NameSilo

Is it time to trash all non .com domains?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

LarryDomain

Top Member
Impact
Inquiring minds want to know!

Share your thoughts.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
For me, At present I like "King.Com", I dislike "Com.King" (y)
Taking this, expanding on it in a literal sense:

- If there was a real .King extension, Com.King could actually be a far more precise fit. I guarantee you people would be salivating over that name.

- But, where Com.King has a more direct approach and literal use (basically implying the "King of Com"), it loses against King.Com in a more widespread appeal, where the ".com" is taken out of the equation because of its ubiquity and you are left solely with the word "King".

Is it time to trash all non .com domains?
This is a very juvenile approach- but whatever floats your boat.

I think since every domain name requires an extension to function, why not take advantage of the TLD if it fits the name?

•••
except its a one word TLD that makes sense, dot com is always the choice , in my opinion

•••
Depends on what the domain is actually. I have a name like CheapTrips/.to , I believe it may work someday etc so not all are bad.

•••
You could hand-reg 4L .com's in 2006. They weren't all taken until 2007-2008. And, if you bought one's owned you could get them for $15.
Look at it this way.

You could buy regular LLLLs for $50 average in 2006, you can buy them for $250 average in 2017.

In 11 years someone made you great service of holding those names and paying renewals for just $200, which is roughly 4% interest on $9/year renewals and initial investment of $50.

•••
You could hand-reg 4L .com's in 2006. They weren't all taken until 2007-2008. And, if you bought one's owned you could get them for $15.

Ok, fine, you hand registered it and your return made 8% annualized. Still nothing spectacular in such a risky business and worth paying someone else for holding it for you.

•••
I think that new gltds will blow up unexpectedly in about 10 years but this will only happen after the lowest performing ones collapse. Sadly, I'm not creative enough to think of what trend that could cause this...but I will be watching...

•••
The only thing for sure about the new gTLD's is that they will continue to be hotly debated, everything else is pure speculation and hearsay.

That said, I have participated in a lot of hearsay :xf.laugh:

•••
When considering new gTLDs, I personally see

.online
.live
.life
.world
.vip

doing very well in future- mainly broad ones like .online and in certain extend .vip have lot of potential, but also .life and .world are interesting as they can create nice brandables - and there seem to be already lot of pages well developed on them (if you check Alexa 1 mil) - so looks like end users like them.

•••

IMO .vip is the most hyped and also one of the worst strings, it will never gain much traction not even in China.

Very limited niche, not many will brand under .vip

It sounds just odd if a business calls themselves XY VIP unless it is for certain niche purposes. .online is much better.

Last edited:
•••
•••
If you want to EAT and MAKE money you stick to GOOD .com's
If you want to STARVE and LOSE money, keep registering everything else.
But Pigeonsh*t is Pigeonsh*t regardless of extension.
Completely agree with you as a generality. But if one looks deep inside a pile of pigeon fecal matter you will surely get your hands dirty but also find some nuggets of lesser "fecal mattery" domains.

•••
Not sure why you do this to yourself. We can talk about the low and few reported sales - $250, $101, $100 and your unwillingness to post your .vip sales because they're probably in the same range or lower. In your attempts to try to pump these or shine a nice light on them, I think you're actually doing the opposite.

Just checked, it's also almost 97% China - https://namestat.org/vip

Think about that for a little bit.

.vip has only some activity in China but mostly based on hype meaning it has to crash sooner or later. outside China it is 100% dead not even hype.

•••
voice searches will not change anything, changing input method will not change domain preference, does not matter if you use your fingers or your mouth, wishful thinking at work here.

Siri will not save .horse.

word.word can be an alternative for wordword.com thus you would at best only double the supply of choices not more.

.com values will not be affected except for the very worst domains maybe.

nGTLDs are mostly kept alive by speculators ATM, nGTLD are overbought, even strings that are not registered in .com or don't make any sense in .com have been bought. When the Chinese pull out (50% of the market) the market will crash like a house of cards and when speculators leave there will be little left except for a few premiums that are registry reserved.
Voice search in future will change everything.

It will reduce spontaneous type-ins (which happen when people are typing directly keywords and attaching automatically .com to them in the address bar) dramatically imo - so .com domains which now drive lot of traffic (and well qualified traffic for that matter), will slowly loose this quality - and the traffic is very significant part of what makes these .com so valuable at the moment. This is all, it is not very complicated to understand :)

•••
Although in any commodity the price is manipulated by the big players, with pump and dumps (even in recessions), to make money out of the people who sell, you can anticipate that in their majority the price will rise in long term, to make the big players even richier. Like the value of US stocks, which is pumped 10% a year or US big banks 20% per year (so anyone can become a billionaire like Warren Buffet if he is willing to wait 70 years). Like the pumped price of top coms or top ngtlds. Or the like the pumped Bitcoin or Ethereum with at least 100% per year, so anyone can become a billionaire much quicker, in 20-40 years, if he starts with $1000.

•••
http://domainincite.com/6800-massive-group-forms-to-kill-off-new-gtlds

many brands don't want the new extensions. another myth busted. they are protecting themselves that's all.

If the ICANN program proceeds, CRIDO firmly believes, the loss of trust in Internet transactions will be substantial. In addition, the for profit and non-profit brand community will suffer from billions of dollars in unnecessary expenditures – money that could be better invested in product improvements, capital expenditures and job creation.

CRIDO’s members comprise 47 trade associations, most but not all American, and 40 companies, many of them major household names such as Coca-Cola, Burger King and Kellogg.

