Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
From the WSJ:

Google to Launch
Its Own Web Browser
By JESSICA E. VASCELLARO and ROBERT A. GUTH
September 1, 2008 5:54 p.m.

Google Inc. confirmed that it plans to launch its own Web browser, in the latest twist in a battle with Microsoft Corp. over key Internet technologies.

The Internet company, in a posting on its Web site Monday, indicated that a beta version of the software would be available for download on Tuesday.

The company said the software is designed to make it easier and faster to browse the Web, by offering enhanced address-bar features and other elements that are very different from those on other browsers. The product will be open-sourced, meaning others can modify the code.

"We realized that the web had evolved from mainly simple text pages to rich, interactive applications and that we needed to completely rethink the browser," wrote Sundar Pichai, a Google vice president of product management. "What we really needed was not just a browser, but also a modern platform for web pages and applications, and that's what we set out to build."

News of the project spread after an unconventional leak. Google Blogoscoped, a blog that follows the company, reported Monday that Google had sent it a comic book outlining the specifications of the browser -- which include a new format for "tabs" and the ability to view Web pages as thumbnails.

The launch is a risky move for Google, which competes against Microsoft's search service but has so far refrained from taking on the near-monopoly of its Internet Explorer browser. While there has been speculation for years that Google has been working on a browser, the Internet company has preferred to focus on Web applications and supported other browsers trying to compete indirectly.

Google's browser could create problems for the Mozilla Foundation, the organization that builds Firefox, a free browser that has become increasingly popular lately.

Google has been a partner with the Mozilla organization, providing engineering expertise and finances that are used to develop Firefox. Google and Mozilla last week renewed their agreement, which was set to expire in November, extending it until 2011.

A person close to Google said support for Mozilla is likely to continue.

Google has been working on the product for about two years, according to one person familiar with the matter. Work became more serious after Microsoft launched Internet Explorer 7 in 2006, according to one person familiar with the project. Google grew concerned that the browser would make it easier for Microsoft to route users to Microsoft's search service, which could hurt Google's market share.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
my guess is that this will enable google to further personalize searches and services that it provides. i wonder if google's browser will outfox (pun intended) firefox, and how many people make the permanent move over.

•••
I don't trust G. I'll be sticking with Firefox

•••
This is going to get interesting ...

MS has been neglecting the browser for a long time so GBrowser needs

to be better that FF3 and Opera ...

how long before the Google OS comes out after that ? :guilty:

Last edited:
•••
I'll have a try with google browser, it should be better than firefox though I've sticked with ff for some years

•••
this is where they can put adsense on the browser itself, remember those get paid to browse with their browsers full of ads?

•••
Lots of "chrome" domain registrations.

I thought about a few, but who needs the aggravation that Google can bring?

I am also wondering why Google wouldn't have registered a few obvious domain names. They either don't care, conclude they will just get them back, or are head faking on the name.

Time will tell.

Regards,

Sags

•••
I say get in there and register. Chrome is, after all, a generic word.

Just bagged me 3 good ones.

btw sags, where can you view these live registrations? I'd love to see it. Thanks

btw, here is the "comic book" press releases. Scour it for potential keywords for domains :D

http://www.google.com/googlebooks/chrome/

•••
www.AmCy.org said:
I don't trust G. I'll be sticking with Firefox

:sold:

•••
Faster browsing with true blocked pop-ups. I can see many users switching.
Better JS engine and less memory leaks.

•••
I already familiar with FireFox. So, I think I will still stick with Firefox.

•••
I can only see good come from this, even if the opensource code winds up back in firefox to support multi-threading.

cosmicray said:
how long before the Google OS comes out after that ? :guilty:

I think you'll find this is the starting point of the OS...the OS is no longer on your computer....its on the Internet, or at least thats where its heading.

Chrome will become a web-based OS, and I'm not talking about one of those crummy flash things either ;)

•••
RickM said:
I can only see good come from this, even if the opensource code winds up back in firefox to support multi-threading.

I think you'll find this is the starting point of the OS...the OS is no longer on your computer....its on the Internet, or at least thats where its heading.

Chrome will become a web-based OS, and I'm not talking about one of those crummy flash things either ;)

I've been saying this for the past two years to anyone who would listen.. They WILL have an OS that will compete with Apple and MS

•••
I think Search Engines should focus on their
original task, without invading so many other
fields. Still, obviously, Google is probably the sole
company with the resources necessary to launch
a technically presentable, completely
independent browser engine to contend
the market of MSIE & Mozilla with some
serious chance of success, visibility and
trend-setting

However until this browser
doesn't reach a stable marketshare
of - let's say - at least 8/10%, it won't be
a relevant player. Moreover, in no way
it should be allowed to rekindle the
"browser compatibility" / "best viewed
with" etc issues of the recent past. On
this regard, it shouldn't be "endorsed"
by web-developers as "wonderful alternative" -
either Google makes a 101% compatible browser
that visualizes perfectly each & any pages
tested on/ optimized for Mozilla & MSIE,
without causing further troubles, or else
we don't need it.

•••
So has anyone bought any good domains yet? I remember the rush for "zune" domains. And this looks to be more successful....

•••
•••
mplswifi said:
I've been saying this for the past two years to anyone who would listen.. They WILL have an OS that will compete with Apple and MS

I agree. It's an evolution that makes perfect sense. The computer is basically going to one day become an internet tool where booting should take you directly to the web. All applications will eventually be online instead of local. The need for a simpler OS is imho very important and Vista is a step in the wrong direction. It's big, cumbersome, and well...just plain annoying.

I am an avid Opera user but so far...been unhappy with 9.5x version. I am not a fan of Firefox either so a Google Browser is a welcoming addition to the browser choices for me.

•••
I've installed it. It's incredibly light and fast.

•••
I tested it out.

Well, a few good things:

It's made by Google
It's simple

But TOO simple. It looks like something preschoolers would use. There's really no buttons, looks like no addons, etc. Maybe they will look at it in the future, and go with something better.

•••
DebacleX said:
I tested it out.

Well, a few good things:

It's made by Google
It's simple

But TOO simple. It looks like something preschoolers would use. There's really no buttons, looks like no addons, etc. Maybe they will look at it in the future, and go with something better.
yes ,but remember it is GOOGLE.
Google gadgets or apps most likely will plug straight in.

I am a LONGTIME supporter of Mozilla and Firefox/SeaMonkey

But I swapped to Chrome instantly it was available.

•••
I like it, so far. I can't use it as my default until they come up with some developer type extensions, like Firebug for Firefox (not a day goes by I don't use that for *something*) But over all, I like it. It feels pretty minimal. I hope they don't bloat it out.

•••
It would be interesting to see if they (Google/Chrome) allow add-ins such as Adblock Plus in Firefox. I actually couldn't live without this add-in.

sooty said:
Faster browsing with true blocked pop-ups. I can see many users switching.
Better JS engine and less memory leaks.

•••
•••
Ruining smooth, cool stuff to explore, only one more option required- change color of chrome browser skin...

•••
Chrome might be used to monitor and track users.Might become a problem.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back