IT.COM

Is it time to trash all non .com domains?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

LarryDomain

Top Member
Impact
Inquiring minds want to know!

Share your thoughts.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Probably 20 years ago, people said the same about .com. I remember back then, I had colleagues telling me there was no way to generate business on the internet. :)

Now, for those who held onto their .com domains, well we know how that went.

Bottom line is, even .com domains drop. I'm not a big fan of other extensions or anything. Just saying that I have seen many things change overnight. One big celeb, one announcement, just one thing could ignite interest quickly.

Careful investment is always the best policy. I see lots of money wasted and it doesn't matter the extension.

•••
If you want to EAT and MAKE money you stick to GOOD .com's
If you want to STARVE and LOSE money, keep registering everything else.
But Pigeonshit is Pigeonshit regardless of extension.

•••
One big celeb, one announcement, just one thing could ignite interest quickly.

I'll have to disagree on that one. Google, Justin Bieber, pretty big. Didn't ignite anything. Bieber got a .tattoo, which only had a little over 8,000 regs at peak, now down below 3,000 - https://ntldstats.com/tld/tattoo

Google got .xyz, that's dropping already and those penny drops are coming.

It's going to take hundreds/thousands of quality sites for people to see these. That's not happening. Most are just too niche. The others (more generic ones) are just horrible, xyz, gdn, link etc. .net is better than all of those.

Last edited:
•••
.com is like Google.
.net/.org are like Bing/yahoo

Others are like lycos, teoma, duckduckgo etc.

Now, you decide.

•••
upload_2017-4-27_11-17-40.png

•••
Trash all non com!? - Hell no! There are still a lot of great domains in any extensions, you only have to find them! We all know that .com is the golden standard, but don't trash other extensions. The internet evolution is still in the infancy stage. 25 years is nothing and all the non .com extension bashers will sooner or later have to adapt to the reality in which we are living. :xf.smile:

•••
I only usually buy dot com but I feel some just fit the other extension well still for keyword phrases.

•••
- Maybe the Chinese would jump on other extensions.
- Maybe VR won't live up to it's hype and will be replaced by the next best thing
- Maybe some middle eastern Billionaires would start acquiring .CAMEL domains

So the bottomline is you just can't predict what will happen 5 to 10 years from now.

So take a deep breath, don't trash any domains and just...
Netflix and Chill! :brb::facepalm:

•••
I would ditch all gtlds stick to com net org and cctlds

•••
Theoretically if you can make money with a portfolio of domains in any extension, go for it. There are people who make a career working at McDonalds. However, like most people working at McDonalds, portfolios loaded with alternative extensions tend to not perform well.

•••
Hint: follow the market.
If you want to make sales then you'd better buy .com domains.
Pigeon shit is hard to sell.

But for the rest, holders of mediocre .com portfolios (99.999% of people here), you should slowly start getting some good new gTLDs while there is still some chance.

Average .com portfolios will suffer significantly from all these new names, and I feel they will loose value quicker in next few years then many of their owners can realize now in 2017.
Holders of mediocre nTLD are not going to experience a similar drop in value, since their holdings are already worthless (and very illiquid) :)
But good luck with the renewal fees, at least they can be written of as operating loss for tax purposes :)

The dotcom boom is not going to repeat itself in another extension, only the newbies and the dreamers believe that. And there are too many extensions available, the end user demand is too limited and cannot absorb the oversupply.

Making a nTLD sale is achievable, but the real challenge is to repeat the feat again and again, and develop a proven business model. Even the registries are struggling. Again, that should surprise nobody but the newbies.

If you want to be an investor: .com + mature ccTLDs, purchased selectively (preferably aftermarket/expired auctions/buying straight from current holders).
If you want to be a domain collector: pretty much everything else :xf.grin:

•••
I don't think so

I will keep my .de too ;)

•••
•••
I'm keeping my strong one-word .co's. I'll let dotcoms drop before them. After all, the dot co market is still young.

•••
I already trashed 110 gTLDs in last 2 Months.
Concentrating .COM and ccTLD (Your Own Country) will be much profitable.
I even avoiding .NET .ORG until something got WOW.

•••
Besides the premium like buy.land fast.cars, find.hookers.. etc.. i wouldn't want to hold on to anything like desserts.car or something similar..etc

•••
I was only able to sell one .com domain so far, but I have sold 3 other extension domain.

So for me try to invest on them for short of period, then flipp it for as low as you can. There reg price are very cheap too

•••
In 2006 you might have bought some randon now called chip 4l . Com as well
And some of them may have been cvcv.com

That will give a very different outcome

Chinese prem thing is a fluke that might still "normalize". It is impossible to make educated bet for something like that into future. Many Chinese prems are also western chips and they were selling for low-mid $xxx even 11 years ago.

CVCV.coms were also $xxxx names at that time, as other great LLLLs. I paid around 2.5K for elix.com at NJ auction about 8 years ago, for example.

