Domain Empire

How OLD were you when you got into domaining?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

How OLD were you when you got into domaining?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • <17

votes
    46.9%
  • 18 - 25

votes
    21.4%
  • 26 - 35

votes
    18.9%
  • 36 - 45

votes
    9.2%
  • 46 - 55

votes
    2.6%
  • 55+

votes
    1.0%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

Hello folks :)

I thought this would be an interesting thread. I know there have been polls on age etc, But I don't recall a thread about how old you were when you got into domaining. :tri:

Wasn't quite sure which forum to put this in. So if it's in the wrong forum then Admin/Mods..would you kindly move :)

I'll start it off..
I was 15 when I got into domaining. ;)

And sorry, If I happened not to include YOUR age group :tri: :p

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I was about 14 at that time :)

•••
I started in mid 2002. I was 25

•••
i started in 2001 with http://getawebpagename.com which is not a player but consistant, I was 27-28 at the time and have had hundreds of domains since then, glad i never made it into the thousands like alot, I would be even crazier now :laugh:

•••
Must have been 12 or 13. I do remember everything being so hard to understand.

•••
I started basically two years ago. I'm 18 now.

•••
dsotmoon said:
i started in 2001 with http://getawebpagename.com which is not a player but consistant, I was 27-28 at the time and have had hundreds of domains since then, glad i never made it into the thousands like alot, I would be even crazier now :laugh:
lol, exactly why I've slowed down recently..I'm at around 40..Don't see how those with thousands do it. You may say that 40 is not alot. But it is to me, lol. They are at so many registrars, it's hard to keep track. :p

•••
Humdizzy said:
I started at 13. I knew about domains since I was 12, but had no way to buy them.

Same here! I am still 13.

•••
I started my domain biz at the age of 15 though i havent made remarkable growth in the industry. I am experiencing some drawbacks, mainly bcos of the country i live in

•••
glad i never made it into the thousands like alot, I would be even crazier now
This brings up an interesting subject.

I know several domain name dev/marketers, mostly NP members, who run "one man band" operations, and who handle portfolios w/ 1000+ domains, very well. I made a recent sale to a fellow who manages 10,000+ domains by himself! From what I've surmised, most of the individuals who have built up large porfolios, have done so based upon past, (and continued), success, which hasgiven them the confidence, and has bought or leveraged them the time, and additional resources required to acquire more, (and higher quality), names, which, in turn, has led to more and higher ticket sales which has perpetuated additional growth. Excluding the business models of the independently wealthy, (individuals who, usually, are astute domain traders and businessmen in their own right), this is the business model to follow, for those who approach domain name trading as a serious, money making enterprise. Success breeds and builds upon success.

Some of those who have made the cut, and who are still here to tell their stories and have not fallen by the wayside, will tell you that they got lucky early on, (or were lucky to have gotten in, early on), but I don't buy that. Although getting into the market early would have it's definite advantages, many of the successful domainers in our midst, w/ 1000+ names, have only been at it for a relatively short 2-3 years, and those who did get in "early", didn't come into a marketplace devoid of competition. They came in w/ talents and abilities that set them apart, that enabled them to make the $xx,xxx sale and/or the multitude of mid $xxx/$x,xxx sales that justified and encouraged their 1000+ name porfolios.

The majority of us, (myself included), haven't put it all together, yet, to the point, where we are successfully negotiating and closing the $xx,xxx sales or achieving the consistent flow of mid $xxx - $xxxx+ sales, that, IMHO, are necessary to justify the massive portfolios. Although I have goals of accomplishng this, and did jump into domains in a "big" way, (at one point, I had 1500+ domains regged which is big by my standards), I have been taking the, (unexciting), path towards moderation, and have been methodically trimming back and selling off or dropping names that I have pegged in the lower brackets, (this, believe me, can be a tough process!), in an effort to lower overhead and make income balance out better w/ expenses, (although, I am in the black, I would like to be "more" in the black- hehe), and to make management less "crazy". I have also found myself putting more energy into development work and have deemphasized hunting down income based on "pure" name speculation. That's just my approach and my2C on large portfolios and their context.

I know that I'm running O/T here, so forgive, but the comment inspired me to respond. :gl:

Last edited:
•••
30 :), that was 9 years ago in 1998 when I registered my first domain

•••
I believe this thread has reached it's peak. D-: One last bump. Just for the hell of it. :D

•••
I got in when I was:
Too o-o--o-o--o-old
to rock 'n roll oh oh (NEVER!)
and too young to die. :laugh:

•••
Now i am 18+ and i am still hanging around

•••
I started when i was 14 :)

Start young, work hard, go far! :tu:

•••
Sabre said:

:) lol, WoW, bring out My old, tired out thread :p Thanks Tom.

•••
Sabre said:

Ha I am 14 and I am just starting now too.

•••
SecondVersion said:
:) lol, WoW, bring out My old, tired out thread :p Thanks Tom.

Speaking of old and tired. I added one vote to that category. ;)

•••
I started at 13 (still 13 too:p)

•••
2 years ago = when i was 16

•••
A few months ago and I'm 19.

•••
When I was 18 years and few months old :)

•••
My God, it looks like nAMEg0s\/ is being overun by DonAMEBopperz! Problem is, most of the nAMEBopperz no more codez and h4xx, then I du! Hey d00ds, b nice 2 me wen I go down 2 tie WebDev and Code areas to ask ??'s, n pleeeeez!!!! knot t00 much l33t5PR@K. Itz awredy hard nuff on thiz ol' hippy, tryin 2 play ketchup w/ joo doods, w/ codez n al tie l33t stuff.

0well... Pass eleventyone so itz dreemtiem :zzz: 4me- b k00l d00ds n donut f4git 2 r0x0r j00r b0x0rz!!!!!!! w00t!!!! :yell: 8-X B-)

Last edited:
•••
13 years old when I started web-designing
15 years old when I bought my first top level domain :)

•••
Grrilla said:
My God, it looks like nAMEg0s\/ is being overun by DonAMEBopperz! Problem is, most of the nAMEBopperz no more codez and h4xx, then I du! Hey d00ds, b nice 2 me wen I go down 2 tie WebDev and Code areas to ask ??'s, n pleeeeez!!!! knot t00 much l33t5PR@K. Itz awredy hard nuff on thiz ol' hippy, tryin 2 play ketchup w/ joo doods, w/ codez n al tie l33t stuff.

0well... Pass eleventyone so itz dreemtiem 4me- b k00l d00ds n donut f4git 2 r0x0r j00r b0x0rz!!!!!!! w00t!!!!
:lol: All I have to say, lmao..

•••
Grrilla said:

0well... Pass eleventyone so itz dreemtiem :zzz: 4me- b k00l d00ds n donut f4git 2 r0x0r j00r b0x0rz!!!!!!! w00t!!!! :yell: 8-X B-)

Inglis, por favor. :)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back