NameSilo

Is it time to trash all non .com domains?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

LarryDomain

Top Member
Impact
Inquiring minds want to know!

Share your thoughts.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Guys like him, who bought LLLL domains for pennies at that time are probably swimming in pools of cash today. @Silentptnr

•••
.com is like Google.
.net/.org are like Bing/yahoo

Others are like lycos, teoma, duckduckgo etc.

Now, you decide.
Lol....Good analogy.

•••
Guys like him, who bought LLLL domains for pennies at that time are probably swimming in pools of cash today. @Silentptnr

Look at it this way.

You could buy regular LLLLs for $50 average in 2006, you can buy them for $250 average in 2017.

In 11 years someone made you great service of holding those names and paying renewals for just $200, which is roughly 4% interest on $9/year renewals and initial investment of $50.

Last edited:
•••
.com is like Google.

Now, you decide.

and AltaVista....

•••
For me, At present I like "King.Com", I dislike "Com.King" (y)

•••
bing is better than google

Precisely my point. No matter how good you are, majority of people still won't use. Cos, just like how Google comes naturally to ppl, .com comes naturally.

•••
Bla bla bla .. I've literally said it before .. so I won't say it again (because I can just quote myself ... lol)

I'm relatively new .. but I'm getting reeeeaaaally tired of the all or nothing debates on every aspect of the new gTLD's .. seriously .. there are so many factors and shades of grey that everybody conveniently leaves out to justify their point of view.

Yes they can be some great use of them ..
.. but (IMO) yes most domainers don't seem to understand what works and what doesn't

Yes most of them are garbage ..
.. but yes some of them do have their rightful place on the Internet and are useful

Yes there was a good argument to add new TLD's
.. but yes they added too many and they were also implemented quite sloppily.

If you're buying 10 cent domains then unless you go there in the first 3 minutes it's very likely not worth it ..
.. if you're buying premiums that cost $1000's per year then it's also likely not worth it ..
.. if you find a cool span.thedot domain for $10-20 per year with an initial acquisition cost a fraction the cost of the equivalent .com then there's a chance you could be doing it right and might make a little $$ in the long term.

At the end of the day there are some fantastic nTLD domains ..
.. but most of them are garbage (seems I already said that .. lol)

So yes .. there are aspects of them that are inovative ...
.. and yes .. there are some aspects of them that are not!

ANYBODY who blanket judges and chooses one side or the other is missing out both potential losses and on potential opportunity.

Yes (y) ... and ... Yes (n)

•••
.com and true cctlds that represent countries. Obviously true cctlds that are open to registrants without restrictions, will be even better.

Everything else wont have enough End Users needed to keep the Tld brand growing. You need 1000's of medium and large companies using the TLD's , most large cctlds have them already

Last edited:
•••
Really good .com names will only slightly feel their existence for next decade (this will though change with more advanced progress in voice searches via mobile, like Siri, which is still few years to come imo).

voice searches will not change anything, changing input method will not change domain preference, does not matter if you use your fingers or your mouth, wishful thinking at work here.

Siri will not save .horse.

word.word can be an alternative for wordword.com thus you would at best only double the supply of choices not more.

.com values will not be affected except for the very worst domains maybe.

nGTLDs are mostly kept alive by speculators ATM, nGTLD are overbought, even strings that are not registered in .com or don't make any sense in .com have been bought. When the Chinese pull out (50% of the market) the market will crash like a house of cards and when speculators leave there will be little left except for a few premiums that are registry reserved.

Last edited:
•••
most domains don't sell because of traffic anymore, that was many years ago so it is the usual BS argument.

also what would prevent people from adding com to a word when using voice input?
Absolutely not true - traffic is the key element of value of best .com domains.

Of course, if one sells some mediocre, made up brandable for high XXX, there will be no traffic - people are buying "brand" in this case. But great keyword domains for million of USD - of course the traffic is important!

As for adding .com to voice input - you are probably the only one doing so :) When I search for "Prague restaurants" or "London properties" using voice functionality at my smartphone, I do not add there .com...

•••
Absolutely not true - traffic is the key element of value of best .com domains.

Nice discussion going on here mates, keep it coming.

@lolwarrior when we say that (the pink/bold line above), it is mostly for SEO domains, that are to be used for SEO purpose. Or for domains to be directly used by domain buyers, for website flipping and whatnot.

But when it comes to value'ing a domain, traffic doesn't always comes as a priority. It comes down to how relevant the domain is, and how easy it can be embedded to with the business.

Just my thoughts,

•••
Voice search in future will change everything.
It will change very little because voice search is already routine for many smart device owners.
Some people also speculated that the apps would make domain names less relevant, it's of course incorrect. In 1996 people were saying that search engines would make domain names obsolete etc :)
You see, domain names have been dying for so long :xf.grin:
And if you're saying that domain names will become irrelevant including .com, then you shouldn't be investing in domain names at all.

...... and nothing about registries which will fail? :)
Registries will fail of course, but it is mostly the nTLD domainers who will fail, very few people will remain profitable (usually they are called registries anyway).

The advise "follow the market" is worst advise ever - it is direct way to poorness- you can not make ANY significant profit if you follow what all other people are doing. Not only in domaining, but in all aspects and areas of life, be it real estate, stocks, art..
In my opinion it's good advice, because you can't sell stuff that is not in demand. It's strictly speculation or gambling, if you are waiting for awareness and demand to come in the future.
If you want to sell domains, then you need to look at what end users are buying today.

In fact, very few people understand the value of domain names, even domainers (or especially domainers). The evidence is all around here that domainers for the most part are not getting it and living in denial.

So thousands of domainers may be buying .com, but only a few are successful because they are buying smarter and the majority of the competitors do not understand the market well enough to make good decisions.

