question How much domains actualy cost?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Mobo12

Established Member
Impact
How much domains actually cost?

Yes, that's my question.

I am not a pro domainer but I do have about 500+ domain under me and I kinda get confused seeing different prices everywhere.

eg: .com domains are offerd at 4.15$ for the first year at porkbun and on other hands the same extenstion is available at Instra at 56$ so how much a .com actually cost to registrar?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Few cents less than 8 dollars I think is what registrars pay the names (.com).

I am sure someone else here knows the exact price.

Registrars do some promotions to get new clients. I tried PorkBun for a few discounted hand regs and I like them. I registered also several dropped .org as they were offering the best price. For sure I will keep using them.

I registered a few .com at Amen.pt for free, yes they have this offer now. I was able to register 3 I think but I will transfer them out, if the registrar is not domainer friendly will not find new clients just with some promo. They can find some endusers that will buy hosting and will keep renewing the domain at not competitive price to avoid the hassle of transfer out...

Last edited:
•••
Pretty sure it is $7.85 .....if I'm wrong someone will chime in or you can Google it.......

•••
Pretty sure it is $7.85 .....if I'm wrong someone will chime in or you can Google it.......
even more confusion after seeing google result (n)

•••
•••
This site will give you an up to date price lists of almost every extension.

https://tld-list.com

Hope this helps.
Amr

•••
https://www.namebright.com

$8.03

Screenshot_2020-10-07-23-17-32-106_com.android.chrome.png

•••
.com is just under $8 + icann fee, so promos under $8 the registrars are losing money but they hope to make up for it from you renewing it at a higher price or upselling you other things. The cheapest no discount price is at sav which sales .com at $6.95 but renews at $8.38. They also can make more money if you let it expire and they auction it off. That could bring in hundreds to thousands.

Last edited:
•••
•••
Last edited:
•••
They sell at cost because they are in the reselling domain business. When you dont renew your name they get for them or auction it. This is why they can afford so cheap pricing...

I know.. just shared actual domain price..
$7.85+$.18=8.03

Last edited:
•••
For .com , $7.85 + $0.18 = $8.03

•••
At the end of the day, the most profitable ones are the registrars

•••
Registrars do some promotions to get new clients. I tried PorkBun for a few discounted hand regs and I like them. I registered also several dropped .org as they were offering the best price. For sure I will keep using them.
Isn't the porkbun price limited to one domain?
I thought it is only one and have been resitering orgs from SAV

•••
Isn't the porkbun price limited to one domain?
I thought it is only one and have been resitering orgs from SAV

I think the first 5 domains were discounted, in total, not 5 for every extension. But just try, as I don't recall exactly now, few months passed since I opened my account there.

Regular .org price is 7.62, it is the lowest at moment on the registrars I use. Maybe SAV is lower? I am not using them at moment...

Last edited:
•••
eg: .com domains are offerd at 4.15$ for the first year at porkbun and on other hands the same extenstion is available at Instra at 56$ so how much a .com actually cost to registrar?
The wholesale price to the registrar of a .com domain name is $7.85 (+$0.18 USD). There was to have been first stage of 4 years of price increase 7% per year but it was delayed by Verisign until Jan 1, 2021. Registries may offer some kind of limited-time, volume or other incentive rebate to registrars, as I understand it, but most of the time most registrars are paying Verisign $7.85+$0.18 and when you see first year, or transfer, prices less than that they are losing money, hoping you will buy other services or renew at a profitable price.
Bob

PS as others noted the Porkbun rate quoted is just for first 3 domains, or that was situation for me.

Last edited:
•••
Your question is silly Mobo12..The fact that you have over 500 domains you should know how much a domain costs ....What you need to do is divide 500 by however much money you spent ? Nevertheless I would hope you done made your money back by now ? SILLY

•••
I count 10 dollar for one .com domain. GLTA

•••
Few cents less than 8 dollars I think is what registrars pay the names (.com).

I am sure someone else here knows the exact price.

I registered a few .com at Amen.pt for free, yes they have this offer now. I was able to register 3 I think but I will transfer them out, if the registrar is not domainer friendly will not find new clients just with some promo. They can find some endusers that will buy hosting and will keep renewing the domain at not competitive price to avoid the hassle of transfer out...
Thanks for these two tips!

•••
Your question is silly Mobo12..The fact that you have over 500 domains you should know how much a domain costs ....What you need to do is divide 500 by however much money you spent ? Nevertheless I would hope you done made your money back by now ? SILLY
I disagree with you. It's like saying that a bloke was robbed at a gun point, losing $842 in cash, but his auntie gave him a $3k gift voucher towards his dream 8k TV for his birthday just a week earler, so (on average) two humans have him some $1.9k each.

Please consider applying logic, or at least common sense, before using strong words. Thank you.

•••
I disagree with you. It's like saying that a bloke was robbed at a gun point, losing $842 in cash, but his auntie gave him a $3k gift voucher towards his dream 8k TV for his birthday just a week earler, so (on average) two humans have him some $1.9k each.

Please consider applying logic, or at least common sense, before using strong words. Thank you.
Sorry :/

•••
•••

Yes, that's my question.

I am not a pro domainer but I do have about 500+ domain under me and I kinda get confused seeing different prices everywhere.

This is how it goes, as far as we understand it:

• ICANN fee: $0.18
  • Verisign, Inc. (the .com registry) fee: $7.85
  • +/- 3% credit card processing fee: usually $0.27 to $0.38, depending on the total amount charged by GD, namecheap, name, etc.
  • The rest is their profit (or loss, in case of promotionally subsidised domains)

•••
I know how much the domain cost me and yes I have made a good profit but that's not the point. I was just curious about how much it cost to registrars as they do offer very different prices.

•••
Technically domains cost nothing to produce as they are virtual addresses, but there are costs incurred managing organisational oversight, and registries, registrars, resellers, and taxes etc.

@Bob Hawkes has provided the clearest answer for costing.

Last edited:
•••
Back