List includes companies like Dell, Ford, GE, Coca Cola, Nestle, Adobe and Samsung.

The corporate world never wanted them that is why they are unlikely to use them.

The World Federation of Advertisers has become the fifth major coalition of advertising big-spenders to ask ICANN to rethink its new gTLD program.

http://domainincite.com/6018-fifth-ad-group-opposes-new-gtlds

Last edited:
•••
the top sales in the past year.. the majority are not traffic sales i would say

hg.com 3,770,000 USD 2016-11-27 Pvt Sale
fly.com 2,890,000 USD 2017-04-04 Private
vivo.com 2,100,000 USD 2016-09-02 Private
01.com 1,820,000 USD 2017-01-29 VIP Brokerage
20.com 1,750,000 USD 2017-04-16 NameExperts
xxxvideos.com 1,368,000 USD 2016-11-20 Pvt Sale
la.com 1,200,000 USD 2016-05-08 Pvt Sale
yk.com 900,000 USD 2016-07-17 GetYourDomain
rate.com 725,000 USD 2016-05-29 Castello Brothers
997.com 688,888 USD 2016-11-20 Pvt Sale
da.com 650,000 USD 2016-09-25 DomainNameBroker
refi.com 500,000 USD 2017-03-12 Buckley Media Group
asset.com 406,000 USD 2017-03-26 Sharjil Saleem
broker.com 375,000 USD 2016-08-03 Sedo
aus.com 345,000 USD 2016-08-14 BQDN
promotion.com 315,000 USD 2016-07-17 Pvt Sale
advance.com 300,000 USD 2017-01-01 Buckley Media Group
quick.com 299,000 USD 2016-05-15 Heritage Auctions
single.com 290,000 USD 2017-01-23 NamesCon
3w.com 280,000 USD 2017-02-26 Guta.com
0123.com 252,500 USD 2016-10-05 Flippa
what.com 251,000 USD 2016-10-30 Indus Domains / NameKart
framer.com 250,000 USD 2017-01-15 Undeveloped
babygames.com 250,000 USD 2016-09-18 Nokta
5111.com 218,000 USD 2017-04-23 GoDaddy

•••
Nice discussion going on here mates, keep it coming.

@lolwarrior when we say that (the pink/bold line above), it is mostly for SEO domains, that are to be used for SEO purpose. Or for domains to be directly used by domain buyers, for website flipping and whatnot.

But when it comes to value'ing a domain, traffic doesn't always comes as a priority. It comes down to how relevant the domain is, and how easy it can be embedded to with the business.

Just my thoughts,
Oh definitely, I agree - I am not saying for ALL domains, I am saying it is key element of value for high class domains (for many of them)..of course, no objections towards the fact that it also has to suit particular business, etc, etc :)

•••
Every situation is different. Some nGTLD names can work excellent for niche marketing, direct sales, standing out in a crowded field (real estate, insurance sales) or other purpose driven areas.
.com is the leader and should always be considered an important part of your strategy.
End users might find it more appealing to get an excellent one or two word nGTLD at a small fraction of the .com price. Domainers might find it safer to invest in high quality .com domains which have a longer track record. Just look at the total cost of renewing 50 nGTLD vs. the acquisition of one excellent .com and you will see why most entrenched .com investors say focus on .com. Cheers.

•••
•••

Last edited:
•••
.com is like Google.
.net/.org are like Bing/yahoo

Others are like lycos, teoma, duckduckgo etc.

Now, you decide.

By the way, for how much LLLL domains with extensions like .NET, ORG, CO are selling?
@Smooth @Silentptnr

•••
I'll have to disagree on that one. Google, Justin Bieber, pretty big. Didn't ignite anything. Bieber got a .tattoo, which only had a little over 8,000 regs at peak, now down below 3,000 - https://ntldstats.com/tld/tattoo

Google got .xyz, that's dropping already and those penny drops are coming.

It's going to take hundreds/thousands of quality sites for people to see these. That's not happening.
You're right, but I was speaking more to domain investors...not so much end users.

•••
I have looked at this but I found this:
Application Criteria for GreatDomains Auction+
Application phase is April 21 - May 11.
Only generic and high-quality domains are eligible for auctions. Once you submit your domains, our brokerage team reviews these against our criteria. It is up to the discretion of our domain brokers whether your domain is accepted for the GreatDomains Auction+ (Domains under review cannot be put up for sale for about 3 - 5 days).

An application fee of $10 is charged for each domain that is submitted. This fee is non-refundable regardless of whether a domain is accepted or denied entry into the auction. An additional commission of 15% of the highest bid is charged for a successful auction sale.

01.png

Premium Domain Extension
The domain extension (TLD) of the domain is a premium TLD and has achieved high-priced sales in the past (such as .com, .net or .co.uk). New gTLDs cannot be submitted. This time, these will be provided directly from our registry partners.

@Silentptnr Please sent me some feedback if Sedo will accept any of your new gtld submissiions! Thanks!
I didn't see that! Thanks!

•••
If you want to EAT and MAKE money you stick to GOOD .com's
If you want to STARVE and LOSE money, keep registering everything else.
But Pigeonsh*t is Pigeonsh*t regardless of extension.
Good morning @Rick Schwartz :)

•••
Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

OMG... soooo funny but absolutely true

Even the so called domaining experts kick themselves once in a while because they did not get their hands dirty and lost out on a good one.

If I could give your post more than 1 like I surely would (y)(y)(y)(y)(y)

Haha, I try. Thanks

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back