Dynadot

Is it time to trash all non .com domains?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

LarryDomain

Top Member
Impact
Inquiring minds want to know!

Share your thoughts.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
If you have good new gTLDs => keep them
If you have bad new gTLDs => drop them
and mind about renewals = invest only in these with low renewals (max usd 20-25)
remember : just because there is a high renewal attached to it, it does not mean it is a good name
:)

•••
I don't think it's good to trash any of the good ones the bad ones perhaps. But thats up to people to decide.

•••
Lol....Good analogy.

I'm giving up on Google searches, and I find DuckDuckGo suits me better. Google seems to be more interested in providing sales sites in the results, and I usually want information.

•••
Go my friend go :) Can we also have a bit from @Kate about "how registries will fail" and my favourite "do not invest in dead.horse", and bit from @JB Lions in regard of the horrible and weak sales of .vip? Seriously guys, you help a lot - I am at the moment purchasing .vip MASSIVELY, but some people simply do not want to sell! So I guess they should learn more about how .vip is not performing :) Last time there was such a heated debate, I was able to get some amazing .life names for bargain..so I appreciate all your effort!.

Not sure why you do this to yourself. We can talk about the low and few reported sales - $250, $101, $100 and your unwillingness to post your .vip sales because they're probably in the same range or lower. In your attempts to try to pump these or shine a nice light on them, I think you're actually doing the opposite.

Just checked, it's also almost 97% China - https://namestat.org/vip

Think about that for a little bit.

Last edited:
•••
•••
Completely agree with you as a generality. But if one looks deep inside a pile of pigeon fecal matter you will surely get your hands dirty but also find some nuggets of lesser "fecal mattery" domains.

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

OMG... soooo funny but absolutely true

Even the so called domaining experts kick themselves once in a while because they did not get their hands dirty and lost out on a good one.

If I could give your post more than 1 like I surely would (y)(y)(y)(y)(y)

•••
http://domainincite.com/6800-massive-group-forms-to-kill-off-new-gtlds

many brands don't want the new extensions. another myth busted. they are protecting themselves that's all.

List includes companies like Dell, Ford, GE, Coca Cola, Nestle, Adobe and Samsung.

The corporate world never wanted them that is why they are unlikely to use them.

http://domainincite.com/6018-fifth-ad-group-opposes-new-gtlds
Thank you for your "news" from 2011..
And now have a look what is going on in 2017 in the world of corporate .brands - excellent source fo information, if you really want to be informed - http://www.makeway.world/showcase/

•••
Looks like Epik is investing very significantly in the new GTLD space. CEO Rob Monster just posted the following:

"Overall, I believe this decision bodes well for the .CITY TLD, to the extent that registrants use the TLD in a manner that is consistent with marketing a city.

As context, to date, about a year after assembling the world’s largest .CITY domain portfolio, we have had just 2 UDRP complaints and zero cease and desist letters related to our use of .CITY domains.

For anyone interested, and for the sake of full disclosure, the next big milestones for DigitalTown coming up are:

(1) May 9-11, DigitalTown will meet with the registry operators of the new web in Madrid. In addition to existing strategic deals with .LONDON, .BOSTON, .MIAMI, .LAW and .FIT, we are finalizing strategic deals with many more registry operators. In the process, we are architecting the new web. We call it the “Smart Web” — the new online real estate of a Smart Internet, connected by a single sign on Smart Wallet.

(2) May 20-23, DigitalTown will launch the Smart.Menu platform at the National Restaurant Association convention in Chicago. Smart.Menu is a breakthrough platform that is being launched in partnership with the trade associations as a means to equip any restaurant to be a digital restaurant. The launch version of the platform also includes city directories for thousands of cities all running on .MENU. This levels the playing field against Open Table, Yelp, etc.

(3) June 12-16 at London Tech Week, we will launch Smart.London. This is a global event for us, where we will not only start the global movement but also launch the web services platform that lets independent developers build their own applications. This will done through a Hackathon. It is a cash-efficient method for us to crowdsource software innovation, very similar to how say Xbox became dominant in console gaming, or how WordPress has become the dominant content management system for building sites.

(4) July 16-19 in Nashville, we will launch Nashville.city. It is a US flagship launch. The event will be mainly at the Convention of the American Chamber of Commerce Executives. In addition to exhibiting and sponsoring we’ll host an event on July 17 starting at 5:30 pm at the iconic The Stage on Broadway, inviting the multi-stakeholder Nashville community to celebrate the opening of Nashville.city with national PR support that introduces to other cities how they can learn from Nashville’s example.

