Dynadot .com transfer sale, only $10.12 with coupon code DYNA12, available while supplies last, ends October 31, 2026.

What did YOU do before domaining?

Namecheap AuctionsNamecheap Auctions
SpaceshipSpaceship
SpaceshipSpaceship
Watch

DomainVP

DomainVP.comTop Member
Impact
12,015
Many online gurus, and their loyal following, seem to be oblivious about the core process of domaining.

You would think that people that are most interested in being online would be experts at this by now.

Conversely, I see a lot of domainers that are successful yet have almost no technical skills one would need to develop websites.

Which brings me to my question... what did you do before you got into domaining, and how were you introduced to the domain investment world.
 
9
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
GoDaddyGoDaddy
I played counter strike for 4 hours.. 4 hours of AOE... ate for 3 hours...day dream of getting rich for 3 hours and then slept for 10 hours...then domaining happened and now I day dream for 7 hours..now i dont play AOE..
 
9
•••
Worked in the videogame industry, it is brutal. Crunch time is real.
 
9
•••
Web Design // Audio Engineer // Sales
 
12
•••
consultant for an energy sector

Planning on starting a company in the future. TBA

@STP poker paid my bills+ while in University :)

I'll add, I got into domaining / basic web development while injured / waiting for surgery in 2013/14. It's an interesting and complex abstract industry "i really like it" . Cant wait to geek it out at a Namescon conference someday.
 
Last edited:
10
•••
Graphic designer and print shop manager.

Unfortunately still doing it, at least until I hit my stride with domaining ;)
 
8
•••
I used to work with British Council Division, High Commission in New Delhi. I left my job in 2013 when I had my baby and started to look for work from home jobs. While searching for one of them I stumbled upon an article which was on domaining. I was fascinated and decided to get into this field. I have learned a lot from different blogs and articles on the net and then finally got acquainted with someone who asked me to join this forum. I must say it's an amazing platform and I have learned so much in such a short duration. I still do freelancing and manage my blog along with domaining and learning a lot along the way :)
 
Last edited:
13
•••
Logo designer...
 
7
•••
Worked at vodafone > :Liberty Reserve Exchange site > BTC Trading > BTC Gambling > Worked at HDFC bank > Recently worked at E-commerce company > now i'm tired and i'm doing my stuff .. living for my self
 
11
•••
I actually started domaining when I was still teaching, and I even talked a bit about domaining in the classroom. (Blank stares, LOL)

When I talk to people today I still get blank stares.

It's those blank stares that means this industry still has a lot of value left and room for profit.
 
7
•••
Israel Defence Force

I went bankrupt due to really low salary.. And I have plenty of free time - So im trying to take advantage of that..
 
10
•••
After graduating from university, I worked six months in a bank, then seven years in one of the biggest companies in the tobacco industry as sales manager.

4 years ago I decided to do something completely different to rest of a constant phone calls and meetings with clients and started working as a truck driver, even went to live in another country 3,000 kilometers away from home, at the same time I have a small company that aims to help drivers.

Already about a year deal with domains and think I will stay in this business, I already have plans to turn it into something more serious than a hobby for leisure.
 
Last edited:
7
•••
I'm training to hopefully turn pro in my sport this year or next. Hopefully you'll all see me on TV some time in the future! Designing websites and tutoring advanced mathematics to make ends meet. Also got eight names on BrandBucket, so when those sell that'll be a great help financially.
 
8
•••
I'm training to hopefully turn pro in my sport this year or next. Hopefully you'll all see me on TV some time in the future! Designing websites and tutoring advanced mathematics to make ends meet. Also got eight names on BrandBucket, so when those sell that'll be a great help financially.

What sport ?
 
2
•••
7
•••
Audio Engineer | Record Label manager.
 
8
•••
@STP poker paid my bills+ while in University :)

@McDuke Nice :) I lived from poker for a few years but got tired of all the grind and lifestyle. Had a friend who is a developer and he showed me a few things about domains/websites which I liked because at some level it looked very similar to poker. But I gotta admit, I still have no idea how to develop a domain by myself. :guilty:
 
5
•••
Boyfriend, Husband, Father in that order.
 
10
•••
I was active duty military when I found domaining, I seen JTG.com sell on ebay for like 4-5k, which are my initials so it piqued my interest. I've been doing it full-time now since 2007 when I was discharged.
 
6
•••
@McDuke Nice :) I lived from poker for a few years but got tired of all the grind and lifestyle. Had a friend who is a developer and he showed me a few things about domains/websites which I liked because at some level it looked very similar to poker. But I gotta admit, I still have no idea how to develop a domain by myself. :guilty:

Yeah grinding 8-12 tables for 8-12 hours / day gets old, the money is nice but I like having a life. I actually use to have a radio show / interviews etc and helped organize community events for a large poker forum.
 
3
•••
Software Developer and still working
 
6
•••
DomainEasy: white label portfolios are live. Enable yours.

We're social

Escrow.com
Spaceship
Escrowly
CryptoExchange.com
Domain Recover
AIVikings
Catchy
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back