Dynadot

HugeDomains.com picked up my name (.com)

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

jdab

Jamie DąbrowieckiTop Member
Impact
A few years back I used jamiedabrowiecki.com as my website's domain - as no-one could spell it, I shortened it to jdab.co.uk.

I let the domain expire (not sure why), and it seems that HugeDomains.com picked it up and are offering it as a 'premium' name!

I wish them all the best in selling it as I'm the only Jamie Dabrowiecki on the planet!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Check: andy brock in king. I couldn't sell it, and they will have hard time selling it. Wonder if they'll let it go and cut their losses. Expires today.

•••
@discobull - Interesting thought. Only time will tell whose prediction is right :)

•••
I’ve heard of a few people having the same experience as you where they will drop a domain and have Huge Domains pick it up to try and sell it for 4-5 figures.

The thing that gets me is on the surface you would think this method is foolish but if they have been doing this for so long then one would think it must be profitable otherwise they wouldn't continue doing it.

I wonder just how profitable it really is...

•••
@robert_jones - I would say it's quite profitable since they just tripled the amount of Registrars knocking on Verisign's door when a domain drops. Even 1 registrar is beyond my financial resources :)

•••
Surely, through the sheer volume they capture from drops, there would be some that would, indeed, sell at the crazy prices they are quoting for?

•••
I think even on their website they imply that if you make an offer, the price always goes up, not down, since you are interested in the domain. I think for sure they get quite a few end-users paying these kind of prices. After all, that's exactly the client they are looking for.

•••
Wow. This is completely ridiculous. The HugeDomains founder, Andrew Reberry, has a namepros account. He should have to answer for this. This is blatant cybersquatting. There is federal legislation against it.

Regarding the law
"It makes people who register domain names that are either trademarks or individual's names with the sole intent of selling the rights of the domain name to the trademark holder or individual for a profit liable to civil action."

•••
•••
This is weird, who would buy this domain from them? jamiedabrowiecki.com O.o

•••
Is it possible they're purposely targeting peoples portfolios.. Seeing what they let go and so forth..
They definitely target known domainer portfolios, not that I fault them for it but it is obvious they grab a lot of names not because of the domain quality but because of who dropped it.

•••
Just to update you, the NameBright team (the registrar where said domain is at) saw this thread and reached out to me - they are transferring the domain to me free of charge :)

•••
Mark my prediction that I think both SnapNames and NameJet will move to an open auction model because they are capturing less domains (because of DC) and they are capping their income even further with the closed auction model. An open auction model would maximize their income. Which is why DC will never change their open auction model.

Agreed, it would be stupid for them not to; especially as 'domaining' becomes more mainstream. Get your names, hold on tight, quote $200k every time.

•••
Snapnames and Namejet will never be like Dropcatch. What makes SN and NJ successful right now is the closed auction platform, if they became a open auction platform like Dropcatch then Dropcatch will easily beat them to most of the good names. If all three had the same platform then why would you use SN or NJ when Dropcatch will be the one most likely to get the name. Unless these two improve their catch performance they will never ever try to compete with Dropcatch. They will always stay a closed platform because they can't compete.

•••
@hookbox - Forgive me about disagreeing with you here. But SN/NJ are hardly successful with their closed auction model for acquired dropped domains, because they have lost a large chunk of their market share, to DC because of the number of registrars they own/control.

Where they remain successful is in a space that DC doesn't occupy, which is their Pre-Release orders. Which IMHO, is the place domainers should be because it's the first bite of the cherry in the drop process. Of course you have to deal with domainers deciding to renew their domains based on the popularity of their domains in the Pre-Release process. But nothing is perfect. The best dropping domains are picked up in these Pre-Release auctions, not in dropped domain auctions, IMHO. As always, there will be exceptions.

Last edited:
•••
@hookbox - Forgive me about disagreeing with you here. But SN/NJ are hardly successful with their closed auction model for acquired dropped domains, because they have lost a large chunk of their market share, to DC because of the number of registrars they own/control.

Where they remain successful is in a space that DC doesn't occupy, which is their Pre-Release orders. Which IMHO, is the place domainers should be because it's the first bite of the cherry in the drop process. Of course you have to deal with domainers deciding to renew their domains based on the popularity of their domains in the Pre-Release process. But nothing is perfect. The best dropping domains are picked in these Pre-Release auctions, not in dropped domain auctions, IMHO.
You're totally right Stub. I was including them all on a level playing field when they clearly aren't.

•••
Just to update you, the NameBright team (the registrar where said domain is at) saw this thread and reached out to me - they are transferring the domain to me free of charge :)

That's good news. Are you going to drop it again next year? :)

•••
That's good news. Are you going to drop it again next year? :)
No, going to add auto-renew to it! Not sure why I dropped it in the first place :P

•••

...I dunno, but that is definitely a professional courtesy that was extended to you that should be appreciated.
For me, at least, it puts NameBright in a rather positive light.

Good pr by the team, indeed and they should be recognized for it as few would do that...

•••
No, going to add auto-renew to it! Not sure why I dropped it in the first place :P

...renew is good. Lesson learned...

•••
...I dunno, but that is definitely a professional courtesy that was extended to you that should be appreciated.
For me, at least, it puts NameBright in a rather positive light.

Good pr by the team, indeed and they should be recognized for it as few would do that...
Definitely - big thanks to @Rebies!

•••
nice of namebright to help. but I think you're overlooking the cooperation of the domain owner ...... HugeDomains.

•••
nice of namebright to help. but I think you're overlooking the cooperation of the domain owner ...... HugeDomains.

...I agree, several parties involved in the effort...

•••
Nice to see some ethics in the domain game - for a change !

•••
they're the same people...

•••
they're the same people...

Same owners but different operatives. It definitely needed the involvement the top management to get this done. Here's a shout out to @Rebies.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back