IT.COM

HugeDomains.com picked up my name (.com)

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

jdab

Jamie DąbrowieckiTop Member
Impact
A few years back I used jamiedabrowiecki.com as my website's domain - as no-one could spell it, I shortened it to jdab.co.uk.

I let the domain expire (not sure why), and it seems that HugeDomains.com picked it up and are offering it as a 'premium' name!

I wish them all the best in selling it as I'm the only Jamie Dabrowiecki on the planet!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
If you're based in UK why don't get jdab.uk instead for the time being? I'm pretty sure hugedomains will let go of your original domain and you'll grab it later.

•••
They picked up one of my drops about a decade ago. They've been trying to get tens of thousands of dollars for it ever since.

Hope they get a deal on renewal fees.

•••
They picked all domains and my domain too
Sverhestestvennoe.com
Can you pronounce it?

btw happy birthday @jdab

Last edited:
•••
Are most of their pickups and their domain pricing automated? Due to the sheer number of domains they get, they do have a lot of great domains in their portfolio. But there are probably even more of them that don't make any sense, and the price difference in each keyword category usually have little relation to the quality (i.e. the best name they have for sale in a certain category might be priced at $2000).

•••
iws.png

•••
sometimes names sell because of "who" owns them

where the "looker" may be impressed because HG or BD or some other celeb's name is in whois.

typically, this sets the buyer up to pay a premium price.

imo....

•••
Is it possible they're purposely targeting peoples portfolios.. Seeing what they let go and so forth..

•••
A few years back I used jamiedabrowiecki.com as my website's domain - as no-one could spell it, I shortened it to jdab.co.uk.

I let the domain expire (not sure why), and it seems that HugeDomains.com picked it up and are offering it as a 'premium' name!

I wish them all the best in selling it as I'm the only Jamie Dabrowiecki on the planet!

Can't you just demand that they surrender it to you? They have no legitimate use for it.

•••
@stub would come handy to comment - his domains get picked up most of the times by Hugedomains.

•••
they suck up so many names every day, lots of crap comes with it.

•••
Believe it or not, I was once forced to allow RandyPendleton.com to drop. It was picked up,offered for a lot,wasn't sold, dropped, then I picked it back up. These things happen

•••
lol they pick up just anything and price it for everyone hoping to sell it!

•••
Look like they assume one day @jdab will acquire this domain from them.

•••
I might have to set up a Jamie Dabrowiecki fan site - how much are they asking for the domain?

•••
The only thing worse than having Huge Domains pick up your drops is not having Huge Domains pick up your drops:)

•••
Since some people learn visually, this graphic has been made

image.jpg

•••
•••

You never know if you are the ONLY Jamie Dabrowiecki on the planet, just that maybe you are the only one that can be easily found.

i_will_find_you.jpg

•••
If you're based in UK why don't get jdab.uk instead for the time being? I'm pretty sure hugedomains will let go of your original domain and you'll grab it later.
I already own jdab.uk :)

Can't you just demand that they surrender it to you? They have no legitimate use for it.
I doubt that's possible :P

Look like they assume one day @jdab will acquire this domain from them.
In their dreams :P

I might have to set up a Jamie Dabrowiecki fan site - how much are they asking for the domain?
$2.7K hahahaha

*opens wallet* *blows away dust*

You never know if you are the ONLY Jamie Dabrowiecki on the planet, just that maybe you are the only one that can be easily found.

i_will_find_you.jpg
That is true - and thankyou!

•••
•••
@jdab - Sounds like jlo :) So a Google exact search provides 2120 searches. If they are all you. You've been a busy boy :) I hope the cops are not looking for you :)

@webm - It's true. HD pick up between 20-30% of all the domains I drop. I would value most of those domains not to be worth paying the renewal or redemption fees for. The smart buyers are picking some up some of them at expiring auctions. So they are probably getting the cream of the crop. I'm just happy to drop them 99% of the time. Of course HD picking them up and slapping $2k+ price tags on them, is dreaming, imho. But I did actually sell a domain before I checked if I still owned it. It was for sale at HD. So I bought it back and sold it at a loss to the buyer. But I'm sure that's not HD's strategy. I don't know whether their pickups are automated or not. I get the "feeling" that it is manual. They probably did buy the domain to sell it to jdab.

On a broader comment on HD's strategy. Picking up domains which drop for about $8 a pop and slapping $2K-$10k unrealistic prices on them. They have 350,000 domains according to their website. x$8 renewal is $2.8M running costs, plus overhead. So they need to sell approx 2k domains a year @$2k each just to break even. Which is about 40 domains/week. From that you can do your own maths if you disagree with my assumptions. Since DropCatch just tripled down on the number of registrars they own, I assume it's a profitable business for them.

Although I don't agree with TurnCommerce's policies, I admire them for what they have carved out for themselves, in this competitive market. They've brought a breath of fresh air into the marketplace, and captured dramatic market share, in drop catching, at least. It's the "American Dream" actually working. Mark my prediction that I think both SnapNames and NameJet will move to an open auction model because they are capturing less domains (because of DC) and they are capping their income even further with the closed auction model. An open auction model would maximize their income. Which is why DC will never change their open auction model.

Every time I visit HD, I think I should quadruple my selling prices.

Last edited:
•••
•••
Sometimes I wonder : is there something that HD DOESN'T pick up?

•••
Mark my prediction that I think both SnapNames and NameJet will move to an open auction model because they are capturing less domains (because of DC) and they are capping their income even further with the closed auction model.

I guess anything is possible, but IMO the biggest beneficiary of such a move would be dropcatch. They probably pray daily that namejet and snapnames follow their lead and switch to an open auction model so that the one advantage that customers currently have by dealing with those two will be eliminated. The best way for NJ and SN to get a bigger piece of the pie is not by degrading their service as you describe, but by improving it ( e.g. by increasing their capture rates ).

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back