Domain Empire

Hyphen?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

ckj11

Established Member
Impact
I have found domain that consists of 2 saleable words but they are split with a hyphen.
It is a .com domain, will the hyphen devalue the domain alot???

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Recently acquired hawaii-cruises.com

•••
•••
What do you think about the domain name Taxi-ads.com ?
Did you happen to look up search volume and CPC on those keywords??
I don't see any value in that one sorry.

Here's a golden nugget for you:
I bought this morning at Godaddy expired names: Litigation-Support dotcom
Here's why: registered back in 1996, search volume at 1000/month average and CPC: $8.74
Ohh another cool fact is that LitigationSupport dotcom was registered in 2000, after Litigation-Support ;)
There's a plethora of legal consulting firms in the US alone, so I am going to build a list of endusers and reach out to them until it sells.

Step 1: Do your research;
Step 2: have a plan to monetize the name;
Step 3: GRIND!! (reach out, cold call whatever you are comfortable with until you make the sale)

•••
Did you happen to look up search volume and CPC on those keywords??
I don't see any value in that one sorry.

Here's a golden nugget for you:
I bought this morning at Godaddy expired names: Litigation-Support dotcom
Here's why: registered back in 1996, search volume at 1000/month average and CPC: $8.74
Ohh another cool fact is that LitigationSupport dotcom was registered in 2000, after Litigation-Support ;)
There's a plethora of legal consulting firms in the US alone, so I am going to build a list of endusers and reach out to them until it sells.

Step 1: Do your research;
Step 2: have a plan to monetize the name;
Step 3: GRIND!! (reach out, cold call whatever you are comfortable with until you make the sale)

Thanks mate for your inputs !! :)

•••
I do not like hyphens. But some end users do use them.

-Omar

•••
•••
I have found domain that consists of 2 saleable words but they are split with a hyphen.
It is a .com domain, will the hyphen devalue the domain alot???
yes hyphen devalue a lot. but if your keywords are great then the domian does have some value indeed.
Also you must note that German love hyphened domains

•••
it has nothing to do with love

if words that are used unconnected normally

stand together and form a new word
that consists of 2 or more words thereafter

the natural way to write them in german is using a dash

thats all of the secrets

now go and get rich

Frank

and you may find them here:
http://F1lter.com

•••
I was always reluctant to buy these, although sometimes I think that, if the phrase is generally hyphenated anyway, or often is, then it makes sense.

I once reg'd "bi-polar.info" and regret not developing it (I just didn't have the time, although I have a background in Psychology). I now have "old-school.net" and am very happy with it. (The .org is a french entertainment/rock band site which again supports the Western Europe penchant for these names. In saying that, the .com is a developed US site so who knows!

Anyway - some interesting insights here into the plight-of-the-hyphenated-domain.

•••
my leg-exercises.com has been good to me ...

•••
Hyphenated keywords imo have value when used as part of your seo strategy for your business. I do not recommend it be the main websites url though.

•••
I sold c/l/o/u/d-s/e/c/u/re .com
For 200 a few days ago.
$2 godaddy coupon domain

•••
Hi guys,

What do you think Las-Vegas.com is worth?

Best,
Frans

•••
@URLU - There is an appraisal thread, if you need an appraisal.

•••
I sold BJ-I.com on Ebay for $42 last week. Definitely potential with hyphens.

•••
I rarely own a hyphen, but the couple I do are usually .com's and they are huge cpc values, and my biz model is never sell, we develop and fraction lease to end users a turnkey solution that includes managed PPC on my asset.

So my clients give google a ton of money, pay me a big % and they promote only my keywords, of which 99% are not hyphens.

For the first time in over 20 years we are actually liquidating some of our assets major mega billion buck industry keywords we own.

Our Biz account has them listed in make offers

Bill Collections .com is one
Food Service Provider .com is another

Not to jack this guys thread, but we think .com is king and no hyphens are best, but IF we need an asset for development we will register and develop a hyphen. Other than our liquidating a few domains recently, we never sell our assets even though for close to 18 years we have had an elite domain brokerage division where we proxy buy IP assets for big companies and we can sell the elite keyword assets to big public companies.

However 99.99% of domains are worthless IMO, not worth the reg fees.

Since we own so many keywords that are developed now, if a major IP asset isn't in our niche of what we actively run now, we have no use for it, so for the first time in over 20 years I'm actually selling some of my own portfolio.

It goes against everything I preach about Domains.

NEVER SELL
DEVELOP
FRACTION LEASE
MONETIZE
BRAND

But when you have 7 major industries you develop in and have clients in, what can you do with great assets in 1 off niches? So yeah, I'm selling legit major keywords .com

We dumped some 1 Geos recently and I love 1 Geos, but in that area we are now only doing 1 Cities

So states and countries are not in our development plans

i Prefix I'm a big fan of and I remember years ago before Apple did iphone and itunes and ipads/ipods and icloud the 'experts' mocking our i portfolio.

Now we are dumping stuff like i Business Loans .com for a lot of money, for one reason, we don't want to develop in that industry.

We do lots of development in:

Legal
Auto
Trades
Medical
Real Estate
Insurance
1 Cities

Yet we have some major keywords for

Banking/loans/mortgages
Food
Collections

No need to develop there so we're dumping them and many are very old reg's

Legal we have some hyphens but they will never be sold, they make too much money to sell.