(5) August 8-10 in New York we are scheduled to be with the National Association of Bar Executives at their annual conference for the introduction of DigitalTown’s global .LAW network, a network expected to cover thousands of cities. This platform gives the State Bars a response to Avvo as they regain their role as a source of legal referrals.

In short, the SmartWeb is quickly becoming a reality. And while the “.COM Forever” folks might not love this news, the reality is that it makes intuitive sense that the web would become descriptive. ICANN should perhaps have played a larger role as architect in approving TLD application. The fact that they did not simply means that the private sector needs to self-organize around some organizing principles. I believe this is indeed happening, and I am happy for DigitalTown to play a role as enabling catalyst."

Source: https://onlinedomain.com/2017/05/01...n-wins-udrp-complaint-domain-gorgonzola-city/

•••
"Is it time to trash all non .com domains?"

Imho, the above question is kind of "Is it time to stop dating with all girls but french ones?" or "Is it time to stop eating everything but pizza" and similar "questions", i.e. senseless.

•••
•••
I actually managed to sell a really, really bad .co.nz domain for $25USD once.

I'll have to admit, it's my proudest sale.

•••
I'm just starting to get into domaining and couldn't help but register a bunch of gTLDs, I realize this was probably a mistake in hindsight, however I still see a lot of potential in some of them and they helped broaden my portfolio for cheap, do you think I'll have any luck selling sites like watchsurfing.live watchsoccer.live ect?

I think probably no sorry. but you never know. One can not win any game if you do not play. It costs money to play. Example, Cars, women, domain names. lol

•••
.org was great alternative for me, until they screwed it by raising prices.

By the way, if Verisign adds, let's say $3-4/year, on .com renewals, lots of .coms held for future sale would become worthless overnight.

•••
.org was great alternative for me, until they screwed it by raising prices.

By the way, if Verisign adds, let's say $3-4/year, on .com renewals, lots of .coms held for future sale would become worthless overnight.

maybe you should keep .coms that are worth more then $30 USD

•••
•••
Last edited:
•••
.com is like Google.
.net/.org are like Bing/yahoo

Others are like lycos, teoma, duckduckgo etc.

Now, you decide.
bing is better than google

•••
It will be interesting to see the result
Sedo’s May Great Domains Auction: ” The Future Edition”. It's focused on new gTLDs.

This auction event will feature new gTLD's. Sedo is accepting applications now. I have submitted a few domains, some of which I posted above.

It will be interesting to see how it turns out. The only thing is, there is a $10 per name application fee. Otherwise I would have submitted more.

There is a submission form on their website. You will need to have an account at Sedo and be logged into the account in order to submit domain names for the auction.

Last edited:
•••
It will be interesting to see the result
Sedo’s May Great Domains Auction: ” The Future Edition”. It's focused on new gTLDs.

This auction event will feature new gTLD's. Sedo is accepting applications now. I have submitted a few domains, some of which I posted above.

It will be interesting to see how it turns out. The only thing is, there is a $10 per name application fee. Otherwise I would have submitted more.

There is a submission form on their website. You will need to have an account at Sedo and be logged into the account in order to submit domain names for the auction.
I have looked at this but I found this:
Application Criteria for GreatDomains Auction+
Application phase is April 21 - May 11.
Only generic and high-quality domains are eligible for auctions. Once you submit your domains, our brokerage team reviews these against our criteria. It is up to the discretion of our domain brokers whether your domain is accepted for the GreatDomains Auction+ (Domains under review cannot be put up for sale for about 3 - 5 days).

An application fee of $10 is charged for each domain that is submitted. This fee is non-refundable regardless of whether a domain is accepted or denied entry into the auction. An additional commission of 15% of the highest bid is charged for a successful auction sale.

01.png

Premium Domain Extension
The domain extension (TLD) of the domain is a premium TLD and has achieved high-priced sales in the past (such as .com, .net or .co.uk). New gTLDs cannot be submitted. This time, these will be provided directly from our registry partners.

@Silentptnr Please sent me some feedback if Sedo will accept any of your new gtld submissiions! Thanks!

•••
•••
Should I add my motel.tips domain? Referring to the sedo auction... Hm :)

•••
Funny thing is, i got a bill to pay the app fees in my email. I didnt pay it yet thanks to @1Darko . :)

•••
•••
For me, At present I like "King.Com", I dislike "Com.King" (y)

Still can make names like johnking.com or john.king
com.king is a poor example of a domain hack.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back