Last edited:
•••
Premium Domain Extension
The domain extension (TLD) of the domain is a premium TLD and has achieved high-priced sales in the past (such as .com, .net or .co.uk). New gTLDs cannot be submitted. This time, these will be provided directly from our registry partners.
Perfectly illustrates how registries have taken the place of domainers in the ngtld space (reserved names, premium pricing, etc. and now also as the only eligible party in this auction within this name space).

•••
Is it time to trash all non .com domains?.
If you had the experience required to buy more speculative names then you would not be concerned about what you bought. If you don't have the experience, don't buy them.

•••
I buy and sell only .com's and .ca's because I am from Canada.

I actually do pretty well with the .ca's so I would say that some of the country codes are ripe for the picking.

•••
.com is like Google.
.net/.org are like Bing/yahoo

Others are like lycos, teoma, duckduckgo etc.

Now, you decide.

Loved it. Very, very well said.

It can't be simpler than that when it comes to knowing the true value of .com domains.

•••
IMO .vip is the most hyped and also one of the worst strings, it will never gain much traction not even in China.

Very limited niche, not many will brand under .vip

It sounds just odd if a business calls themselves XY VIP unless it is for certain niche purposes. .online is much better.
Go my friend go :) Can we also have a bit from @Kate about "how registries will fail" and my favourite "do not invest in dead.horse", and bit from @JB Lions in regard of the horrible and weak sales of .vip? Seriously guys, you help a lot - I am at the moment purchasing .vip MASSIVELY, but some people simply do not want to sell! So I guess they should learn more about how .vip is not performing :) Last time there was such a heated debate, I was able to get some amazing .life names for bargain..so I appreciate all your effort!

Now seriously - if you are visionary and happen to invest in 1997-2000 and now holding amazing .coms, there is really no need to get any interest in new gTLDs.Really good .com names will only slightly feel their existence for next decade (this will though change with more advanced progress in voice searches via mobile, like Siri, which is still few years to come imo).

But for the rest, holders of mediocre .com portfolios (99.999% of people here), you should slowly start getting some good new gTLDs while there is still some chance. Average .com portfolios will suffer significantly from all these new names, and I feel they will loose value quicker in next few years then many of their owners can realize now in 2017.

•••
Hint: follow the market.
If you want to make sales then you'd better buy .com domains.
Pigeon sh*t is hard to sell.

Holders of mediocre nTLD are not going to experience a similar drop in value, since their holdings are already worthless (and very illiquid) :)
But good luck with the renewal fees, at least they can be written of as operating loss for tax purposes :)

The dotcom boom is not going to repeat itself in another extension, only the newbies and the dreamers believe that. And there are too many extensions available, the end user demand is too limited and cannot absorb the oversupply.

Making a nTLD sale is achievable, but the real challenge is to repeat the feat again and again, and develop a proven business model. Even the registries are struggling. Again, that should surprise nobody but the newbies.

If you want to be an investor: .com + mature ccTLDs, purchased selectively (preferably aftermarket/expired auctions/buying straight from current holders).
If you want to be a domain collector: pretty much everything else :xf.grin:
...... and nothing about registries which will fail? :)

The advise "follow the market" is worst advise ever - it is direct way to poorness- you can not make ANY significant profit if you follow what all other people are doing. Not only in domaining, but in all aspects and areas of life, be it real estate, stocks, art..whatever you choose. The secret is to buy low, when all are selling (and in fear), and to sell, when all are buying (and in greed).
:)

•••
What you are suggesting is always the same, in all your posts (and it well corresponds with your motto "think inside the box" imo) - wait until there is actually a good liquidity at the market, and avoid any speculation.
More or less yes :xf.frown: I am not saying domainers shouldn't speculate, but they must minimize the risk.
A good portfolio, with any kinds of assets, should be balanced, that means the proportion of high-risk investments must be kept to a small percentage, and offset with safer investments.

If your portfolio is 100% new extensions, then you will suffer. If it's 10% new extensions, and the rest is .com/strong ccTLDs, then you are in a better position. But even dotcom portfolios are not profitable for the majority of domainers. So...

You advise to people basically the opposite, just to be 100% safe. This safety can cost them a lot in the future - if they play accordingly, they will stay with empty hands and have nothing valuable :xf.cry:
Just a couple observations:
  • The value of good .com has always gone up. Even up to this day.
  • The naysayers are more often right than wrong in this industry.
  • Tell me which nTLD I should invest in right now, there are so many. You don't know, it's just gambling. So I prefer to stick to the proven stuff. It's not that I am narrow-minded, but I need to know what I am doing. In new extensions I don't know what I should buy and why, and what my exit strategy could be. Not to mention that I want to make sales today, not in 10 or 20 years if things go according to the plan.
  • Buying lottery tickets is not an investment...

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back