IT.COM

question How Old Were You When You Started Domaining?

NameSilo
Watch

Billy Wagner

Nameplicity.comTop Member
Impact
Hey Guys,

Just curious as to what age you where when you discovered/started domaining. I was 25, but wish I would have been around 18 or 19 when I started. I would have much more knowledge, not to mention more money (hopefully!) than I do now.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
My first domain reg was a .com back in 2002 when i was 18 years old.

•••
•••
Well, I was 16 when I joined NamePros more than a decade ago.
Bought my first domain when I was 14, if I recall correctly.
So, while the extent of it has of course increased over time, at 27 I've essentially been domaining for roughly half my life. D-:

Last edited:
•••
I started when I was 17 in high school. I am in my 30's now.

•••
Well, I was 16 when I joined NamePros more than a decade ago.
Bought my first domain when I was 14, if I recall correctly.
So, while the extent of it has of course increased over time, at 27 I've essentially been domaining for roughly half my life. D-:

That's awesome!!! You must be rolling in the dough. :-D

I started when I was 17 in high school. I am in my 30's now.

You must be rolling in the dough as well! :-D

Were either of you two able to reg any "stellar" domains? Seems like when you guys started there were still a few gold nuggets out there.

•••
•••

I'm sure your aged experience has saved you more money that the younger group of new domainers. I know my first 20 or so domains were horrible.

•••
Were either of you two able to reg any "stellar" domains? Seems like when you guys started there were still a few gold nuggets out there.
No. I spent most of that time registering garbage, but I learned and now make more than anyone else I know. :xf.wink:

•••
No. I spent most of that time registering garbage, but I learned and now make more than anyone else I know. :xf.wink:

Nice! If only we could all go back in time..........

•••
•••
You must be rolling in the dough. :-D

Ha - one would think! But one thing I've learned over the years is that it's not as easy as it sounds, especially once you account for the time invested, taxes, etc. Thankfully I enjoy it and it's essentially a profitable hobby for me.

•••
I'm sure your aged experience has saved you more money that the younger group of new domainers. I know my first 20 or so domains were horrible.

I didn't go over board, but I did reg a few duds when I started. That was the first time I went online at 42, then heard quickly about domains, through google adds.

•••
•••
33, now at 35 I'm back at college doing web development

•••
•••
I was 21 when I have sold my first domain name. I bought it at 20yo for $8 and then sold before expiration date for $251.

Back then CVCV VCVC and 5L .com was alearady a trend!

Now I am 27.

•••
I was 21 when I have sold my first domain name. I bought it at 20yo for $8 and then sold before expiration date for $251.

Back then CVCV VCVC and 5L .com was alearady a trend!

Now I am 27.

NICE!!!! Make a few hundred dollars in a year right out of the gate must have been awesome!

Any change you'd share the domain name?

•••
NICE!!!! Make a few hundred dollars in a year right out of the gate must have been awesome!

Any change you'd share the domain name?

Sure, It was Ristorantes. I'd call it a brandable beacause Ristorante is a word but not Ristorantes.

Then I had fun reinvesting the profit into some 4L and CCC.com and eventually got a 3L .com that I've recently sold for 3 times profit. Now I am back into brandable domains

•••
We all want to go back and hit the gold.

I wish I had started domaining when I was 8 so I could've reg'd something that people ignored like afx.com or something.

Would've gone back for the bitcoins thing too :).

but I think large gold rushes happen in domaining all the time. Just last year the CHIPs thing made people millionaires.

What's next? Ar? Vr? Mr? Waifus? Only time will tell :D

•••
•••
We all want to go back and hit the gold.

I wish I had started domaining when I was 8 so I could've reg'd something that people ignored like afx.com or something.

Would've gone back for the bitcoins thing too :).

but I think large gold rushes happen in domaining all the time. Just last year the CHIPs thing made people millionaires.

What's next? Ar? Vr? Mr? Waifus? Only time will tell :D

Yeah, when I bought my 3L .com I was also looking at some 2L .com going for $80,000! I tried everything I could to get one but.... $80,000 is hard to get so fast. I knew it was going to worth over $250,000.. But I got a 3L and sold it this summer.

The thing is, when you hear something at the tv or from a friend... it's probably to late. Buy low sell high.

•••
•••
The first domain I registered was for like $99 for 2 years through NetSol in 1999 when I was ~12 under my mom's name. It was a pain in the ass and I believe it was paid with a money order or check (I can't really recall the details on that one). If I had only known what domaining would turn into from then... :-$

The subsequent domains I used for personal use and development were in 2001, 2003, and 2004 through a local company (a couple miles down the road) known as Dotster (at that time, they were fantastic). All of my pre/teen year domains are taken by domain companies (like HugeDomains, etc.) and GoDaddy even owns one with their portfolio purchase from Michael Berkens. I'd like them back as mementos, but, not going to pay thousands for sub-par names... Took a hiatus to join the military in 2005 and started seriously back again in late 2008.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back