IT.COM

.us The .US Discussion and Registration Thread

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

owntype

DomainName.comTop Member
Impact
How to protect the .US domain if I can't meet nexus Requirement?

I believe there are many domainers outside (or no connections to) U.S still own .us domains, so how you guys make it safe? Tips needed, thanks in advance! :)

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
What does that mean? The registry, neustar, does nothing about it.

•••
Get yourself a P.O. Box number in the United States and tie it to a shell company that you use to launder money in and out of the country in exchange for transporting cocaine using a mule.

•••
I don't live in U.S, has no biz connections to U.S too.. so can I own a .us with my U.K contact info? Thanks

Ja$on said:
Get yourself a P.O. Box number in the United States and tie it to a shell company that you use to launder money in and out of the country in exchange for transporting cocaine using a mule.

Done! Thanks! :kickass:

•••
Not with your Uk contact info,

Setting up a simple LLC and paying yearly tax will do for owning .us

$300 investment done wonders for me :)

•••
theparamount said:
What does that mean? The registry, neustar, does nothing about it.
Well, if someone reports you or if they conduct a spot check you could lose the name if you are compliant with nexus requirements.
Don't forget video.us was dropped twice in a few months ;)

•••
Unless its high profile... they arent gonna care.

•••
I read you could also qualify if you do significant business dealing with the USA. Most of my internet business is US centered even though I am in Canada so I think that qualifies. It seems to me that if you sell to lots of US buyers then that should also qualify you.

•••
The state of .US and spot.us

I haven't been active on the board much this past year, been busy in other areas. Let a lot of my .US domains drop, but hung on to many of the best.

I don't know about you guys but I feel good about .US these days. There's a new sense of patriotism in the country. I see more .US on ads, I see more links to .US sites -- one I found this morning from an investment site is www.spot.us - check it out.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not declaring .US is suddenly becoming "hot", it is going to take time, but sooner or later this country WILL realize it has it's own extension that not only distinguishes us from the rest of the world, but is quicker and easier to type than .COM

•••
Same for me not being active lately.

I notice you have some great great domains in your sig. I hope you keep em and save them until .us picks up and becomes a powerhouse extension.

•••
i think the .me trend has helped activate the .us and other hacks or pronounceable ext's

•••
Timewarp said:
I read you could also qualify if you do significant business dealing with the USA. Most of my internet business is US centered even though I am in Canada so I think that qualifies. It seems to me that if you sell to lots of US buyers then that should also qualify you.

Regarding this information in this link, can someone tell me about the "bona fide presence in the US". Does this mean a physical presence or is an online presence suffice? This isn't made clear in this pdf document. If you have a website that is providing a service to the US market only & have the site hosted in the US but you live outside of the US, could you still come under nexus category 3?

Or is there another way around it by registering a domain on behalf of a US citizen? Could you register a .us domain name using your own account & card details but use a US citizen details for the WHOIS information as long as you have an agreement with the US citizen to do so. I can't find this info anywhere and would appreciate any info on the legal aspects of this.

http://www.nic.us/policies/docs/ustld_nexus_requirements.pdf

Last edited:
•••
If I am not a American can I registering .US Name ?

I want to register .us domain name but I don't live in USA, And I dont have any residence in USA, Is it possible for me to register .us domain? or What Should I do to register an .us domain. I really need it please tell me a way how to do it...

•••
Can I registering .US Name ?

Hi mates!

I want to register .us domain name but I don't live in USA, And I dont have any residence in USA, Is it possible for me to register .us domain? or What Should I do to register an .us domain. I really need it please tell me a way how to do it...

•••
partner with someone who lives in the U.S.

•••
You must establish a U.S. business presence or have an American own the domain on your behalf.

•••
Yes and might I add that the .us registry has deleted domains which had "fake" U.S. business presences. Probably best to get someone you trust to register any .us for you unless you legitimately qualify.

Marck said:
You must establish a U.S. business presence or have an American own the domain on your behalf.

•••
Someone has lost video.us this way

•••
No. We're losing everthing else here to outsiders. Can we at least keep that.

•••
You can't legally, however, in practice you can as long as you don't have a $x,xxx name as it is unlikely to be checked. Probably not worth it though!

•••
there's a great opportunity for someone in the us to be setting up a service for people to reg .us through them (at a fee) IMO

•••
but how do they keep track ?

do we need to input SS numbers ?

•••
.us is kind of strict. I think they will actually verify by contacting you to confirm your whois info. That what I heard..can any one confirmed?

•••
offer made on my .us domain

i have an offer of low $X,XXX for automax dot us

Should I sell?

•••
Well the bid has to be coming from the company automax. You might want to be careful because they have a TM on that name, so I might be inclined to just take the offer. Just my opinion though. You might be able to haggle a little more, but I doubt it. For a .us name, anything in the 4 digits is very good.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back