Dynadot

question How Old Were You When You Started Domaining?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Billy Wagner

Nameplicity.comTop Member
Impact
Hey Guys,

Just curious as to what age you where when you discovered/started domaining. I was 25, but wish I would have been around 18 or 19 when I started. I would have much more knowledge, not to mention more money (hopefully!) than I do now.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Well, I was 16 when I joined NamePros more than a decade ago.
Bought my first domain when I was 14, if I recall correctly.
So, while the extent of it has of course increased over time, at 27 I've essentially been domaining for roughly half my life. D-:

Last edited:
•••
The first domain I registered was for like $99 for 2 years through NetSol in 1999 when I was ~12 under my mom's name. It was a pain in the ass and I believe it was paid with a money order or check (I can't really recall the details on that one). If I had only known what domaining would turn into from then... :-$

The subsequent domains I used for personal use and development were in 2001, 2003, and 2004 through a local company (a couple miles down the road) known as Dotster (at that time, they were fantastic). All of my pre/teen year domains are taken by domain companies (like HugeDomains, etc.) and GoDaddy even owns one with their portfolio purchase from Michael Berkens. I'd like them back as mementos, but, not going to pay thousands for sub-par names... Took a hiatus to join the military in 2005 and started seriously back again in late 2008.

•••
Were either of you two able to reg any "stellar" domains? Seems like when you guys started there were still a few gold nuggets out there.
No. I spent most of that time registering garbage, but I learned and now make more than anyone else I know. :xf.wink:

•••
Started first domains in 1995. I was 26. However, did not get heavily involved until 2003.

Had first girlfriend. Girlfriend left because she said I loved domain and technology more than her. I couldn't agree more. I couldn't blame her. I was bidding on domain auctions even when I was half asleep with pizza slide falling to the way side.

I told her even before I leave this world, my hand would reached out of the coffin and fingers would probably be clicking on the mouse... bidding on that last domain. Then I can happily say farewell. She left with a pair of wide eyes. Until this day, still probably have no idea what the heck I was talking about.

Second girl friend gave me ultimatum that it's either her or else. I opted for "else" and here I am in year 2016, posting to this thread with you nice folks, my fellow domainers :)

Oh the good old memories. By the way. What a fun topic. Kudos to the host.

Last edited:
•••
I started when I was 17 in high school. I am in my 30's now.

•••
You must be rolling in the dough. :-D

Ha - one would think! But one thing I've learned over the years is that it's not as easy as it sounds, especially once you account for the time invested, taxes, etc. Thankfully I enjoy it and it's essentially a profitable hobby for me.

•••
33, now at 35 I'm back at college doing web development

•••
I was 21 when I have sold my first domain name. I bought it at 20yo for $8 and then sold before expiration date for $251.

Back then CVCV VCVC and 5L .com was alearady a trend!

Now I am 27.

•••
We all want to go back and hit the gold.

I wish I had started domaining when I was 8 so I could've reg'd something that people ignored like afx.com or something.

Would've gone back for the bitcoins thing too :).

but I think large gold rushes happen in domaining all the time. Just last year the CHIPs thing made people millionaires.

What's next? Ar? Vr? Mr? Waifus? Only time will tell :D

Yeah, when I bought my 3L .com I was also looking at some 2L .com going for $80,000! I tried everything I could to get one but.... $80,000 is hard to get so fast. I knew it was going to worth over $250,000.. But I got a 3L and sold it this summer.

The thing is, when you hear something at the tv or from a friend... it's probably to late. Buy low sell high.

•••
i registered my first domain in 1999 ,, bought many good names from 2000 to 2004 and sold all before left domaining in 2007 and back again buy/sell from 2008 tel 2016

•••
32....im 34 now:( like many i wish i would have started sooner

•••
I started domaining around 3 years back, when I was 23 years old and sold first domain on the same month for $99.

Surprising and memorable thing is.. I sold my first domain in Oct-2013 and that too on my birth date.

•••
•••
My first domain reg was a .com back in 2002 when i was 18 years old.

•••
•••
No. I spent most of that time registering garbage, but I learned and now make more than anyone else I know. :xf.wink:

Nice! If only we could all go back in time..........

•••
•••
•••
•••
•••
Started about 10 years ago.. I was 32. Regged. mostly crap, but sold a few for low x,xxx. I was hooked! Had a family and took about a 6 yr hiatus. Back at it now as a profitable side hobby. Mostly shortly short, brandables.

•••
Developed a site in 1999. But started domaining in 2014 (36).

•••
I started domaining at age 20(2013).

Before i started domaining i was an internet marketer that blogging on blogspot, lol.
Now the time has changed to the .com era.

•••
I started domaining this year and I am 18 now.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back