NameSilo

How much domains actualy cost?

Labeled as question in General Domain Discussion, started by Mobo12, Oct 7, 2020

Replies:
Views:

1. Mobo12

Mobo12 Established Member

How much domains actually cost?

Yes, that's my question.

I am not a pro domainer but I do have about 500+ domain under me and I kinda get confused seeing different prices everywhere.

eg: .com domains are offerd at 4.15$ for the first year at porkbun and on other hands the same extenstion is available at Instra at 56$ so how much a .com actually cost to registrar?

The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
  2. passini

passini Established Member ★★★★★★★★★★

Few cents less than 8 dollars I think is what registrars pay the names (.com).

I am sure someone else here knows the exact price.

Registrars do some promotions to get new clients. I tried PorkBun for a few discounted hand regs and I like them. I registered also several dropped .org as they were offering the best price. For sure I will keep using them.

I registered a few .com at Amen.pt for free, yes they have this offer now. I was able to register 3 I think but I will transfer them out, if the registrar is not domainer friendly will not find new clients just with some promo. They can find some endusers that will buy hosting and will keep renewing the domain at not competitive price to avoid the hassle of transfer out...

Last edited: Oct 7, 2020
  3. NickB

NickB Wales.org VIP

Pretty sure it is $7.85 .....if I'm wrong someone will chime in or you can Google it.......

4. Mobo12

even more confusion after seeing google result (n)

5. NickB

NickB Wales.org VIP

Part of the fun is the research 🙂

6. AK85

AK85 covd.com Gold Account

This site will give you an up to date price lists of almost every extension.

https://tld-list.com

Hope this helps.
    Amr

7. Afzal N

Afzal N Established Member

8. DigitalRoar

DigitalRoar Investor & Creator VIP

.com is just under $8 + icann fee, so promos under $8 the registrars are losing money but they hope to make up for it from you renewing it at a higher price or upselling you other things. The cheapest no discount price is at sav which sales .com at $6.95 but renews at $8.38. They also can make more money if you let it expire and they auction it off. That could bring in hundreds to thousands.

9. passini

No code, but interface only in Portuguese...

10. passini

They sell at cost because they are in the reselling domain business. When you dont renew your name they get for them or auction it. This is why they can afford so cheap pricing...

11. Afzal N

Afzal N Established Member

I know.. just shared actual domain price..
    $7.85+$.18=8.03

Last edited: Oct 8, 2020
  12. Bipul

Bipul Established Member

For .com , $7.85 + $0.18 = $8.03

13. Mytz.com

Mytz.com Top 4L [email protected] IEIE.com CUTU.com NESU.com KKIK.com VIP Gold Account

At the end of the day, the most profitable ones are the registrars

14. blogspotter

blogspotter Top Contributor VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

Isn't the porkbun price limited to one domain?
    I thought it is only one and have been resitering orgs from SAV

15. passini

I think the first 5 domains were discounted, in total, not 5 for every extension. But just try, as I don't recall exactly now, few months passed since I opened my account there.

Regular .org price is 7.62, it is the lowest at moment on the registrars I use. Maybe SAV is lower? I am not using them at moment...

Last edited: Oct 9, 2020
  16. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Top Member NameTalent VIP Gold Account Trusted Blogger

The wholesale price to the registrar of a .com domain name is $7.85 (+$0.18 USD). There was to have been first stage of 4 years of price increase 7% per year but it was delayed by Verisign until Jan 1, 2021. Registries may offer some kind of limited-time, volume or other incentive rebate to registrars, as I understand it, but most of the time most registrars are paying Verisign $7.85+$0.18 and when you see first year, or transfer, prices less than that they are losing money, hoping you will buy other services or renew at a profitable price.
    Bob

PS as others noted the Porkbun rate quoted is just for first 3 domains, or that was situation for me.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2020
  17. LoodeX

LoodeX Restricted (Chatroom)

Your question is silly Mobo12..The fact that you have over 500 domains you should know how much a domain costs ....What you need to do is divide 500 by however much money you spent ? Nevertheless I would hope you done made your money back by now ? SILLY

18. PatrickV

PatrickV Established Member

I count 10 dollar for one .com domain. GLTA

19. s.g

s.g Supercalifragilisticex- pialidociously COOL Gold Account

Thanks for these two tips!

20. s.g

I disagree with you. It's like saying that a bloke was robbed at a gun point, losing $842 in cash, but his auntie gave him a $3k gift voucher towards his dream 8k TV for his birthday just a week earler, so (on average) two humans have him some $1.9k each.

Please consider applying logic, or at least common sense, before using strong words. Thank you.

21. LoodeX

LoodeX Restricted (Chatroom)

Sorry :/

22. s.g

Fair enough. Hope to see you around!

23. s.g

This is how it goes, as far as we understand it:

• ICANN fee: $0.18
    • Verisign, Inc. (the .com registry) fee: $7.85
    • +/- 3% credit card processing fee: usually $0.27 to $0.38, depending on the total amount charged by GD, namecheap, name, etc.
    • The rest is their profit (or loss, in case of promotionally subsidised domains)

24. Mobo12

I know how much the domain cost me and yes I have made a good profit but that's not the point. I was just curious about how much it cost to registrars as they do offer very different prices.

25. CraigD

CraigD 360promo.com VIP

Technically domains cost nothing to produce as they are virtual addresses, but there are costs incurred managing organisational oversight, and registries, registrars, resellers, and taxes etc.

@Bob Hawkes has provided the clearest answer for costing.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2020

Want to reply or ask your own question?

It only takes a minute to sign up – and it's free!
biix
  1. NamePros uses cookies and similar technologies. By using this site, you are agreeing to our privacy policy, terms, and use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice