 USD 2015-09-16 Sedo
bhm.de 1,737 USD 2015-08-24 Sedo
osp.de 2,463 USD 2015-08-12 Sedo
mpz.de 1,219 USD 2015-07-09 Sedo
pey.de 967 USD 2015-06-19 Sedo
rvz.de 1,335 USD 2015-06-02 Sedo
yto.de 981 USD 2015-05-07 Sedo
ney.de 1,142 USD 2015-04-27 Sedo
dho.de 763 USD 2015-03-11 Sedo
zml.de 1,770 USD 2015-01-14 Sedo
rec.de 2,563 USD 2014-12-24 Sedo
ust.de 1,875 USD 2014-11-12 Sedo
nrd.de 6,350 USD 2014-10-29 Sedo
fbh.de 2,539 USD 2014-10-29 Sedo
nrd.de 6,392 USD 2014-10-15 Sedo
vfc.de 1,715 USD 2014-10-15 Sedo
dng.de 6,210 USD 2014-07-23 Sedo
cwf.de 1,347 USD 2014-07-23 Sedo

•••
I have been picking up assorted info, us, & biz domains that I think would be easy to turn into small informational sites. In my mind SIMPL would be a name on which to build a brand. That suggests a large, long-term commitment of time and money to development. If I am going to work that hard on a single site my thought would be to go to the best dot com I could possibly afford.

For example, I bought WorldTimes.info on NP some time ago, with the idea of an educational site where I could use public domain resources (images, videos) to build courses that teach kids about time zones and how they effect online activity.

Doing something with SIMPL doesn't fit with that program.

•••
I like how your bin at $14,999:) I'm guessing simpl doesn't mean anything? Brandable?

Well, it can be. Google 'SIMPLUS' and there are many companies which has registered this domain.

Moreover, it is one Latin word domain 'SIMPLUS' meaning 'SIMPLE'.

•••
@mhdoc You're absolutely right. I have only one .us domain in my Portfolio and I bought it just as an experiment and then put it into auction.

May be, I would prefer to wait few more years before I find a right buyer for this.

•••
Interesting, the poll results are almost exactly 50/50 % for .us.

I voted for .us - but I tend to develop sites to better appeal to .US resellers or endusers

•••
IMO I honestly think that .US is a very risky investment for domaining as .COM is and always will be king in the USA. In terms of cctlds, I would look elsewhere, my main area of concentration right now and for the next few years will be the .IN extension as the ROI and potential for growth is incredible and .IN has now started moving at a really fast pace......its a great investment opportunity and will surely follow and most likely surpass the success of other cctlds such as .DE and .CO.UK

You can check out the following thread for more information and discussion on the .IN extension and reasons behind why it is proving to be very popular right now:

https://www.namepros.com/threads/reasons-behind-massive-growth-in-the-in-extension.924844/

•••
IMO I honestly think that .US is a very risky investment for domaining as .COM is and always will be king in the USA. In terms of cctlds, I would look elsewhere, my main area of concentration right now and for the next few years will be the .IN extension as the ROI and potential for growth is incredible and .IN has now started moving at a really fast pace......its a great investment opportunity and will surely follow and most likely surpass the success of other cctlds such as .DE and .CO.UK

You can check out the following thread for more information and discussion on the .IN extension and reasons behind why it is proving to be very popular right now:

https://www.namepros.com/threads/reasons-behind-massive-growth-in-the-in-extension.924844/
For one we know that quite a few 3l.com's were bought by the chinese just this year, means american companies need to find another option besides .com. Anyways why does it seem that whenever there's a discussion about .us it gets bashed and then the conversation gets steered elsewhere like you did with this thread which has nothing to do with .in.

•••
Recent .US sales

Clearly.us $1000
Authentic.us $1500

So .US is pretty much active :)

•••
Still not one bid for indexing.us and not more than one bid for rummy.us at $10 with No Reserve at flippa.

Rummy is a great game and gets a ton of searches - So its nice that the results are close to 50-50.. but all in all no one here is really buying .us names...kindoff similar to simpl.us which is also getting no love at all..

•••
Still not one bid for indexing.us and not more than one bid for rummy.us at $10 with No Reserve at flippa.

Rummy is a great game and gets a ton of searches - So its nice that the results are close to 50-50.. but all in all no one here is really buying .us names...kindoff similar to simpl.us which is also getting no love at all..
Those may be good names in.com but with .us the bar is set higher especially if you're looking to flip it quickly. Many people have good names in.com that they seem to not be able to sell, does that mean .com is dead. Anyways some people think this is the end of. Us since it's been around for a while, in my view this is the beginning. Again If you are looking to flip it would be very difficult. If you're looking to invest or develop I think there are some great opportunities.

Last edited:
•••

Little marketing is needed to get bids in Flippa

•••
I sold rov.us last year for low $x,xxx. It was a decent ROI but I had held onto for a few years..

•••
You can brand a .us domain. I have quite a few .US domains and they are Geo related or even like free video .us etc.. I would invest in them. I wouldn't handreg applecomputerservicepro or nonsense names.

•••
I sold rov.us last year for low $x,xxx. It was a decent ROI but I had held onto for a few years..

I have one LLL.us but haven't had any offers. Listed it as a BIN.

•••
For one we know that quite a few 3l.com's were bought by the chinese just this year, means american companies need to find another option besides .com. Anyways why does it seem that whenever there's a discussion about .us it gets bashed and then the conversation gets steered elsewhere like you did with this thread which has nothing to do with .in.

Sorry mate, but I thought this thread was about the potential of .US which is a cctld and therefore I decided to also mention .IN as a comparison in regards to why I think .US is not going to be a great investment in my own opinion in comparison to another cctld which I do think is going to be a sure fire winner. For me, .COM will always be king in the american region of the world, therefore .US will always be in direct competition with .COM for local/national American users and therefore that will always be a major factor in undermining the potential of .US and this is the big difference with .US and other cctlds for major economies of the world such as .IN or .CN

•••
Sorry mate, but I thought this thread was about the potential of .US which is a cctld and therefore I decided to also mention .IN as a comparison in regards to why I think .US is not going to be a great investment in my own opinion in comparison to another cctld which I do think is going to be a sure fire winner. For me, .COM will always be king in the american region of the world, therefore .US will always be in direct competition with .COM for local/national American users and therefore that will always be a major factor in undermining the potential of .US and this is the big difference with .US and other cctlds for major economies of the world such as .IN or .CN
I would like to see you try to explain to a business in America why .in an extension they have never heard of is better than .us.... if businesses cannot find what they like in.com I believe .us will be one of their top choices.

Last edited:
•••
I would like to see you try to explain to a business in America why .in an extension they have never heard of is better than .us.... if businesses cannot find what they like in.com I believe .us will be one of their top choices.

I was actually discussing .US as an overall cctld extension for its own country in comparison to .IN, I was not suggesting that Americans use .IN for American enduser useage but if that is what you are implying, then yes .IN can also be used outside of India too (in places like America & Europe) and is already being used in that way anyway, as it is great for .INternet, .INternational etc.....

•••
I was actually discussing .US as an overall cctld extension for its own country in comparison to .IN, I was not suggesting that Americans use .IN for American enduser useage but if that is what you are implying, then yes .IN can also be used outside of India too (in places like America & Europe) and is already being used in that way anyway, as it is great for .INternet, .INternational etc.....
Do you disagree with the following statement " if US businesses cannot find what they like in.com I believe .us will be one of their top choices."

I get irritated when people hijack threads in order to steer the conversation to whatever extensions they are either invested in or affiliated with.

•••
.usTLD is not dead! Its a beast to be awaken in my opinion. I like the defined term of dormant, as I've heard some use on the thread. You can see the stats on neustar.us, less drops with more registration.
To boot I've monitored the biding trends on Godaddy. You should too. Do an advance search, mark .us as the extension, leave out numbers and dashes, and sort by most bids... It use to be very few had bids 1-2years ago. Go check it out now. Also, I've monitored expireddomains.net, fewer drops and immediate pick up of drops/expirations of lll.us. Not even 9months ago I could registrar lll.us right from expireddomains.net.

People are actually developing sites with the .us. Many are small mom and pop shops and organizations. However, many of theses small business will be on the forefront. And .com is not an option for every company and less and less will become available. the .us is a viable option. Many high stake investors have their hand in the pot. Some of these stakeholders can move the trend of investment. Its a timing thing here.

I'm well invested in the .usTLD. I think its foolish to believe that this monster won't awake. Its a sleeping giant. The .usTLD counsel board just polled the board and the majority agree that the policy/proxy settings should be enabled. This will increase the value. As well as Neustars pathetic snail like public awareness attempt. But the .us is doing that on its own naturally, from low registration fees. And people more well cultured, immigrants from countries where ccTLD are used, will establish businesses here with the .usTLD. The senate has become involved and there is a previous bill involving the current state of the .us. You can goggle "current state of the .us" to see neustars address to the government. The government, printing paper, is involved and a stakeholder in this. I think its a little foolish to think its dead, all together.

I have plenty of domain names, some llll.co, ccc.com, lll.net, some cc.org's,and guesss what? The domain which gets the most traffic is not a .com, I get a lot of hits on competitor.us, teammate.us, sunflowers.us, ustld.us. More than the .coms or the .orgs... These are real business owners (not investors ) looking for branding or names.. These are end-users.. I've study the IP and behavior, not bots.

What does it mean when endusers are trafficking your domain names rather than investors? It means investors are missing out on something. While new gTLD will keep being barfed out, the .usTLD stands unique, ageless relative to domain extensions, and identified with what many people believe is the greatest country in the world.

•••
thanks for vvvv.us! you pay a lot for coffee
I am trying to sell a LLL.us here on Namepros for $19. That term is taken in more than 100 extensions. So, if not dead, it's just undergoing open heart surgery?! :P

However, I just sold VVVV dot us on GoDaddy. But for coffee money (more or less).

Its a small world. thanks for vvvv.us! you pay a lot for coffee. Just more proof that the restrictions don't really apply.

•••
The sad thing is that we were having the exact same conversations here ten years ago, about the sleeping giant (that must still be under anesthesia) :(

•••
IMHO cctlds will never be dead because there will be some local residents/companies want to use it atleast as a secondary domain.
Ofcourse they will never become as popular as .COM

•••
•••
The sad thing is that we were having the exact same conversations here ten years ago, about the sleeping giant (that must still be under anesthesia) :(

Really, in 2006 you were discussing .us? I was domaining then too. That's funny, cause I don't remember anyone talking about it then. huh.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back