Dynadot

Hyphen?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

ckj11

Established Member
Impact
I have found domain that consists of 2 saleable words but they are split with a hyphen.
It is a .com domain, will the hyphen devalue the domain alot???

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Yes, the hyphen is a real value killer.

•••
Yes..stay away from hyphens

•••
How bad is it? The domain without the hyphen is worth around 50k plus.
What will it be worth with the hyphen???
Cheers

•••
Hyphens are like ugly spots that take away a significant amount of value. Domains that have money keywords, but are separated with hyphens are mostly used for marketing ... back in the day when domain name keywords used to matter.

You have to wonder why the hyphen version of a 50K plus domain name isn't taken yet. Maybe you can work with it, but others didn't bother.

•••
I normally avoid hyphens, but against all odds im using a hyphen in my most recent project. In rare occasions they work. But in general avoid them.

•••
Depends on the term the hyphen is being added to.

For not-so well known terms, hyphens are not in demand.

A hyphen cannot change/ diminish the value of the domain itself. Think about... the domain already has a hyphen. :)

I guess it really depends on the term and it's popularity. There is definitely demand for strong terms with hyphens. The value of the term without the hyphen would hold more value than the term with one. But that is obvious.

Tell me that no one would want new-york.com:? I'd gladly take it. Nothing can kill it's value, as the domain is what it is. It's not newyork.com, but it is a strong domain that I would choose over some iffy non-hyphenated domain.

Where the term is iffy, adding a hyphen to it, makes it iffy-er.

•••
I only have two and loathe to let them go ......Black-Dress and White-Dress

•••
As others have said above, hyphens are value killers. However, if you can get a real good domain with two very popular keywords it might be worth enough to buy, but only if it's extremely cheap. If they are very high demand keywords and IN THE RIGHT ORDER, then don't bother.

•••
•••
•••
Ok so ive contacted the owner of the domain without the hyphen, he has a landing page to sell the domain.
He is asking £100k
surley the hyphen must be worth a couple of grand??

•••
Ok so ive contacted the owner of the domain without the hyphen, he has a landing page to sell the domain.
He is asking £100k
It's highly unlikely it's worth that much. Without knowing the word it will be unlikely to get an accurate estimate. Hyphen domains just aren't worth that much.

•••
Generally avoid.

While I have a few, I wouldn't expect to sell them at premium prices.

A developed domain with hyphens will lose some traffic to the non-hyphenated one.

•••
I've had 1 hyphen domain and it was a category killer. That thing sold for 1.2k.

•••
I've had 1 hyphen domain and it was a category killer. That thing sold for 1.2k.

Must have been a category killer!

:)

Anyway, in this biz, one cannot say "always" or "never" without being proven incorrect at some point.

•••
Must have been a category killer!

:)

Anyway, in this biz, one cannot say "always" or "never" without being proven incorrect at some point.

The non-hyphenated version would have been worth 6-figures without question. :)

•••

What was it??

I just bought my first hyphenated domain. I had to think about it for hours but, I ultimately convinced my self that I would develop it, lol. :alien2:

•••
What was it??

I just bought my first hyphenated domain. I had to think about it for hours but, I ultimately convinced my self that I would develop it, lol. :alien2:

Hard-Drive.com.

I would advise against developing a hyphenated domain. You leak too much traffic.

•••
•••
My hyphenated domains...
Cheap-Domain-Name(.)com
Free-Domain-Name-Registration(.)com - 5,400 exact monthly searches in Google
Domain-Name-Is-For-Sale(.)com
Domain-Names-4-Sale(.)com
This-Domain-Name-For-Sale(.)com
This-Domain-4-Sale(.)com

•••
He is asking £100k

Just because hes hes asking $100k, doesn't mean its worth that much, there are a lot of deluded people out there, check ebay for ridiculous names with a $2,000,000 price tags

I wonder the why the non-hyphenated names is still for sale????

•••
Hard-Drive.com.

I would advise against developing a hyphenated domain. You leak too much traffic.

Oh, not bad at all! Great work!

I agree that it's ill-advised but, I couldn't help it. I really like hacky domains... :P

•••
Some companies actually brand their two word company name with a hyphen and usually own the non-hyphen as well.

For SEO it doesn't matter, so for that they are great.

For PPC QS scores they are great and get an owner reduced PPC fees.

One of my top money makers is a three word hyphen on a term where the CPC is now is over 100 bucks and thousands look for this 3 word term every day and top earning professionals line up at adwords to buy the term, literally hundreds of major professionals are in line in all the top cities waiting to give google 100+ bucks a click. So IMO if the term has volumes of lookers and high CPC value, it's a no brainer, it's worth a lot if you develop it.

For maximum 'domain' value the non-hyphen is hands down the top value IP asset, but for development, it makes no difference other than the hyphen costs a lot less and they used to be easy to hand reg.

Now developers know hyphens are just as good as no hyphen.

•••
Some companies actually brand their two word company name with a hyphen and usually own the non-hyphen as well.

For SEO it doesn't matter, so for that they are great.

For PPC QS scores they are great and get an owner reduced PPC fees.

One of my top money makers is a three word hyphen on a term where the CPC is now is over 100 bucks and thousands look for this 3 word term every day and top earning professionals line up at adwords to buy the term, literally hundreds of major professionals are in line in all the top cities waiting to give google 100+ bucks a click. So IMO if the term has volumes of lookers and high CPC value, it's a no brainer, it's worth a lot if you develop it.

For maximum 'domain' value the non-hyphen is hands down the top value IP asset, but for development, it makes no difference other than the hyphen costs a lot less and they used to be easy to hand reg.

Now developers know hyphens are just as good as no hyphen.

If your primary source of traffic is from Google.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back