•••
:xf.cry:
It will change very little because voice search is already routine for many smart device owners.
Some people also speculated that the apps would make domain names less relevant, it's of course incorrect. In 1996 people were saying that search engines would make domain names obsolete etc :)
You see, domain names have been dying for so long :xf.grin:
And if you're saying that domain names will become irrelevant including .com, then you shouldn't be investing in domain names at all.

Registries will fail of course, but it is mostly the nTLD domainers who will fail, very few people will remain profitable (usually they are called registries anyway).

In my opinion it's good advice, because you can't sell stuff that is not in demand. It's strictly speculation or gambling, if you are waiting for awareness and demand to come in the future.
If you want to sell domains, then you need to look at what end users are buying today.

In fact, very few people understand the value of domain names, even domainers (or especially domainers). The evidence is all around here that domainers for the most part are not getting it and living in denial.

So thousands of domainers may be buying .com, but only a few are successful because they are buying smarter and the majority of the competitors do not understand the market well enough to make good decisions.

You forget 1 thing - all investments are time sensitive. Of course, you need to reg good names, it is first prerequisite to success, this is what I am saying all the time (and for low renewals). But then, it is very important also WHEN you do so - you must to do that EARLY, in order to have a significant success (profit) in future. If you do that late, you are just catching the train.

What you are suggesting is always the same, in all your posts (and it well corresponds with your motto "think inside the box" imo) - wait until there is actually a good liquidity at the market, and avoid any speculation. But I mind you, whenever there is a good liquidity and market is well established, prices are already way way up. So your advise is not bad, but it does not lead to good results..it leads to "so so", very average results. It can not be otherwise, logically. I am sure though for many people this advise will be sufficient.

In order to save $$$ today, you advise to give up $$$ $$$ in future. All speculation (no matter what the probabilities are) are bad. For you it can make great sense, but there are other people (like me) and for them it does not make any sense. We do not want to wait until each normal new gTLDs name will be for XXXX/year (which is slowly happening now anyway, after lot of registries woke up and started to apply premium renewal models with much higher intensity in 2016)

Time sensitivity :
- you need to buy when it is cheap (and people are in fear, or not yet confident - market is still new)
- you need to sell when it is expensive (market is proven, liquidity is there, and people are in greed, expecting large future profits). This is the way how one can achieve great results. You advise to people basically the opposite, just to be 100% safe. This safety can cost them a lot in the future - if they play accordingly, they will stay with empty hands and have nothing valuable :xf.cry:

•••
Is it time to trash all non .com domains?

I really don't want to be disrespectful - but in my opinion it's time to trash this question ;)

•••
There are good .com names and there are bad .com names. Our advice with bad .com names is to drop them before the renewal expenses get out of hand.

The same can be applied to extensions... there are good ones and bad ones

I think the marketplace will determine which ones will be considered good and which ones will be considered bad. It will be based on multiple factors like how long is the extension, how marketable is it, what are the renewal rates and what is the consumer awareness.

In the end the prediction of hundred of them will probably be narrowed down exponentially, so all we really have to do is allow the marketplace to do what it does. The strong survive and the weak go bankrupt. The smart domain investor asks himself.... what extensions have the most potential because that is all we do. Domain selling is speculation, the better you are at that the more money you will make.

•••
•••
Look at it this way.

You could buy regular LLLLs for $50 average in 2006, you can buy them for $250 average in 2017.

In 11 years someone made you great service of holding those names and paying renewals for just $200, which is roughly 4% interest on $9/year renewals and initial investment of $50.
In 2006 you might have bought some randon now called chip 4l . Com as well
And some of them may have been cvcv.com

That will give a very different outcome

•••
I am very careful about extensions other than .com . I play very tight with new gTLDs. Some examples of the ones I have are:

ai.city
crunch.xyz
universal.cam
billing.global
eastern.global
homeloan.online

By the way, I don't know if it's just me, but I have had several $100+ sales of .ninja that I hand regged only 30 days before. Not huge paydays, but I have noticed in particular that .ninja can sell here on NP.

•••
Perfectly illustrates how registries have taken the place of domainers in the ngtld space (reserved names, premium pricing, etc. and now also as the only eligible party in this auction within this name space).
Right. This is likely a cosponsored event. Domainers not allowed. Does that send a message or what?
Initially, I thought it might be a "Future Tech" auction, but no such luck.

•••
to anyone thinking of dropping one word ngtld names (that make sense), pm me first, I might help you break even.

•••
Look at sales of domains sold in any keyword. End user buyers have been buying mixed extensions long before we were talking about gtlds.

•••
Theoretically if you can make money with a portfolio of domains in any extension, go for it. There are people who make a career working at McDonalds. However, like most people working at McDonalds, portfolios loaded with alternative extensions tend to not perform well.
McDonald's Corp Jim Skinner CEO's pay package was $9.7 million
and to think he once flipped burgers. Whether your selling at 10% or 1000% there is still profit and there are still people capable. Popular keywords have sold in many extensions. Sure dot com rules the roost but doesn't mean you should be dropping your best domain hacks. There are poor registrations made in many extensions along with good ones.

10% of USA work force works for Mcdonalds at some point.

Last edited:
•••
.info the best and most under rated will rise from the ashes:pompous:

•••
when the llll.com combo sold out at about 2010 or so ,I was able to sell a bunch of garbage llll.coms for 180-200 that was the high they worked down to 40 bucks again on godaddy ebay namej etc.b4 trading back up 2years ago ,the 200 mark seems to be the support area. and I think its cheap as hell to get in at that floor ,I can see base prices in the 800 range in just 2 years

•••
.com is like Google.

Now, you decide.

Except country codes like .ca they are like Google.ca ..... of value in the country of origin.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back