I can literally earn 25K a month with just one hyphen from a major law firm.

Then when you realize I can stuff 500 law firms on it, why would I sell it?

A few times a year big execs at Lexis Nexis call to ask are you ready to sell, I say no, if I wanted to do legal big I would put my niece that graduated #1 at Cornell who is now with the top firm in the USA in front of my legal domains and raise enough dough in an IPO to buy Lexis Nexis.

You do not sell major assets, unless you are tired of owing something with no development plans.

So I develop where I want and now yeah, I'm violating my cardinal rule, selling major industry keywords for one reason, they're not in my niche of development and I develop in probably 65% of the major industries.

So, can I get a copy of your game plan ? I don't have 20 years to figure this out ;)
Thanks in advance.

•••
Hi guys,

Best,
Frans
It's a good domain! It has great potentials. Los-Angeles.com, New-York.com, on and on are all taken. All the best!

•••
Have you noticed JAPANESE domain owners love hyphenated dotcom domains. There is potential in it. If I bump into a great keyword domain that has a hyphen, I'd jump on it. eg, Money-Monkey.com
Peace!

•••
Hi guys,

Best,
Frans
Right about now it's worth a lawsuit TM below.
Filing Date August 27, 2015
Current Basis 1A
Original Filing Basis 1A
Published for Opposition January 19, 2016
Owner (APPLICANT) Las Vegas Convention and Visitors Authority STATE AGENCY NEVADA 3150 Paradise Road Las Vegas NEVADA 89109

LAS VEGAS
Goods and Services
IC 035. US 100 101 102. G & S: Promoting the Las Vegas, Nevada area as a destination for leisure and business travelers. FIRST USE: 20030416. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 20030416
Mark Drawing Code (3) DESIGN PLUS WORDS, LETTERS, AND/OR NUMBERS
Design Search Code 26.11.14 - Rectangles (three or more rectangles); Three or more rectangles
26.11.16 - Rectangles touching or intersecting
26.11.21 - Rectangles that are completely or partially shaded
26.17.13 - Letters or words underlined and/or overlined by one or more strokes or lines; Overlined words or letters; Underlined words or letters
Serial Number 86738811
Current Basis 1A
Original Filing Basis 1A
Owner (APPLICANT) Las Vegas Convention and Visitors Authority STATE AGENCY NEVADA 3150 Paradise Road Las Vegas NEVADA 89109
Attorney of Record Kelley Nyquist Goldberg
Prior Registrations 3212648;3212649;3839540
Description of Mark Color is not claimed as a feature of the mark. The mark consists of the words "LAS VEGAS" in stylized form where the letters "L", "A" and "S" are featured inside three shaded, overlapping rectangles above the word "VEGAS". The letters "EGA" of "VEGAS" are underlined.
Type of Mark SERVICE MARK
Register PRINCIPAL-2(F)
Live/Dead Indicator LIVE

•••
Have you noticed JAPANESE domain owners love hyphenated dotcom domains. There is potential in it. If I bump into a great keyword domain that has a hyphen, I'd jump on it. eg, Money-Monkey.com
Peace!
I have read hyphens are popular in Japan with numbers as well as words . The biggest problem with a hypen is TRADEMARKS. Be sure to check before purchase.

•••
I've always liked hyphens but never sold any however I couldn't let this slide since its 3n & big niche.

4-2-0.info

•••
I have read hyphens are popular in Japan with numbers as well as words . The biggest problem with a hypen is TRADEMARKS. Be sure to check before purchase.

Great point. Thanks for your input my friend.

•••
My new hyphen is a Ninja Face
~
0-0.ninja

•••
Right about now it's worth a lawsuit TM below.
Current Basis 1A
Original Filing Basis 1A

LAS VEGAS
Goods and Services
IC 035. US 100 101 102. G & S: Promoting the Las Vegas, Nevada area as a destination for leisure and business travelers. FIRST USE: 20030416. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 20030416
Mark Drawing Code (3) DESIGN PLUS WORDS, LETTERS, AND/OR NUMBERS
Design Search Code 26.11.14 - Rectangles (three or more rectangles); Three or more rectangles
26.11.16 - Rectangles touching or intersecting
26.11.21 - Rectangles that are completely or partially shaded
26.17.13 - Letters or words underlined and/or overlined by one or more strokes or lines; Overlined words or letters; Underlined words or letters
Serial Number 86738811
Current Basis 1A
Original Filing Basis 1A
Attorney of Record Kelley Nyquist Goldberg
Prior Registrations 3212648;3212649;3839540
Description of Mark Color is not claimed as a feature of the mark. The mark consists of the words "LAS VEGAS" in stylized form where the letters "L", "A" and "S" are featured inside three shaded, overlapping rectangles above the word "VEGAS". The letters "EGA" of "VEGAS" are underlined.
Type of Mark SERVICE MARK
Register PRINCIPAL-2(F)
Live/Dead Indicator LIVE

Wrong thread, but on this Las Vegas thing...

This was published for opposition just a couple weeks ago and isn't just the words:

They are very specifically trading marking the logo. Not the name of the city.

•••
Hi guys,

Best,
Frans

A hyphenated name like that is still worth a fair bit

I sold Las-Vegas.co for $1100 a while back

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back